Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Oct 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,186 of 1,506
Yeah you are right they are great headphones for the price, I got a surprise how well a rock boxed clip+ sounded on them. (But can't take them any where near their potential)
They do well with the x5 on high gain, they seem to like a natural sounding source, but until I used the external amp I wasn't as impressed as I am now, they seem to get better with the clearer amp, and the comfort factor gets better with time as well. B&W have done a brilliant job.

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #1,187 of 1,506
I got a pair of these pretty recently mostly due to the great comments in this thread about them. Really love them now although they were rather uncomfortable and the bass felt a bit bloated when I first tried them. I think it might be because the headband and pads are loosening up a little bit now (making the comfort really nice now too) but could be burn in? Who knows - don't really want to get into that argument!

Anyways, I was wondering if an amp or DAC/amp combo would noticeably improve the sound of these? Currently I use them just out of the back of my computer which has inbuilt audio that's pretty decent but not excellent or my phone (a nexus 5 which I imagine doesn't have the best DAC). Really loving these headphones though!

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,189 of 1,506
Hmmmm interesting... I wonder if there's an amp or DAC or both that would give these a bit more weight in the mids? They feel the tiniest bit recessed to me currently. Might be because my other headphones are very mod forward though.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,190 of 1,506
Hmmmm interesting... I wonder if there's an amp or DAC or both that would give these a bit more weight in the mids? They feel the tiniest bit recessed to me currently. Might be because my other headphones are very mod forward though.

They are a bit dry in the mids so a warm amp would bring out the lower mids a bit.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #1,192 of 1,506
I heard that X5 does a great job for P7 but DAP isn't so important thing for me. I also heard that AK120 is a great pair for P7 but that price...
Maybe a DAC/AMP with a similar sound is a good option? Is there a DAC/AMP (USB for computer) with sound signature similar to AK120 or X5 (I like warm and deep sound) with price around $250-$450?

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,193 of 1,506
I heard that X5 does a great job for P7 but DAP isn't so important thing for me. I also heard that AK120 is a great pair for P7 but that price...
Maybe a DAC/AMP with a similar sound is a good option? Is there a DAC/AMP (USB for computer) with sound signature similar to AK120 or X5 (I like warm and deep sound) with price around $250-$450?

Basically what I'm trying to do as well. Currently looking at head stage arrow (Possibly with their tube attachment thing too, apparently gives it a warm sound), ibasso d6 or jds labs c5d.

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,195 of 1,506
I've been using the P7 with a Centrance HiFi-M8 for a little over 3 months and I love them together. I've been using Apple Lossless files from my iPod and iPhone, as well as from my laptop. All sources sound great. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD650, and the same setup sounds great with them too. Each set of headphones have their pros and cons, and I'm really happy to have both. The subtle EQ tweaks available on the HiFi-M8 let me adjust to which headphones I'm using. I think the P7 are more versatile because they're closed and my phone can drive them on its own, but I slightly prefer the HD650 when I am not limited by leaking sound or lack of an amp.

Anyway, I highly recommend the P7 and the HiFi-M8.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,199 of 1,506
I primarily use the Asgard 2 with the P7's with all the music being 16 or 24 bit FLAC files. I think the P7's sound stellar with the Asgard 2 and with its gain switch it works great with most full-size headphones and/or IEM's. There are a lot of really nice headphone amps out there and I've found that the P7's scale very well. So, if you use a better DAC and amp along with good quality music files the P7's will sound better.

One of the portable DAC/Headphone amps may be perfect for your setup...Schiit Audio (yes I'm a fan of their gear) has one coming out soon. AudioQuest and a few other companies have very nice portable thumb drive sized DAC/amps too. 
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back