Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,066 of 6,668
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,067 of 6,668
That's really amazing. Is the build quality the same, as in durability of the Ak100ii or 120ii? I would like, if I did purchase another DAP, for it to be durable, I'd like to use it for the gym, for walking outside, etc. I am not fond of the look of the 240 but either ak100ii or ak120ii are both beautiful.

Both are pretty close to the AK240... as both are machined from a solid block of aluminum.  The only major difference that I can see is the use of carbon fiber on the back of the AK240, versus something other than that for the AK100II and AK120II.  Still, I don't imagine that the carbon fiber makes THAT much of a difference.  So assuming that the internals are assembled similarly well, then yeah, the durability should be roughly on par as well.

They certainly feel as solid as the AK240... though I can't be absolutely sure because our resident drop tester (a.k.a. klutz) HiFiGuy528 hasn't gotten a hold of them yet.
tongue.gif

You mean like a beater audiophile DAP?  Simply for the fact that it costs much less, I'd award the AK120II that role.  However, I would like to point out that the AK240 we tested and reviewed is one tough SOB.  It stood up to multiple drops, and I challenged anyone and everyone to find even so much as a mark on it.  They - including Amos - could not.

Yea, a beater DAP, I like that. I love my new ak240, but I would hate to have a $2500 mistake or accident. Not that $1700 one is ok but it is less. Thanks.

Jim

Lol, now that I think about it... if it's for biking, the gym, etc., then the AK100II would serve well too.  I think, given the ambient noise and the noises inherent to those activities, the SQ improvement to be had from going to the AK120II or AK240 would be masked.

Only on head-fi would a $1700 DAP be considered a "beater"... Lol, this place and most of us are nuts.

biggrin.gif

Here's another quick pic.  Love this combo!

How many drops so far? 
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #1,070 of 6,668
Could you imagine what an otter box or life box might look like for one of these players?  :)  

Seriously, the AK Products look so nice, I wish even the leather case was not needed.  Great black and white photo btw.

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #1,072 of 6,668
  I'm pretty sure the difference is the 240 is made out of aircraft grade duralumin and the 120ii is "normal" aluminum. i haven't dropped either of them. Yet.

Lol, yup.  We made a little joke about that in our review. 
biggrin.gif

I wish even the leather case was not needed.

Actually, it's not. 
smile.gif
  The unit we reviewed didn't have an accompanying case (it was way in advance of the nicely boxed units).  Multiple drops and not a scratch on it.

In case y'all don't know what review I'm talking about:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/707432/review-astell-kern-ak240

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,073 of 6,668
New canadian distributor getting A&K in this fall. I can't wait to get my hands on the AK120 II now 
smily_headphones1.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #1,075 of 6,668

Any chance of making this into a wallpaper? This would look lovely on my monitor :wink: Pleeeaaase :)

Thank you for liking my pic.  :)

dropbox link:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/318362/Photos/_MG_4484.JPG

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,077 of 6,668

Both are pretty close to the AK240... as both are machined from a solid block of aluminum.  The only major difference that I can see is the use of carbon fiber on the back of the AK240, versus something other than that for the AK100II and AK120II.  Still, I don't imagine that the carbon fiber makes THAT much of a difference.  So assuming that the internals are assembled similarly well, then yeah, the durability should be roughly on par as well.

They certainly feel as solid as the AK240... though I can't be absolutely sure because our resident drop tester (a.k.a. klutz) HiFiGuy528 hasn't gotten a hold of them yet.
tongue.gif

Lol, now that I think about it... if it's for biking, the gym, etc., then the AK100II would serve well too.  I think, given the ambient noise and the noises inherent to those activities, the SQ improvement to be had from going to the AK120II or AK240 would be masked.

biggrin.gif

How many drops so far? 
tongue.gif

In fact the carbon fiber contributes nothing to the DAP's performance and is a piece of cosmetic.

You are very right that for physical activities any DAPs will do the job as music is just become a background while your breathing might even more noisier than the music LOL. 

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #1,078 of 6,668
  Newbie question: 

Does the AK100 II Optical Out bypass its internal amp? I am planning to attached it a Bottlehead Crack and I want the internal amp to by bypassed. 

I'm brave enough to say yes.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,079 of 6,668
Aug 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,080 of 6,668
New canadian distributor getting A&K in this fall. I can't wait to get my hands on the AK120 II now 
smily_headphones1.gif

Too bad the Canadian markets have been put into low priority by a lot of marketers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back