Bit disappointed with Hifi-man HE-4xx on drop
Sep 24, 2023 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Was expecting better cans for the monies, nearly 300 usd or something. Quality was fine, but still had better sound out of old akg k612's out of the box. Tried both straight from computer and from an old asus sound card. I'm not sure how obsolete that is, listening to a sound card on the computer. Still have a DAC for my mobile, that's how old I am! So basically no punch, and no real bass, but not bad. About equivalent to my closed back cans which are a dt-770 pro and an akg k271 mk ii. Worse than the aforementioned akg k612's by quite a bit. But then have replaceable cables! So that helps, even if it takes 3 months from china! So was sold on the hype of planar backed cans, and that turned out to be mostly bull. So well, not terrible cans by any means, and pretty comfy, but not mind-blowing either by a long way. Not worth the monies if you ask me. Oh well, I tried planar magnetic cans, and they were found wanting! Will stick with AKG or Sennheiser or something next time. Have enough cans to keep me going though here for a while! Always good to be back on head-fi!

Sep 24, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 90
In fairness I think the K612 punch way above their price point (tuning wise I often hear people call the K712 a budget HD800S, but I feel like the K612 is actually closer to that), but I also think it's odd that the 4XX costs nearly $300 when you can usually get an open box 400SE for around $90 ish these days directly from Hifiman. For $300 ish I'd rather get the Deva Pro, which is supposed to be even wider than the K612/K702/K712 (and I heard one person say it's even wider than the HD800S, though I'm not believing that until I hear it)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 90
Was expecting better cans for the monies, nearly 300 usd or something. Quality was fine, but still had better sound out of old akg k612's out of the box. Tried both straight from computer and from an old asus sound card. I'm not sure how obsolete that is, listening to a sound card on the computer. Still have a DAC for my mobile, that's how old I am! So basically no punch, and no real bass, but not bad. About equivalent to my closed back cans which are a dt-770 pro and an akg k271 mk ii. Worse than the aforementioned akg k612's by quite a bit. But then have replaceable cables! So that helps, even if it takes 3 months from china! So was sold on the hype of planar backed cans, and that turned out to be mostly bull. So well, not terrible cans by any means, and pretty comfy, but not mind-blowing either by a long way. Not worth the monies if you ask me. Oh well, I tried planar magnetic cans, and they were found wanting! Will stick with AKG or Sennheiser or something next time. Have enough cans to keep me going though here for a while! Always good to be back on head-fi!
You may want to invest in an iFi Zen Dac and Zen Can HFM edition.

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 90
HE-4XX can sound good with a proper DAC+Amp. I have used my 4XX on a Topping D10. To my ears this can sounds clean but cant fully compete with the resolution and clarity that the K702 can produce.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 90
$300 is too much for 4XX. When they are discounted to ~$100 then they are highly recommendable, if you have a dedicated headphone amp otherwise that has to be factored into cost as well. Besides decent sound quality youll be treated to planar giant-driver presentation. Unfortunately HFM intentionally handicaps their lower priced products with weak magnets so as not to cannibalize sales of their more expensively priced products. ime, its not worth “upgrading” to another HFM without doing a lot of research because there are a lot of caveats and turds to watch out for.

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 90
I hear you on that. I bought them several years ago and tried everything. Multiple amps, setting them aside for a few weeks, etc. They are a headphone that never worked for me.

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 90
These are great headphones and mine definitely need plenty of power. For reference I power them in balanced mode (for even more power) from both a Astell and Kern PA10 class A portable amp or a Monoprice Monolith desktop amp/dac. I wouldn’t even fathom trying to power them from a sound card or a phone/tablet and expecting even a remotely good sound from them.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #9 of 90
I've had a pair for 4 maybe 5 years. They are OK at $100-140 range, on a decent DAP or a good cell like a LG-v40. Pretty good for 60's rock. Fairly fun.

But I always try to see what accuracy I can get out of any equipment I have. I've written on it before but they didn't make it to my regular rotation.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 90
Well looks like I have to invest in a good desktop usb DAC/Amp anyway, as my old Asus Xonar soundcard isn't cutting it. Have a yamaha destkop analogue mixer, but don't see that helping much. The question is do I go the hi-fi route or the music production route? Any advice welcome there. Ideally would be usb DAC combined with a tube headphone amp. But can live with solid-state. Plenty of cheap DAC's for music production, not sure of the headphone out though. Can maybe throw 3 hundred bucks at the problem. Only have USB 2 and 3, older motherboard so no usb C. Should still be enough bandwidth.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 90
Thanks for contributing all! Good to be back after being away many years! Still the best place for all things hi-fi!

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 90
I bought a pair of HE-400i 2020s and to me they're a good 80% or more of what the HE6SE V2 can do, I think I paid 149 euros new in the box but I really don't remember.

Anyway, you don't want to run planars on a tube amp until you spend a whole lot of money on the amp. A good solid state amp for hifi, not production, is the way to go with these headphones.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 90
Well tube amps are out of my budget anyway. Looking to spend no more than 3-400 usd max on desktop setup. Just keen on tubes because I play guitar, and then of course (they must be better! hahaha).

Sep 26, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 90
Well tube amps are out of my budget anyway. Looking to spend no more than 3-400 usd max on desktop setup. Just keen on tubes because I play guitar, and then of course (they must be better! hahaha).
For high impedance dynamics (i.e. HD 600) tubes are great.

I don't know of a solid state amp in that price range that is sure to do a good job with your Hifimans. I hope somebody else does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back