Bose QC30 replacement cable - pin outs?
Jan 28, 2017 at 9:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ched999uk

New Head-Fier
My partner wanted noise cancelling headphones so she bought the Bose QC35 (corrected from QC30 Oops) as they seemed to cancel more frequencies than most.
Anyway she has mislaid the cable as she doesn't use it very often. The cable is a 2.5mm stereo jack plug to a 3.5mm stereo jack plug. As I don't have the cable I am guessing it is straight wiring? i.e. tip to tip, collar to collar and screen to screen.

I could order a new one from Bose but at £15 for a cable that will arrive when she finds the original seems a bit silly.
So just trying to make one up from the spares box.
Does anyone know if that is straight wiring correct?

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you sure you have that model number right? The QC30 is a Bluetooth wireless neckband style and only has a micro USB charging cable. The cable you are describing would fit almost any of the wired Bose headphones or the QC35 cable for use when not going wireless. I can't help you with the pin wiring but it has always annoyed me that Bose didn't use a straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. 

Just a suggestion - Bose has very good customer service. If you walked into a store and explained your problem, they might just hand you a cable. It's happened to me. 

Jan 29, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 6
  Are you sure you have that model number right? The QC30 is a Bluetooth wireless neckband style and only has a micro USB charging cable. The cable you are describing would fit almost any of the wired Bose headphones or the QC35 cable for use when not going wireless. I can't help you with the pin wiring but it has always annoyed me that Bose didn't use a straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. 

Just a suggestion - Bose has very good customer service. If you walked into a store and explained your problem, they might just hand you a cable. It's happened to me. 

Thanks, Sorry they are QC35 my mistake. Yes they are bluetooth but they can also be cabled. She uses them cabled to watch tv if the neighbours are noisy.
Unfortunately there is not a Bose store close by. 
I did order a very cheap (99p) 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable which fits but for some stupid reason the conductors are crossed so it sounds terrible. I am going to just order an alternative 2.5mm stereo jack plug to 3.5mm stereo jack plug and hope it's a straight connection.
Thanks for your help.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Just to update the thread. I bought a cheap (£1.68) 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable and it works perfect. It is a straight through connector, i.e. tip to tip, ring to ring and sleeve to sleeve.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 6
I wonder if there's any audible benefit to using a 2.5 TRS to 3.5 TRRS Balanced plug for use with balanced amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back