Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320)
Aug 22, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #61 of 1,134
Quote:
I'm curious how much of an improvement the TM7 is over the M2C. Honestly I am not that impressed with my M2Cs compared to my PK3s.

I think that the M2C are better than the PK3, but not better than the PK2. Overall, I like the PK2 more and the fit is better, so that's why I sold my pair of M2C. I'll aim for more higher end earbuds instead (however not PK1 since I don't want earbuds that need an amp).

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #62 of 1,134
I am loving my PK1 at the moment, but you hit the nail on the head there. I need an amp to go with them. I have a Headstage Arrow 4G, which is delightfully slim and powerful, but I am looking to minimize my gear, so if the TM7 (or perhaps the HiSound Living...hmmmm...) can match or better the PK1 and eliminate the need for an amp, well...

I am loathe to part with my M2C since they are my amp-less option right now...

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #63 of 1,134
$70 is great selling price for M2Cs. I guess I lucked out getting mine free from a generous Head-fier.

My main worry is whether or not the PK1 will be a huge leap over the M2C/PK3s. The amp part doesn't bother me, they are only used on my desk at work. 

The big thing for me is reading many say that the PK1s can rival full size headphones. Right now, my M2Cs just can't. Example, listening to FLAC through my CTH, there was no sense of a step up over my Clip+ (saying less for the M2Cs than the quality of the Clip+). Especially when compared to my full size Fostexes (bad comparison, I know). I am hoping the PK1s can bridge that gap to full size headphones (when amped).

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #64 of 1,134
@sharkz - Have you tried the Sennheiser MX980? They really sound like full sized headphones.However they are really big and for many the fit isn't very good. I took the rubber/silicone ring off my pair and put foams over the earbuds. The fit became a lot better when I did that. But still it isn't as good as with Yuin earbuds, for example...

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #65 of 1,134
I think for now, I am going to keep searching for a pair of reasonably priced, used PK1s (if they exist). I just can't stomach paying $150 for a pair of earbuds right now. However there has been a lack of them for sale on in the classifieds lately.

Plus I have always wanted a pair of PK1s, its sort of been a goal for me for a while. I have enjoyed my PK3s the past five years, so it would be a nice upgrade.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #66 of 1,134
The PK1s turn up occasionally. I had to watch the classifieds for a while until mine turned up, and then had their price dropped to sub-$100 (I had that as part of my goal when I decided I wanted a pair).

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #67 of 1,134
You guys better not start collecting vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds! A few weeks ago I ended bidding on an old Aiwa walkman with a pair of Aiwa HP-V99 earbuds, when the price reached 400 euro. I really want those (the V99 are supposed to be one of the best earbuds ever made, and were sold from 1988 to 1992) though, and I'll keep looking. At least I have managed to find Aiwa HP-D9, Sony MDR-E282 and Sony MDR-E484.

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #68 of 1,134
Quote:
I think for now, I am going to keep searching for a pair of reasonably priced, used PK1s (if they exist). I just can't stomach paying $150 for a pair of earbuds right now. However there has been a lack of them for sale on in the classifieds lately.

Plus I have always wanted a pair of PK1s, its sort of been a goal for me for a while. I have enjoyed my PK3s the past five years, so it would be a nice upgrade.

For 100$ shipping included, you can have this solution which looks good to me I think :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/DIY-YUIN-PK1-Hi-Fi-Earphones-FURUKAWA-Shielded-Cable-PAILICCS-3-5mm-Plug-/320921769367?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ab86d9597

A brand new pair of Yuin PK1 drivers in the PK2 type body, with "FURUKAWA" shielded cable and "PAILICCS" 3.5mm plug.

I was hesitating to order a second pair of PK1 with this one, or to buy the TM7. I finally buyed the TM7.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #69 of 1,134
Yeah sub $100 is my goal, I don't want to spend more on the PKs than my Source/Amp combined (~$110 right now for a Fuze and E11). I will have to look into those Ebay specials though.

Danneq, I was looking through your profile and researching some of those buds. Those older Aiwa's are really cool. I would like to hear how they sound compared to the modern offerings. Plus they just blow them away looks-wise.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #70 of 1,134
I've got about 50 hours of burn in and 25 hours of listening on my TM7, and so far I've found the TM7 to have a better balance of bass/mids/highs than the PK1.  The TM7 is also a bit more musical than the PK1, as the balanced bass/highs fills in the music better between notes, or pauses in vocals.  The TM7 has better decay which also makes the music flow better.

This is from A/Bing PK1 and TM7 with iPod Classic + RSA Mustang.

Comparing amped (above setup) and unamped (Rockboxed Clip+), perhaps the soundstage is very slightly wider with the Mustang, and there is a bit more bass body/sub bass with the Mustang.  However, this may just be my brain trying hard to pick out something as there are no major sound differences that I can hear.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #71 of 1,134
Quote:
You guys better not start collecting vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds! A few weeks ago I ended bidding on an old Aiwa walkman with a pair of Aiwa HP-V99 earbuds, when the price reached 400 euro. I really want those (the V99 are supposed to be one of the best earbuds ever made, and were sold from 1988 to 1992) though, and I'll keep looking. At least I have managed to find Aiwa HP-D9, Sony MDR-E282 and Sony MDR-E484.

I know better than to do that. I have already had to curb my obsession with vinyl records by limiting myself to a particular genre (jazz only...)

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #72 of 1,134
Just got word from Woo at Blox, the next batch are set to be available on August the 27th...ladies and gentlemen, start your engines...

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #73 of 1,134
For 100$ shipping included, you can have this solution which looks good to me I think :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/DIY-YUIN-PK1-Hi-Fi-Earphones-FURUKAWA-Shielded-Cable-PAILICCS-3-5mm-Plug-/320921769367?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ab86d9597

A brand new pair of Yuin PK1 drivers in the PK2 type body, with "FURUKAWA" shielded cable and "PAILICCS" 3.5mm plug.

Over the years there are many sellers claiming they have the "OEM' PK1 driver, which is nothing but fake. This is no difference.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #74 of 1,134
That would have been my guess as well. Usually when something looks too good to be true, it is. Plus the wiring there looks way too stiff for an earbud. I guess I have to hope I can find a PK1 for sale for less than $100 soon. Or hope I get a chance to compare them to the TM7.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #75 of 1,134
Quote:

I think that the M2C are better than the PK3, but not better than the PK2. Overall, I like the PK2 more and the fit is better, so that's why I sold my pair of M2C. I'll aim for more higher end earbuds instead (however not PK1 since I don't want earbuds that need an amp).

I think you just talked me into a PK2 Danneq. Could you compare the two (M2C and PK2) a little more? PM would be great, if you don't wanna derail the thread. I love the yuin fit, and the m2c sound was pretty good.. if the pk2 is closeish to the m2c or even better in some regards, I must get a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back