Brief comparison of the ATH A1000, A100Ti and W1000
Jan 8, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
ablaze
HI: I had the A100ti and they were great sounding till the ATH-A1000 came out. The A1000 has the D.A.D.S. system and that makes a huge difference

I have to comment on this, Lou. You sold your A100Ti before you'd even heard the A1000, so I find it a bit misleading for you to say that they were great sounding until the A1000 came out - you've never actually compared the two phones!

On a side note - I've had the A100 and my HD580 for a few months now, and believe it or not, I largely prefer listening to the 580 - mainly because of the better midrange. I probably should've held off on my initial comments, because both the 580 and A100 weren't fully burned in yet. Vocals, while very clear on the A100, lack the body the 580 gives them. Also, the 580 has a little more bottom end heft, although it's slightly bloated in comparison to the A100. Add in the more natural soundstage, and that's why the 580s come out on top for me.

In fact, I'm considering letting my A100 go, although I would like to have a good closed phone.

So my question for Kevin is this - how does the midrange of the A1000 compare with the A100 - is it noticeable fuller, or are the two very similar in that regard?

Jan 8, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

HI KEVEN: How are you? You are selling the ATH-A1000. You said that you are selling them. except the A1000 because I believe they are redundant) is what you said. Can you tell me how they are redundant? Its ok if that is how you feel.

Hi Lou

The W1000 and the A1000 sound the same to me. Keeping both would be redundant.

Jan 8, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
So my question for Kevin is this - how does the midrange of the A1000 compare with the A100 - is it noticeable fuller, or are the two very similar in that regard?

The A1000 midrange is noticeably fuller.

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
I have to comment on this, Lou. You sold your A100Ti before you'd even heard the A1000, so I find it a bit misleading for you to say that they were great sounding until the A1000 came out - you've never actually compared the two phones!

I wcho Kevin's comments abut the midrange.
As for the quote above, I don't think it's any different to most of the comparisons on this board. And a lot better than many recommendations which are based on reading other people's posts!

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #35 of 51
Just adding to the HD600 vs AT debate, I agree with Duncan that the HD600's are 'sweeter' than certainly the 900. The A1000's have a more direct quality and once again, it's a different characteristic to the HD600.
What I would say though is that there was definitely some sort of obstruction(?) in the sound of the stock HD600. It was almost a textual quality. However I expected Duncan to find the HD600's slightly superior on the whole based purely in evaluations of sound.
With the A-T's though, there's a practicality issue as well. We can't all listen in deathly quiet rooms. We may have work colleagues who give you dirty looks when even your most sublime of jazz is leaking from your Grados. For sheer practicality while still retaining true 'audiophile' levels of sound in a variety of environments, the A-T A900 and to just a slightly lesser level, the A1000 (becaue I think it's slightly less closed) are impossible for Grado and the HD600 to beat.

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:31 PM Post #36 of 51
AdamP88
YEH I sold the AT100ti before I ever heard the A1000 and never said otherwise. I took a chance on what I read about the A1000 and immediately sold my A100ti and had to wait for my A1000. So did many other members buy the A1000 and W1000 on the blind. Now what do you find misleading about the fact that even before I got the A1000 I thought that the D.A.D.S. system would be great on what I had read. I really don't like you saying that I was misleading if in fact I was not. I find that you are misleading this fact. I posted that I think that the ATH-A1000 with the D.A,D,S, system would be better than my A100ti and in fact they are better. I hope this is just a misunderstanding and not a sarcasm or put down on your part.

Jan 8, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #37 of 51
Williamgoody.

When I put the HD 600 up agaisnt the A 1000, I used the clou blue cable. Maybe the Cardas are better than the Clou and that is the reason the HD 600 sound better to you than the A 1000 on the same eqiupment. What do you think? Maybe I should have got antoher cable instead of another phone
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, I sure like the sound of the A 1000. I have the Grado SR 225 and I will put that up agaisnt the A 1000 and let you know what I think. Thanks

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #38 of 51
That's possible. I use the equinox cable with mine. But I really like my 600's with the stock cable as well.

Like I said before, if the AT's suit you, fine. It's all good. I describe them personally as "Grado sound in a closed headphone". I'm also not a big fan of closed phones necessarily. That another reason the Grado's to me have a better sound, being open cans. I just find that the 600's to be do a better job of what you describe the AT1000's as doing well. But if someone needed a closed set of cans for rock, I'd recommend the AT's, having never heard any Beyerdynamics.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #39 of 51
Kevin,

Thanks for the review of these cans, and for clearing up some of the misnomers about the differences in them, to your ears. Great job making the review simple and easily read without technical jargon and easily mistaken terms. Nice read all around.

