Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320)
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #481 of 1,134
  Just a question before I buy the ANV3se. Have they always been $100 to the US or do they go up for different prices at different times/sales? 

Also, just so I know for comparison, how much was the TM7 when they are available? 

I'm in Sweden and I bought my pair of Anv3 in January 2013. I paid $63 + $7 in shipping costs. I think that $100 is a bit steep for the Anv3...

I paid $148 for my pair of TM7. It says nothing about shipping costs in the Paypal message so perhaps it was included in the price? I thought that $148 was ok for the TM7 until when I recently got hold of a DIY earbud based on the same housing (Sennheiser MX400) as the Anv3 and TM7. I paid $16 + $4 in shipping for the Dasetn MX1 earbuds and they are VERY close to the TM7. Too bad that it seems to only have been made in small batches and that it's now sold out...

I found another Ebay seller offering another Dasetn earbud model: the AP8. It's dirt cheap and I really recommend it for the cheap price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141131804999&item=141131804999&vectorid=229466
It's got a pretty good soundstage with good instrument placement. Bass isn't much to write home about and highs can be somewhat harsh, but the soundstage is better than on many other earbud models in that it has got actual depth!

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #482 of 1,134

I'm in Sweden and I bought my pair of Anv3 in January 2013. I paid $63 + $7 in shipping costs. I think that $100 is a bit steep for the Anv3...

I paid $148 for my pair of TM7. It says nothing about shipping costs in the Paypal message so perhaps it was included in the price? I thought that $148 was ok for the TM7 until when I recently got hold of a DIY earbud based on the same housing (Sennheiser MX400) as the Anv3 and TM7. I paid $16 + $4 in shipping for the Dasetn MX1 earbuds and they are VERY close to the TM7. Too bad that it seems to only have been made in small batches and that it's now sold out...

I found another Ebay seller offering another Dasetn earbud model: the AP8. It's dirt cheap and I really recommend it for the cheap price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=141131804999&item=141131804999&vectorid=229466
It's got a pretty good soundstage with good instrument placement. Bass isn't much to write home about and highs can be somewhat harsh, but the soundstage is better than on many other earbud models in that it has got actual depth!

Was the Anv3 you bought for $70 off blox directly and new? Dang, that's a steal! There were some used blox awhile ago on the forum selling for that amount. Wow, ok I'll reconsider buying the Anv3se now then. Thanks for the heads up. 

Just so I understand you correctly, you highly recommend that DIY headphone? Can you link me to the actual headphone that uses the driver (non-DIY, commercial version)? If the soundstage is anywhere near as good as the blox earphones that ClieOS reviewed and put until his first tier rating then I'm in. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #485 of 1,134
  Was the Anv3 you bought for $70 off blox directly and new? Dang, that's a steal! There were some used blox awhile ago on the forum selling for that amount. Wow, ok I'll reconsider buying the Anv3se now then. Thanks for the heads up. 

Just so I understand you correctly, you highly recommend that DIY headphone? Can you link me to the actual headphone that uses the driver (non-DIY, commercial version)? If the soundstage is anywhere near as good as the blox earphones that ClieOS reviewed and put until his first tier rating then I'm in. 

I managed to grab a pair of Anv3 while they were originally on sale on the Blox homepage. I don't really understand the difference between the Anv3 and Anv3se. As I understand it, the Anv3 uses M2C housing and TM7 driver. Strange since the only difference in the housing seems to be the color...

I do recommend the Dasetn AP8. If you can find it for less than $20 with shipping included, it's a steal! I just brought out my TM7, Anv3, Dasetn AP8 and Dasetn MX1 to compare a bit.

Listening to Intense Confession, an indie melodic metal band from the 90's with pretty good production on their album Whispers of Fear, The TM7 sounds more refined and spacious than the Anv3. I get a sense of the instruments being more separated from each other. The Anv3 still sounds really good, but the TM7 is a definite step up.
The Dasetn AP8 sounds more raw and up front than both the TM7 and Anv3. Still I get a sense of a deeper soundstage than on the Anv3. I wrote more about it in the Earbuds Round-up thread in August: http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-update-june-28th-2013/360#post_9682480

Right now I've got the Dasetn MX1 earbuds plugged in, and they sound better than both the Dasetn AP8 and Blox Anv3. They have a VERY clear and smooth sound signature that's a bit light on bass. Switching to the Blox TM7, these have a more full sound with more kick in the bass. Back to the Dasetn MX1, the less beefy sound gives a sense of more detail and instrument separation.
I don't know who makes the Dasetn earbuds, but if the AP8 (apparently based on Audtio Technica design) and the MX1 (based on the same Sennheiser MX400 design as the Blox earbuds) were sold more regularly just as the Blox earbuds, they could become popular among earbud aficionados...

My ranking would be:
1. Blox TM7
2. Dasetn MX1
3. Blox Anv3 / Dasetn AP8 (Since I paid 7 times more for my Anv3 than my AP8, I have have a hard time letting the AP8 coming ahead of the Anv3).

