Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #4,201 of 6,668
  Noob question, it seems that the only difference between AK100II and AK120II is the single DAC vs dual DAC. So what are the advantages of this? Does it effect the sound quality at all?

These numbers, in my opinion, matter if you are considering using demanding IEMs or headphones:  

1. AK100ii : Unbalance 2.0Vrms / Balance 1.7Vrms 

1. AK120ii : Unbalance 2.1Vrms / Balance 2.3Vrms 

That is 35% more power in balanced mode, and similar to the 3-brick iBasso stack my 120ii replaced. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #4,202 of 6,668
  Albums are sorted by year? I just thought they didn't know how to sort alphabetically. :)

If you're on a Mac, you can't really use it as storage. You're stuck with that hideous, buggy monstrosity called Android File Transfer. If you run that, make sure you save all your files first, because it has an excellent chance of freezing your computer and requiring a restart.

On Mac I bought SyncMate which allow you to mount the AK100ii 
It's not the smoothest ride, but it works

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #4,204 of 6,668
So my Line Out button is gone when I turn the volume wheel. I tried resetting the settings but nothing... It's not a super big deal, I'm just curious what happened.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #4,207 of 6,668
Try and swipe down from the top of the screen and reselect the Line Out and see if it comes back that way.

Yeah I tried that plenty of times too. And nothing.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #4,211 of 6,668
Comparing the AK100ii and the AK120ii. I have saw that some people said the AK120ii is better for balanced output. What if I am not using balance output? Will there be a huge difference?

For unbalanced, the only difference is a little more power: so for IEMs it shouldn't matter, and might only make a difference for higher impedance headphones. Sound quality should be the same (unbalanced). Some people say they notice a difference but most realize once they turn up the volume on AK100ii, it's the same.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #4,212 of 6,668
For unbalanced, the only difference is a little more power: so for IEMs it shouldn't matter, and might only make a difference for higher impedance headphones. Sound quality should be the same (unbalanced). Some people say they notice a difference but most realize once they turn up the volume on AK100ii, it's the same.

i have the AK120ii and when using my angies, balanced seems to increase clarity (for lack of a better term) and overall the sound is more pleasing-hard to describe. But I think you really need resolving headphones/iems to hear the difference.

My two cents.

CJ

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #4,213 of 6,668

Comparing the AK100ii and the AK120ii. I have saw that some people said the AK120ii is better for balanced output. What if I am not using balance output? Will there be a huge difference?

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and I must have missed the posts where anyone has said the differences disappeared once they level matched.  I have owned both units and to my ears, in unbalanced mode, the 120ii has a modest, but discernible improvement in detail, with a lower noise floor (and yes I did level match for the comparison).

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #4,214 of 6,668
  I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and I must have missed the posts where anyone has said the differences disappeared once they level matched.  I have owned both units and to my ears, in unbalanced mode, the 120ii has a modest, but discernible improvement in detail, with a lower noise floor (and yes I did level match for the comparison).

I know I saw this mentioned in head-fi.org; presumably this thread but I don't remember. You have a good point though, it may have only been one or two posts. In any case, my comment, and those I read before, were for unbalanced, since that's what the original post was about. It's true that many if not most people notice a difference in balanced mode between the two. This is part of the reason I exchanged my AK100ii for the AK120ii.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the balanced difference because I listened to the AK100ii with a universal Layla using the provided balanced cable; but I then switched to both AK120ii and custom Layla which (to my surprise) doesn't come with a balanced cable. I should have a custom balanced cable from Beat Audio soon and look forward to comparing SE/balanced on it.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #4,215 of 6,668
  Sometimes when I'm in line out mode and I press play, I hear a scratch like sound for a second before the music starts
Does anybody else experienced that?

No one hear a scratch sound sometime when starting/stoping a song while in line out?
Also, when I plug in my headphones I hear connection noises (crackling noise) while doing the same with the DX90 doesn't have any noise 
Is that ok?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back