Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,231 of 4,426

%24(KGrHqNHJEwE92gJ2C6gBPjCdH8r9!~~_7.GIF

kzebclg
      Not the cheapest...

Can you pls provide a link?

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,232 of 4,426

Congrats! would be cool to have your take on the differences between the ie 800 and ref 1?

My impression on IE800 went back quite a while ago when it first launch.  It has a very strong bass but not well defined one and the highs are very recessed.  I might be wrong [of such impression] as the whole audition did not last more than 3 minutes as I was not impressed. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,233 of 4,426
What's the seller's ID there?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Victor-JVC-EP-FX9L-B-Spiral-Dot-Earpiece-Size-L-6-pcs-/141351823336?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item20e939a7e8

This vendor. Has all sizes.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #1,234 of 4,426
  My impression on IE800 went back quite a while ago when it first launch.  It has a very strong bass but not well defined one and the highs are very recessed.  I might be wrong [of such impression] as the whole audition did not last more than 3 minutes as I was not impressed. 

I run/ran the ie800 in balanced mode. Better imaging I believe. Its soundstage seems more inside my head than in front of me. Bass response is decent, but doesn't even come close to the detail, texture and punch the Ref1 can reproduce. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how I look at it I guess, the Ref1 sets the standard (imo). Now I have and ie800 and Heir 8.a that will be mostly silent, sidelined & collecting dust.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #1,235 of 4,426
Getting to know my Ref1 now and I'm putting it up to some challenging paces. I listen to most all genres of music. And if anyone has recorded music suggestions for what may be a giant killer to most gear, please put it out there. I'd like to give it a go.

My current portable rig consists of the AK240 in balanced mode with silver symbiote v2 cable from DHC and the Ref1 iem's.

First up 24/192, The Dark Knight Rises soundtrack. Best described as very dark ethereal music with a lot of deep bass. I'm not a bass head by any means, but I need to understand it and feel it. The bass that is. And when it's called for, needs to show up and hold its own. This is the first time I could truly appreciate this recording. Before listening with the Ref1, all the bass was so difficult to distinguish with iem's. my other IEMs crumbled under the weight of this bass reproduction. It ruined the experience for me. The Ref1 however just wowed me! Bass coloration and the subtle differences in tone and texure are like so many shades of gray with plenty of depth and punch(Sub bass anyone?). All the dark passages are reproduced flawlessly. And this recording is chalkful of them. The accompanying lighter elements falling in the mids and highs are distinct and stand apart from one other floating above the bass backdrop with plenty of air between. Soundstage is 3dimensional and vast. Orchestral strings and winds soar above all this mayhem. So, this is what Hans Zimmer envisioned. Impressive. Very.
biggrin.gif
  Both the music and the Ref1. None of my other ciem's, iem's or even cans for that matter did this for me.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,236 of 4,426

I personally am quite impressed with the highs, very extended and detailed, but many possibilities as to why you didn't get that when listening to ie 800's (tip size etc).

I run/ran the ie800 in balanced mode. Better imaging I believe. Its soundstage seems more inside my head than in front of me. Bass response is decent, but doesn't even come close to the detail, texture and punch the Ref1 can reproduce. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how I look at it I guess, the Ref1 sets the standard (imo). Now I have and ie800 and Heir 8.a that will be mostly silent, sidelined & collecting dust.

On the flip side I never thought id hear anyone say the ie 800's would collect dust!! cannot wait for my ref 1 to arrive (like your description on the bass rrdubbs :D), my girlfriend loves the ie800 so may give them to her, on loan lol

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,237 of 4,426
  Getting to know my Ref1 now and I'm putting it up to some challenging paces. I listen to most all genres of music. And if anyone has recorded music suggestions for what may be a giant killer to most gear, please put it out there. I'd like to give it a go.

Try this .dsf of Scheherazade, Op. 35 (Symphonic Suite after "A Thousand and One Nights"): Festival in Bagdad; The Sea; The Ship Goes to Pieces on a Rock Surmounted by a Bronze Warrior (Shipwreck); Conclusion - Fritz Reiner/CSO;Sidney Harth

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61845253/04%20-%20Fritz%20Reiner%20conductor%20Chicago%20Symphony%20Orchestra%20Sidney%20-%20Festival%20in%20Bagdad%20The%20Sea%20The%20Ship%20Goes%20to%20Pieces%20on%20a%20R.dsf

I will leave it up for the next 12 hours or so. Enjoy!!!

