Brown stuff on my tubes?
Jun 27, 2009 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I just took my tubes out for the first time in a while to adjust the gain on my LD MK2 and I noticed this:

2ps13k7.jpg

It appears to be some sort of baked on somethingness. It's quite hard and can't really be scratched off. On both tubes it appears only on the side which is facing the hottest part of the amp (the big power thing at the back).

Anyone know what it is and whether it's affecting the sound?

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Don't touch the tubes whilst eating chocolate
biggrin.gif

So you say it is only at the part of the tube that is close to the metal cube behind the tubes, no? It just seems something was burnt. Maybe something fell on top of it and it got burnt. If you see both tubes have different markings.

Anyone else with the Mk2 reports the same?

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Was there tape or a label on the tubes when you got them? Some of the sticky part might have been left behind, then congealed with dust and baked on over time.

I'd take it off with a razor blade and/or mineral spirits, denatured alcohol or acetone. Those usually take gunk right off. They won't hurt the tubes.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't think there were any stickers...

I'll try removing it the way you describe. I'm probably due for new tubes anyway, since these were the cheap chinese ones that came with the LD MK 2.

Is mineral spirits the same as methylated spirits?

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 9
Mystery of the bloody tubes.

Time to call the Hardee Boys.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 9
Looks like flux resin. Are the tubes inside the body of the amp? It might be something touching the tubes and have melted (like wire insulation or transformer varnish). Maybe blood?

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is mineral spirits the same as methylated spirits?

No, mineral spirits are like turpentine or paint thinner. Methylated spirits are the same as denatured alcohol. Either should work, though. If there's any nail polish remover around, that should also work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back