Brand new toy: MS2
Apr 26, 2007 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Got them almost new from Comfy with ~50h on them.

_MS2_06.jpg

1st Impression: Most beautiful fons I've ever held in hands.
2nd Impression: Heavy like hell, the bowls stink peppermintish. Comfort non-existing. That will be reversed 414s soon.
3rd impression: Neutral, powerful, rich sounding.
basshead.gif
Very detailed. Soundstage is astonishing for a Grado/Alessandro.

My loved MS1 sounds surprisingly thin, dull and congested in comparison. That's good. I feared the difference to be minor, but the step is comparable to KSC75 -> MS1.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 62
They are great cans.

They are as light as a feather compared to the PS-1s or the HP-2s.

biggrin.gif

Enjoy your new toy! IMO they represent the sweet spot in the Grado/Alessandro lineup when a price/performance ratio is considered. And to think that you can score a used pair for $200 - at that price it is almost like you are stealing them.

I use them in my work rig. I use them with flat pads and drive them with a Tomahawk. They sound stunning in this configuration.

Definite keepers.

As it turns out, my pair has an RS-1 headband as well.

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks like the same headband I have on my SR325i

i didn't know the headbands were different?

theres a more narrow stitched headband that normally comes on the MS2 and SR325i (or... at least it used to)...
sr325i.gif

rs1.gif

I found a couple 325is with the thicker headband at headfest. So... apparently there is some variation out there.

Did Grado / Alessandro officially switch over to use the thicker RS1 headband on the 325i/MS2 ?

Apr 26, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 62
I don't think they officially switched anything, there have always been Grado models floating around with different variations of headbands, among other things. I assume it happens when Grado is pounded with orders for one headphone, and because they don't have enough parts, they just "borrow" them from a similar model. Probably cosmetic things only, but with Grado quality control as bad as it is today you never know if they sometimes switch drivers and cables...

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 62
I'm not sure if I'm happy about the wider RS1 headband, as my old Beyer DT770 pad only fits by the skin of one's teeth. Was a sweet combination with the narrower MS1 headband, but it's more urgent for the heavy MS2 beast.

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 62
You can stretch the Beyer headband to fit around your headband by only connecting the outer two buttons; it'll look strange but it will function correctly. And if you really don't want it on there, I'm sure you can send it back to Grado and they'll replace it with a 325i headband, though I don't think its worth the hassle or the money.

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can stretch the Beyer headband to fit around your headband by only connecting the outer two buttons; it'll look strange but it will function correctly.

Yes, tried that already, looks a bit dorky but works passably. Nothing but trouble when being half-bald...
tongue.gif

Amount of presented details is on par with my polite DT880, wow! That causes some listening fatigue, as everything bangs directly on your eardrums instead of being spread over a huge soundscape. Great fun, but reading some complicated thread and listening to Acid Jazz doesn't work with the MS2. Looks like they want my complete attention. A bit like a passionate henna-red woman...
rs1smile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 62
I think I've found a way to make Grado bowls more comfortable... I should make a thread on them, hehe.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 62
I'll try soap and lots of hot water for bowls as first attempt. Guess the bowls end up at my MS1.

The MS2s are on reversed 414s already, sounds quite similar, but lightyears better comfort.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 62
As to the question of the wider headband, my MS2i that I received back in September appears to have the same wider unit. So it seems they have been shipping with the RS1/2 GS1K band at least that long.

Perhaps it's less expensive for them to order and purchase and handle only two rather than three bands. Whatever the reason; it's a nice band!!

EDIT: Oops; Unless you're trying to install a DT770 pad I guess.
frown.gif
Yeah; I have the same bald spot forming.

Glad to hear you're having fun with them, Nico!!

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try soap and lots of hot water for bowls as first attempt. Guess the bowls end up at my MS1.

The MS2s are on reversed 414s already, sounds quite similar, but lightyears better comfort.

the difference in sound between bowls and reversed 414 is quite subtle. they had bass level somewhere between bowls and normal 414 while it felt like soundstage and highs were about the same as bowls. i agree that the 414s are way ahead in comfort but because of the weight of the cups, they tended to droop down since the total pad area is less. still, this was the configuration that i used when i had the ms2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back