Bogdan Audio Silver Spirit Ref IC compared Acoustic Zen Silver Ref II
Jul 9, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by AC1
Hi DA,

They were tight on going to the DIO which has Cardas RCAs. I did not end up using a blow dryer but am sure that would help. After they were on for a week and a half, they were much easier to remove and not as hard to put back on. Which was good, since it made switching the BSSR and the SRIIs much easier for the comparison.

OK Doctor
I gave the Eichmann Bullets a brief shot with hair dryer and on they went. I have them in system 2 where they will cook a few days before getting a debut in the main rig.
cool.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #17 of 71
DarkAngel,

I thought that if you burn in a cable and then remove it, that it has to be burned in again. Since the two rigs will have different voltage and current, the capacitance / inductance / and resistance between the two active circuits will have to settle down (re-burn).

Jul 10, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 71
I was told by a cable maker that it takes about two hours for the cables to settle in again once they are moved. Don't know if its true.

Jul 10, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
I was told by a cable maker that it takes about two hours for the cables to settle in again once they are moved. Don't know if its true.

Yes, it's quite a funny thing... Before comparing the cables, I find some way to "use" the cable or keep them "warm" especially if they have not been used for a while. With the power cords I kept them on a hub that takes an IEC. And with the SRII I used a pcdp and ran signal through it.
This is to get the full characteristics of the cable. Case and point, the Nite power cords I have tested for a good span of time. When I have left it not used for a few days, comparing it to other cables, the upfront/big characteristic diminished. But even just leaving it powered for half an hour or so made that characterstic return.
Just what I've experienced.

Jul 10, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
DarkAngel,
I thought that if you burn in a cable and then remove it, that it has to be burned in again. Since the two rigs will have different voltage and current, the capacitance / inductance / and resistance between the two active circuits will have to settle down (re-burn).

I would not be able to enjoy system 1 much if I had to constantly break in all the new cables I try for 4-8 days each.

I use my personal computer to break in all power cords for 4 days
before using in system 1, 100-200 watt power supply used in computers does the job well.

My stereo system 2 is quite often used to break in new ICs so I can keep listening to system 1 without interference.

Once broken in and cable direction noted, cable with settle in very quickly in system 1......less than 1 day.

BTW, BSSR ICs have no direction markings therefore I made my own so when I move them into system 1 they will be oriented properly and not have to break in all over again.

Jul 11, 2003 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 71
While waiting for BSSR to break in, I will mention the obvious:
This design is similar to SAKURA OTA

OTA

You get a kit with OTA to make three sets of ICs includes plastic tubing, spool of copper wire, and plastic RCAs which seem similar in concept to Eichmann Bullets.......the kit is not that cheap though

There is huge thread at Audiogon begun 5/01 that chronicles many people's experience with Sakura OTA:

Audiogon OTA

Also see that Bogdan has cheaper twisted pair ICs for $169 at Audiogon that uses bullet RCA:

Bogdan ICS

Jul 16, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 71
I will give a mini update............the Bogdan BSSR is hands down winner for me, best overall IC I have ever auditioned and my new reference IC regardless of price, it has no weakness/tradeoffs I can detect.

Fortunately no problems with any noise or hum pick-up, which is a concern with unsheilded & non braided IC. I did have to use hair dryer to initially get bullett RCA plugs on but now they are form fitted and come on/off no problem

In a couple days I will give a fuller report, repeat many things AC found but I have different perspective from 2 channel stereo listening, fill in all the details.

Jul 16, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Thanks DA. I'll be picking up a Bogdan SSR before July 25.
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW.......did I mention I already ordered a 2nd BSSR, he he.

Keep us posted when you have some impressions.

Jul 16, 2003 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I will give a mini update............the Bogdan BSSR is hands down winner for me, best overall IC I have ever auditioned and my new reference IC regardless of price, it has no weakness/tradeoffs I can detect.

Ya, with the BSSR, it was much easier to pick a winner compared to the Silver Ref, than say the Nite and Empowered comparison. The BSSR just seemed to be able to do more things better than Silver Ref. Good to hear that you did not have any hum issues with it.
Looking forward to see how it affects 2 channel.

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #28 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

DarkAngel,

Would you reco it over the Nite ICs?? If so count me in for oe of them. Also, are they on Audiogon or did you order from him via email??

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #29 of 71
Considering DA prefers the Acoustic Zen Silver Reference to the Nites, I'm guessing he would recommend the Bogdan over the Nites.

Jul 16, 2003 at 11:37 AM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
DarkAngel,
Would you reco it over the Nite ICs?? If so count me in for oe of them. Also, are they on Audiogon or did you order from him via email??

SE
Last year I briefly had a pair of VD Signature ICs and was not really too impressed with them, I though the AZ Silver Reference was superior in all respects......can't comment about Nite IC since I never owned/tried them.

I am almost certain you would love the Bogdan BSSR, however they offer no trail period so they are your baby. If for some reason you wanted to sell them you wouldn't loose too much used IMO.

Also as mentioned earlier you should put some directional marking on them to keep track of break-in direction.

BSSR are listed on Audiogon, he has other cables also (click "other items" at different price levels):

Bogdan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back