Brief Odac impressions
Jun 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #256 of 2,018
I just added an external linear power supply to the ODAC and the performance improvement is immediate. No longer sounds strained and now the soundstage is nice and wide (I am using speakers not headphones). Overall 'clinical' quality is still there but certainly could be due to other factors. So power is definitely a factor in my case.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #257 of 2,018
Quote:
Sounds like a case of the DAC being too revealing of poorly mastered content, perhaps.

Not that I always agree with Anax on issues of DACs and amps but I don't think it's too likely he would have missed that...

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #259 of 2,018
Reportedly, using a USB cable with a ferrite choke at the ODAC-end results in a measurable improvement. I'm curious how much subjective improvement this simple change makes.

Wushuliu,
Are you just using 5v supply (leaving the negative rail to the internal charge-pump in the  ES9023)? And how are you addressing power on sequencing?

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #261 of 2,018
Quote:
Reportedly, using a USB cable with a ferrite choke at the ODAC-end results in a measurable improvement. I'm curious how much subjective improvement this simple change makes.

Huzzah! That makes sense! My USB cable has a ferrite choke.

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #262 of 2,018
Quote:
I just added an external linear power supply to the ODAC and the performance improvement is immediate. No longer sounds strained and now the soundstage is nice and wide (I am using speakers not headphones). Overall 'clinical' quality is still there but certainly could be due to other factors. So power is definitely a factor in my case.

hmm, interesting

what are you running the ODAC out of that makes the external power necessary?  laptop?  tablet? 

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #266 of 2,018
Quote:
what about a 3.5mm in and using an RCA-3.5mm adapter

its not ideal, but would that compromise the signal to anything noticible?

Im afraid you might be confused, this isnt a headphone amp. this is just a Digital to Analog Converter. The only way to input a digital signal to this particular DAC is through the USB interface

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #268 of 2,018
Quote:
Sounds like a case of the DAC being too revealing of poorly mastered content, perhaps.

No, my PWD and HD800s kill the rig I'm using w/ the ODAC.  See below (all Wav btw).

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #269 of 2,018
Quote:
Huzzah! That makes sense! My USB cable has a ferrite choke.

Sweet, let me try that.

Quote:
So, what tracks was he using with the ODAC?

Shakti - La Dance Du Bonheur

Spyro Gyra - Groovin' for Grover

Tony Rice - Fiddler Medley

Green Day - American Idiot

Feist - Mushaboom

Gypsy Kings - Passion

Butthole Surfers - Let's Talk about Cars

Godsmack - Whatever/Voodoo

Eagles - Hotel California (Hell Freezes over)

Carole King and James Taylor - Fire and Rain

Lionel Richie - Stuck on You

Bread - Baby I'm A want You

Sublime - What I Got (Reprise)/Santeria

Bobby McFerrin - Bang!Zoom/Friends

Kool & the Gang - Ladies Night

Commodores - Nightshift

Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines

Tori Amos - Little Amsterdam

Madonna - Holiday/La Isla Bonita/Lucky Star

Hall and Oates - I Can't Go for That

Daft Punk - Recognizer/Sea of Simulation

Sacrosanct Toucan - Overdream

Various other binaural recordings and test tones, etc.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #270 of 2,018
Theres a possible fix... and if it doesn't fix the wubwub sound it minimizes the buffer lag with wasapi, so even at 1 sec the delay is non existent. Supposedly the later versions of foobar are having small issues with wasapi 2, but switching to wasapi beta 3, 4 or 5 fixes the problem. Im running 5 right now and was pleasantly surprised to find the lag improvements. As well you can switch playback modes on the fly... useful for comparing audio equipment :wink:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=94907

Quote:
Playing music through my ODAC with Foobar + wasapi output and on 3 occasions so far, strange electronic noise starts starts invading the sound. It disappears after stopping playback but it is annoying when it does occur. The noise itself is rather difficult to describe and isn't like any other electronic interference I've heard before. Only thing I can compare it to is (I'm not joking here) is a dubstep track's beat. Wubwubwubwub. lol...

Edit: Ok just happened again as I was scrolling with my mouse. Guessing I've got the buffer in Foobar set too low. Annoying having a delay between input and playback though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back