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #1,238 of 4,426

I personally am quite impressed with the highs, very extended and detailed, but many possibilities as to why you didn't get that when listening to ie 800's (tip size etc).

On the flip side I never thought id hear anyone say the ie 800's would collect dust!! cannot wait for my ref 1 to arrive (like your description on the bass rrdubbs :D), my girlfriend loves the ie800 so may give them to her, on loan lol

I hear you. Don't get me wrong. I've been listening to the ie800's for 3-4 months now. Very good iems. Like I mentioned, the ie800's signature seems to me to be inside my head and very well balanced in its presentation. But, the bass responsiveness doesn't come close to the Ref1 iems. Its in another league quite frankly. Monoboy, I think once you get the Ref1's, you'll see how much of a leap this really is. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,239 of 4,426
I agree with @cn11 better eartips like ortofon yields better sound than the stock ones, i think mainly due to fit and it affects the imaging and allowing u insert deeper would give you better bass impact and clearer sound.
Now, waiting for thr JVC tips to come from Tokyo hopefully this week

Are the white tips that come with the ref1 Ortofon tips? If not what is a good place to order them?

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #1,241 of 4,426

Try this .dsf of Scheherazade, Op. 35 (Symphonic Suite after "A Thousand and One Nights"): Festival in Bagdad; The Sea; The Ship Goes to Pieces on a Rock Surmounted by a Bronze Warrior (Shipwreck); Conclusion - Fritz Reiner/CSO;Sidney Harth

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61845253/04%20-%20Fritz%20Reiner%20conductor%20Chicago%20Symphony%20Orchestra%20Sidney%20-%20Festival%20in%20Bagdad%20The%20Sea%20The%20Ship%20Goes%20to%20Pieces%20on%20a%20R.dsf

I will leave it up for the next 12 hours or so. Enjoy!!!

Thanx Gavin!
I love to seek out new music and challenge myself in all it's forms. My tastes are eclectic.

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,242 of 4,426
  Thanx Gavin!
I love to seek out new music and challenge myself in all it's forms. My tastes are eclectic.

A pleasure, please let me know what you think? The recording is sublime, and miked from the conductors podium so the orchestra is splayed out in front of you wide and deep............micro and macro dynamics are insane...........vibrancy and vividness in this piece is incredible on this recording. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,243 of 4,426
Quote:

I will have all Ref.1 shipped from now on with the cable bonded to the earpieces with a water based adhesive. This will provide an extremely secure connection on the stock cable. However, the cable can be detached if one wants to swap out the cable.

How easy it will be to eventually detach the phones from the cable if you do this (water based adhesive)?
Does some other product (chemical) need to be applied, or if not how should this be done properly and not damage the phones?

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #1,244 of 4,426

How easy it will be to eventually detach the phones from the cable if you do this (water based adhesive)?
Does some other product (chemical) need to be applied, or if not how should this be done properly and not damage the phones?

I apply into the sockets, lining all four sides quite liberally (1 or 2mm), avoiding the pin holes with a wooden cocktail stick. Then attach the cable. Leave it for 15-20 mins and it's fine to go. It will set after about a day.

It will detach easily if you use a little force clipping your nails in the gap between the connector(S). There will be no damage to either cable or earpieces. Then use a cocktail stick again to scrap off the old glue, re apply as above and fit your other cable in(?) 

Takes about 3-5 mins at most. 

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #1,245 of 4,426

I apply into the sockets, lining all four sides quite liberally (1 or 2mm), avoiding the pin holes with a wooden cocktail stick. Then attach the cable. Leave it for 15-20 mins and it's fine to go. It will set after about a day.

It will detach easily if you use a little force clipping your nails in the gap between the connector(S). There will be no damage to either cable or earpieces. Then use a cocktail stick again to scrap off the old glue, re apply as above and fit your other cable in(?) 

Takes about 3-5 mins at most. 

Great - thanks for the instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back