It's hard to believe that the W-A comparison yielded no discernible difference to both you and your wife. I wonder if it makes it worthwhile, other than for aesthetics reasons, to pay the extra $60 or so for them?? I hope some othes pipe in with a comparison bwtween some of these cans.

Make sure to keep us updated once you get in those W100s. It'd b enice to hear a direct comparison to the W/A1000s again and see what you think of them.

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #40 of 51
I am still looking forward to a detailed review of the cd3000 vs w1000/a1000. I have the sony v6 and i have say that i can't part with them (even tho' I have other phones). I love the intimacy of closed phones and the details the sony provide without having to turn up the volume. After listening the grado sr125 for period of time (with bowl pads), i even begin to think that the v6 is warm sounding (while many say they are not, i am grado & bowl pads for that). I absolutely love the bass of the v6, i like it for its deepnees, detail and smoothness. It amazes me everytime when i put them on. I am worried that the AT will be a let down in the bass department so maybe I should remain loyal and upgrade to the high end of sony's line. Maybe I am already too accustomed to the sony signature sound (assuming the cd3000 sounds anything remotely close to the v6) that i will dislike any AT cans. Too damn many mabyes, maybe i should just let them charge my card and buy those damn phones so i can stop wondering how they sound.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #41 of 51
Pepsi1,

Just for you I hooked-up both my V6s and CD3K to the Impedancer. After listening to the CD3K putting on the V6s yielded:

A much more muddled sound that was distant an uninvolving. IOW, you didn't have the warmth of having your own mini-concert in the CD cans. The bass is deeper in the V6, but not as tight or good sounding. Vocals and instruments on the CD3Ks kill the V6s quite handily. The same goes for soundstage, which is extended in every direction.

Compared to the CD3K the V6 is dry, uninvolving, dramatically compressed in teh soundstage, and all around yucky.

[EDIT] the details of the CD3K also KILL those of the V6s also.
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/IEDT]

Jan 9, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #42 of 51
Thanks Kevin for the informative review.

you say...
<The only real differences are the materials used and the joints that pivot to accomodate different head sizes. The A1000 are clearly the winner when I comes moving the earcups in a variety of different configurations>

and you say that all three headphones are comfortable.

The pics shown on the audiocubes site make it look as if there is some (maybe slight) difference between the pads of the W and the A.

Did you discern ANY difference in comfort, feel, texture of pads, or pressure/weight among the phones?

Jan 9, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

AdamP88
YEH I sold the AT100ti before I ever heard the A1000 and never said otherwise. I took a chance on what I read about the A1000 and immediately sold my A100ti and had to wait for my A1000. So did many other members buy the A1000 and W1000 on the blind. Now what do you find misleading about the fact that even before I got the A1000 I thought that the D.A.D.S. system would be great on what I had read. I really don't like you saying that I was misleading if in fact I was not. I find that you are misleading this fact. I posted that I think that the ATH-A1000 with the D.A,D,S, system would be better than my A100ti and in fact they are better. I hope this is just a misunderstanding and not a sarcasm or put down on your part.

The only thing I think is misleading is that you said the A100 was great until the A1000 came out. To me (and maybe this is just me, I dunno), that seems to imply that you've compared the two and that the A1000 obviously comes out on top, when in fact you haven't really compared the two at all. I'm not saying that you made a big mistake or that you're just being plain dishonest, just that to me that comment was a little misleading. No big deal - just a little nit to pick - I didn't mean to seem like I was jumping all over ya.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kevin & bangraman: I'm glad to hear that the A1000 has a noticeably fuller midrange. The midrange is my chief complaint with the A100, and it's a bit frustrating because basically all the other aspects of the phone are either equal or better than my 580 in my system, but the midrange is almost sterile in comparison.

Damn...I think I may have to squeeze an A1000 into my budget. Actually I'm going to go for a better amp first. The OBH-11 has served me well, but I see (and hear) it's limitations and I'm getting that craving for something better. And the Gilmore Dynamic looks very appealing...

Jan 9, 2003 at 8:05 AM Post #44 of 51
Adam...

If you can, audition first... the AT sound that i've heard as i've said a few times, is more closed in (not as open / free sounding) in the midrange than that of the Sennheisers... it might not appeal to your taste

Jan 9, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
I absolutely love the bass of the v6, i like it for its deepnees, detail and smoothness. It amazes me everytime when i put them on. I am worried that the AT will be a let down in the bass department so maybe I should remain loyal and upgrade to the high end of sony's line.
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think anyone would find the bass on the A1000 or W1000 lacking. It is very present and well defined, with a bit of punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back