The maker of the Dasetn earbuds (and IEM's) is a little bit of a mystery. I think it is the same person as I bought the earbuds from. Apparently that person is based in Hong Kong.
The overall build quality of Dasetn earbuds is much better than the Blox earbuds, which do feel a bit on the cheap side considering the price. Blox's earbuds do deliver when it comes to sound quality, but I could wish for better cables and more sturdy plugs.

I think that you should get the new high end Blox earbuds when they are released. If you want to, you can get the Anv3 until then. I do advise you to get the Dasetn AP8 as well. They are cheap and sound really good for the price.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #486 of 1,134
You certainly make me interested in those Dasetn. I have a pair of the new AT CHX7 coming myself.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #487 of 1,134
so your saying TM7 is abobe the ANV3se is "sound quality" ? wants it the oposite?

I have owned both the TM7 and Anv3 and my personal preference is the Anv3 which I still have and much enjoy. I did sell my TM7.

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #488 of 1,134
Danneq you've convinced me to give the Dasetn a try. At around $12 it's a no brainer it seems. I tried looking for the MX1 model but couldn't find any seller selling it so I went ahead and purchased the AP8 model. How do you think the AP8 compares to the Blox TM7? I noticed you ranked the buds as 1. TM7, 2. MX1 3. AP8/ANV3. Is there a big drop off between the AP8 and MX1 models of the Dasetn buds or are they extremely close in soundstage and imaging? I just want to know if I should cancel my AP8 order and wait for the MX1s to show up again. Thanks. 

EDIT: Oh what the heck, I'm not gonna cancel a $12 order lol. Maybe I'll get the ANV3se as well or just wait for Blox's new flagship later this year. Thanks Danneq. Still would like to hear a slightly more in depth comparison between my soon to arrive AP8 and the Blox earbuds. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #489 of 1,134
If the MX1 show up again, you should get them as well! The Blox Anv3 have a much smoother and fuller sound while the Dasetn AP8 sound more raw. So overall, I'd say that the Anv3 sound better but I still like the AP8 more because they feel more spacious.

To my ears, the Dasetn MX1 have a bigger soundstage than the AP8 with better instrument placement, and sound much more smooth. Because of having a more smooth and "clean" sound, you sort of get a better feel of instrument placement on the MX1 than on the AP8. This is how the MX1 beats the Blox Anv3 for me as well: more space which at least gives me the illusion of hearing more details. The Anv3 has got the same sort of full sound as the TM7 but with smaller soundstage. Since I'm a sucker for a nice soundstage, that's why I place the Anv3 lower. Still, the Anv3 are much better than just about any other brand of earbuds currently sold.

The thing I wonder about with the Dasetn earbuds is individual variation. Does he (or they if there are more people making them) manage to make the earbuds in a series have a similar sound signature?

I would definitely recommend you to get the upcoming Blox flagship. I wish that I could have bought the TM5, but I was too late for that one. The TM7 is still my favorite overall earbud (and I sort of collect vintage Aiwa and Sony earbuds that, considering that they are 20-30 years old, can truly sound amazing). You could always get the Anv3 now and later sell it. Since Blox earbuds are always sold in small batches, the demand is always kept higher than the supply...

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #490 of 1,134
  If the MX1 show up again, you should get them as well! The Blox Anv3 have a much smoother and fuller sound while the Dasetn AP8 sound more raw. So overall, I'd say that the Anv3 sound better but I still like the AP8 more because they feel more spacious.

To my ears, the Dasetn MX1 have a bigger soundstage than the AP8 with better instrument placement, and sound much more smooth. Because of having a more smooth and "clean" sound, you sort of get a better feel of instrument placement on the MX1 than on the AP8. This is how the MX1 beats the Blox Anv3 for me as well: more space which at least gives me the illusion of hearing more details. The Anv3 has got the same sort of full sound as the TM7 but with smaller soundstage. Since I'm a sucker for a nice soundstage, that's why I place the Anv3 lower. Still, the Anv3 are much better than just about any other brand of earbuds currently sold.

The thing I wonder about with the Dasetn earbuds is individual variation. Does he (or they if there are more people making them) manage to make the earbuds in a series have a similar sound signature?

I would definitely recommend you to get the upcoming Blox flagship. I wish that I could have bought the TM5, but I was too late for that one. The TM7 is still my favorite overall earbud (and I sort of collect vintage Aiwa and Sony earbuds that, considering that they are 20-30 years old, can truly sound amazing). You could always get the Anv3 now and later sell it. Since Blox earbuds are always sold in small batches, the demand is always kept higher than the supply...

