Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Nov 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,201 of 1,506
I use an HRT Microstreamer with my iPad and iPhone. Certainly improves on the sound by an incredible amount while retaining portability. It is predominately an external DAC rather than Amp but the P7 does not really need substantial amplification.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,202 of 1,506
Thanks you for your advice, I'm new to the world of headphones ampliphiers / dacs but already have the bug:)

Well its a lot of fun and you don't have to spend a fortune on an amp or an amp/DAC combo to get a lot better sound than you can straight from your laptop. You've got yourself a nice set of headphones to start with so you're well on your way. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,205 of 1,506
I use an HRT Microstreamer with my iPad and iPhone. Certainly improves on the sound by an incredible amount while retaining portability. It is predominately an external DAC rather than Amp but the P7 does not really need substantial amplification.

Its true, the P7's don't require a huge, powerful amp as I'm able to get just enough volume with my Sansa Clip Zip+ or FiiO X3. Yet, the P7's sound better when the FiiO E12 is added to the mix as this allows them to sound cleaner, more controlled and dynamic. Plug the P7's into my home or office system with the Gungnir and Asgard 2 and you'll once again hear the improvement of tighter bass and better dynamics along with a bit more open and airy treble.

No doubt the DAC plays a huge part in these improvements, yet the added power and control of a good amp goes a long way in helping to better drive the P7's rather than relying on the output of your phone or laptop. I think you'll hear an improvement with a better DAC and amp and that's why I brought up the AudioQuest Dragonfly (if you want it to be portable) or a similar device. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,206 of 1,506
Having heard a Dragonfly attached to a MacBook I did consider one. However I chose the HRT as it works directly from an iPad/iPhone without needing a separate USB hub and possibly a power supply. I had previously tried Fiio E7 and E17 DAC/Amps without hearing much (any) improvement.

So the HRT provides a tiny portable solution. In the days when I had a Notebook PC I used to carry a Fiio E10 but would use a Dragonfly these days since it can do 192KHz. I don't see 96KHz being a limitation with my HRT since I can't fit too many large files on my iDevices.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #1,207 of 1,506
Hey fellas, has anyone tried using an aftermarket cable with this can? I'm tempted to get one but it would be nice to hear from experience head-fier's who can share their insight on how the sound quality changed and is it worth spending on them nice high-end cables like silver or hybrid one's like copper/silver together and which type of cables has the best synergy with this P7 sound signature .

I'm sure some people here would like to hear from you guys or at least be a little curious too.. Thanks in advance. :)

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #1,208 of 1,506
I don't know why I keep buying/trying different headphones.  These are amazing.  The longer I use them the more I appreciate them.  I'll say it again, what I want is something with the same sound signature, but with Bluetooth and noise cancelling.  Although they already block out sound and keep sound in very well.  I can't hear anything.  And I've had them turned WAY up a few times and none of my coworkers have ever said a word.  I've asked and they always say they don't hear a thing. 

I'm anxious to see what B&W does next with headphones!

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,209 of 1,506
"Keep buying and trying" is in our blood as audio addicts. In my case, it will never ends.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #1,210 of 1,506
All I've found about custom cables on the p7 was from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/694795/b-w-p7-recable

They say it made a really nice difference and I've been tempted to try a custom cable myself as I need one that's a little longer than the ones supplies by b&w for home use.

Anyways, if you do end up grabbing one, post back some impressions of the sound!

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #1,211 of 1,506

I'm anxious to see what B&W does next with headphones!

I would love to see a true flagship headphone from B&W.  'P9' has a nice ring to it!
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #1,213 of 1,506
Hey guys I have a question and I'd appreciate it if you could help me out. I have the p7s and I was thinking of buying Fiio's e18 kunlun to use with my android phone but I have no idea about any of this stuff. Could anyone recommend a product or give any advice?

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,215 of 1,506
I find the P7 to be a very interesting headphone. Just listening to them now.  Sometimes I find it to be sublime, other times to be somewhat fatiguing and cold.  I guess I have a love-hate relationship with it.  I've tried a few different amps with it but haven't found one that totally clicked with it.  

I feel that these headphones need a little warmth.  Despite not really requiring additional amplification The Fostex HP-P1 improves the innate sound signature of the P7 - by that I mean everything it does well it now does even better.  Its strengths become even stronger.  Instrument separation is greater and the soundstage becomes even wider.  The detail in the top end is really something. 

What it doesn't do is fill in that bit of richness and warmth I feel it lacks.  If anybody has found an external amplifier that really makes this headphone sing in a warmer and analogue way I'd love to hear about it.   I could still use the line-out of the fostex to create a really nice, but pretty unwieldy, portable rig  :-D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back