budget-$1400 tube w/ preamp outs
Apr 3, 2009 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
$1400 is the price of a maxxed Woo 6, but it doesn't have pre-amp outputs.
If I got a wa6se, which upgrades are essential?

Does the wa6se run 2 headphones just as well as it runs one headphone?

The amp has to be able to run AD2000 and Markl D5000 (low impedence)

BTW,
how are the MD5000s with tubes? I searched and found conflicting opinions.

Regards

Apr 3, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #3 of 11
I see no reason the WA6 can't be used a pre-amp as is (just run signal from headphone jack, or of course you can ask them to wire another pair of RCAs for you).

As for D5000 being run from a tube amp, it is not recommended generally as tubes basically NEVER drive low impedance loads well directly (low impedance = hard load on tubes) and usually have electrolytic caps on the output (which are almost never large enough to save the bass/phase distortion).

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1400 is the price of a maxxed Woo 6, but it doesn't have pre-amp outputs.
If I got a wa6se, which upgrades are essential?

Does the wa6se run 2 headphones just as well as it runs one headphone?

The amp has to be able to run AD2000 and Markl D5000 (low impedence)

BTW,
how are the MD5000s with tubes? I searched and found conflicting opinions.

Regards

The Woo 6 has a transformer coupled output with switchable transformer taps for both high and low impedance headphones. So, this Woo tube amp will drive low impedance headphones just fine. OTL tube amps with cap coupled outputs are the type of tube amps that can have trouble with delivering enough current .... to headphones like the D5000 that have both a low impedance and lower sensitivity.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 11
How about a maxed out Woo WA2? It has 4 inputs and a preamp out. Since it uses an output tube, rectifier, and choke for each channel, it should have more than enough power for low impedance headphones..

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 11
I as just to suggest this alternative. Mine Maxed WA6 is shipped with with Pre-Out option though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that you can custom order the WA6 with preamp out for an additional $100.

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FallenAngel, is the Dynalo the same as the Gilmore Lite?

How about the GS-1?
Does it go well with AD2000's

I don't know the exact differences, but they're quite similar. If I recall, I bought all the parts for a Dynalo three years ago for about $100, not counting the case, pot, jacks, etc.

For $1,400, you could commission a Dynamid, or a Gilmore Reference. That's a balanced and bridged Dynalo. Even if you don't have a balanced source or cans, you could just run it bridged which (in my opinion) gives you most of the benefit of running balanced. You can also bridge and balance most other DIY amps, if that interests you.

As for tube amps, the average OTL will struggle with an inefficient low impedance load. Tube amps with output transformers designed to drive low impedance loads will do fine. The problem there is that quality output trandsformers will run $150-$300+ each. You can get $500 into those without even buying another part. That's why you'll see so many OTL designs for headphones - that is to keep prices down.

Anyhow, be sure to consider the DIY/custom angle. Your dollar will go further and DIY designs are, in my opinion, terrific. They're picked over by a small army of knowledgeable geeks who then build them. If there are any problems with the design, they get hammered out. Commercial designs don't get nearly as much scrutiny. DIY designs tend to be more innovative, too, since most spring from a creative impulse rather than trying to design something that will appeal to the most people and sell the most units. Don't get me wrong, there are excellent commercial offerings, but DIY is decidedly more adventurous. I like that in my gear.

Also, be sure to consider used amps. You do not have to buy new and a mess of great used amps turn up all the time. You can save 50% or more buying used. Don't worry too much about warranties, etc. Most amps in that price bracket are made very well and should be reliable for years. Also consider that the price of a repair would likely have a lower total cost than buying new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back