Brief Odac impressions
Jun 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #287 of 2,018
His page should be accessible without a FB account. All the ordering is done in a Google spreadsheet. Fantastic guy to deal with.

Jun 27, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #288 of 2,018
Does your ODAC have both 3.5mm and RCA for line-out?

Headnhifi have an ODAC option that can have both 3.5 + RCA connections in a small enclosure. Check this site for pictures and more details:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/211577-odac-european-worldwide-pre-orders-17.html#post3067236

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #289 of 2,018
Quote:

Yes, every bit as so. I have been listening to bifrost and odac for several days. It's not easy to get your ears around the subtlety of the differences. After three days of listening, I would give the nod to the bifrost by a hair. The sound stage is a touch wider and the instrument separation and "layering of sound" both a touch better also. I have to go back and forth several times and really listen for the difference. 

Odac is a really good dac and goes head to head with the bifrost. Both are great!!

This was my experience comparing the two as well.  Although I attributed the ever so slight edge i thought heard from the bifrost to subjectivity, as my tests were not blind.   

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #290 of 2,018
Quote:
Headnhifi have an ODAC option that can have both 3.5 + RCA connections in a small enclosure. Check this site for pictures and more details:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/head-n-hifi-walter/211577-odac-european-worldwide-pre-orders-17.html#post3067236

From the pictures it looks like one or the other, not both   The one on the right is the same as the far left with different color enclosure.  The middle has the 1/8 output.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #291 of 2,018
Quote:
Same here too actually, it worked fine on my home rig, but when I took it to work last week it simply stopped working.  If I left it alone for a few minutes it would pick up but then after a bit go out again.  Confusing to say the least, just like Anax said.  

It happened again but this time I was home and was able to isolate it to the O2, not the ODAC.  Might just be in need of a charge.  For you long-time O2 owners, does the LED still light when the battery is too low to amplify?

Quote:

No, my PWD and HD800s kill the rig I'm using w/ the ODAC.  See below (all Wav btw).

What?  And what rig is that exactly?  (Your signature is just a list of components, unless I'm missing something)

Have you tried...

PWD > S7 > HD800
vs.
ODAC > S7 > HD800

...or...

PWD > O2 > HD800
vs.
ODAC > O2 > HD800

...opinion?

So...now that I have my HD800s back and have done some preliminary listening, I'll say that the ODAC is a little beast!  It's extracting pretty much what's on the recording on a topical level, and that in itself an achievement given it's price.  But there are a few subtleties that I'm not ready to opine on yet.  Subtleties like ambiance, and to a lesser degree: stage and imaging.  All of those elements (to me) lend to how natural tracks feel  I can't really point out what exactly is missing on the ODAC compared to the Zodiac but on some recordings I feel the Zodiac has been coming off a little more natural, with ambiance proper.  The ODAC very slightly less so.  Overall very happy with my purchase so far.

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #292 of 2,018
Quote:

I was responding to the idea that I've just discovered flaws in my recordings as if somehow the ODAC was some sort of revelation compared to the gear I already own.  Most of my impressions have been using the UHA6S via PWD/ODAC/Nokia N8>UHA6S Cirrus DAC w/ UERM.

I've tried all the above except the O2 as it's the third most transparent amp I own behind the UHA6S and Super 7 so there's no point.  A friend is using it at the moment since I don't listen to it.  I've said everything I'm ever going to say about that amp so there's nothing more to add.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #293 of 2,018
Quote:

I was responding to the idea that I've just discovered flaws in my recordings as if somehow the ODAC was some sort of revelation compared to the gear I already own.  Most of my impressions have been using the UHA6S via PWD/ODAC/Nokia N8>UHA6S Cirrus DAC w/ UERM.

I've tried all the above except the O2 as it's the third most transparent amp I own behind the UHA6S and Super 7 so there's no point.  A friend is using it at the moment since I don't listen to it.  I've said everything I'm ever going to say about that amp so there's nothing more to add.

I see, but I wasn't really interested in your opinion of the amp.  I've read, and participated in that lengthy O2 thread out there.  From what I recall you and I pretty much have the same stance on the amp (as in we don't really agree with the congregation 100%).  Was more interested in the PWD and ODAC comparison (however preliminary) with whatever amp fits the bill and drives the HD800s.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #294 of 2,018
Quote:

I see, but I wasn't really interested in your opinion of the amp. 

Well you actually named it, so.....

I'll have more on the ODAC/PWD > S7 > HD800 later.  I hear the differences already w/ the portable rig mentioned, the HD800 rig will amplify it.  I do want to sort the issues I've had w/ the ODAC first though so I can get a consistent point of reference.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #295 of 2,018
Quote:

From the pictures it looks like one or the other, not both   The one on the right is the same as the far left with different color enclosure.  The middle has the 1/8 output.

Your are right about the pictures and about Headnhifi not selling an ODAC with both outputs together as a product, however they do suply the back plate and RCA connectors as a DIY kit to add to their Standalone 3.5 ODAC. Please have a look over at that DIYaudio thread for more details on this, but I'm pretty sure they do.

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #296 of 2,018
I am monitoring this thread, subscribed
popcorn.gif
More impressions please!
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #298 of 2,018
Just got my ODAC from the mail. What a great sounding USB DAC.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #300 of 2,018
Quote:

It happened again but this time I was home and was able to isolate it to the O2, not the ODAC.  Might just be in need of a charge.  For you long-time O2 owners, does the LED still light when the battery is too low to amplify?

Yes, the light will stay on.  That's thrown me for a loop once or twice.
:)
BG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back