Thanks for an in depth breakdown. Yes, I'll try to nab up the MX1 as well and see how that goes. I guess one thing the AP8 has going for it is that it appears to be slightly more sturdy than the MX1 so if I decide to use these as gym 'phones they'll hopefully last much longer than using the MX1 or Blox by the looks of it. I also have an idea that if these earbuds actually sound that good and significantly better than apple buds and $20-$40 skullcandy then I'll stock up on these things and give them as small freebie gifts to my friends who are curious about hifi and let them see what $10 can really buy them in the world of non-commercial, non-fashion audiophile land. 

I'm not sure what full size over ear headphones you use for normal listening, but just so I have an idea of what to expect in this tier of earbuds (since I have never heard the PK1, PK2, any Blox, AP8/MX1, Sennheiser MX series), can you tell me about what level of sound we are talking about so I have some point to go off of? For example, I doubt these earbuds are as good as the state of the art cans like HifiMan HE500/LCD2/Fostex TH900 (assuming you have heard any of those) which is very understandable obviously. But what about the next tier down, how do they compare to lower end hi fi like the Denon D2k/5k/7k and higher model Ultrasone and Sennheiser HD600/650? If not those then are they the next tier down in terms of sound such as the Sennheiser Momentum, ATH M50, Grado SR80i? Thanks for your time and help.  

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #491 of 1,134
When it comes to head- and earphones, I'm a portable type of guy and I prefer something that I can use with my MP3 player and then put away in my bag. I've got a pair of ATH M50 that I don't listen to much anymore. I prefer my ATH ES10 and ES7 together with my Sennheiser HD25. I also like clip-on earphones such as Pioneer SE-EX9 and Yuin G2A. I have been looking for a pair of JVC/Victor HP-AL1000 for a while, but since they now are discontinued, I suppose I have to give up. Just recently bought a pair of Dunu dual driver clip-on earphones on Ebay and I'm looking forward to hearing those...

Of course earbuds will sound much smaller than headphones with much bigger drivers. I prefer earbuds to IEM's bacuse I like the open sound of them and also I'm not too crazy about stuffing things into my ear canals.
I think that the Dasetn AP8 has got a raw and slightly harsh sound that sort of reminds me of my Sennheiser HD25. Perhaps a little bit like Grado SR80i as well? After switching to the AP8 from Blox Anv3, they will sound very harsh and rough for the first few seconds, then my ears get used to them and the soundstage sort of opens up. I think they might be good as work out earbuds since they are pretty forward and still manages to create an actual depth in their soundstage. They are not as smooth as other earbuds, but I like them and the fact that they aren't as 2D in their presentation as many other earbud models...
I'm always on the hunt for a good pair of earbuds, and I have noticed that it is quite uncommon nowadays for earbuds to have an actual depth in the soundstage. For example, I love my Yuin PK2, but they are extremly 2D (Dasetn also has made a DIY PK2 that improves on some aspects of the original PK2). I'd have to go back to 80's and early 90's Aiwa and Sony high end earbuds for great soundstage presentations (Aiwa HP-V2 & HP-D9, Sony MDR-E252, 282 & 484). Sennheiser did manage okay with their MX980. Other than that, it's only Blox that can make an expansive sounding soundstage.

Sorry that I can not help you with comparisons on high tier full sound headphones, since I haven'y heard many of them. I think I've heard the Sennheiser HD600 but I don't remember them at all. I did like ATH A2000X and almost bought a pair while living in Japan in 2010 (they are much cheaper there), but soon realized that I would not need them since I do a lot of listening to music on the go. I got a pair of ATH ES7 instead and the year after that got a pair of ES10, which suits my listening habits much better... Once I found a pair of Aiwa HP-D9 (sold during the early 90's), I thought that they sounded like an earbud version of the ATH A2000X with very little bass and a HUGE, almost dome-like, soundstage. The Aiwa HP-D9 still have the biggest soundstage and best instrument placement I've heard in any ear- and headphones. However, they are very bass light and you need to boost bass a lot if you are going to use them for rock music...

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #492 of 1,134
Haha wow Danneq it is apparent you are king of earbuds. I could learn a lot from you. I am on a quest to find the best set of earbuds I could possibly get sound and build quality considered as I would like for them to actually lost a long time instead of having to be replaced every 2 months. I have it down to either the ANV3se/TM7 or the MX985 but the Sennheisers seem much more durable and of quality parts. I'll have to decide soon as I'm not really sure how long Blox's 200 piece ANV3se batch will last. Thanks for your help. I'm eagerly also waiting on the AP8. If Dasetn begin to sell their MX1 model please PM me or post in the earbuds thread. I'd love to try a pair of those. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #493 of 1,134
The earbud world is so small nowadays that it's easy to get an overview. I started getting an interest in vintage earbuds as well just to expand my options, and I noticed that often those older earbuds can sound as good as or sometimes even better than current earbuds...

The build quality of Sennheiser earbuds is good overall. But I do not think that automatically makes it more sturdy...

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #495 of 1,134
Just listening to my first pair of Blox (ANV3se) earbuds.. :)

Definitely going to get the new ones when they are for sale.

Ade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back