Bicycle-Fi!
Apr 30, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #407 of 4,427
Used to be serious roadie in the eighties, went to all the trade bike shows
at the NY coliseum, waited till the last day to pick up some goodies.
started with a Raleigh sirroco, some reynolds 501 club racer bought
from stuyvesant bikes.
then bought a custom Richard Sachs from a bicycle coach. the most fun
I've ever had was meeting him, his team and riding with them.
lost both bikes due to bad judgment. (and a Gary Fisher Montare)
Now I have a folding bike, a 32lb Gekko single speed 12 inch wheels.
not the fastest or lightest but it gets me around and it folds so I'm portable
if I become homeless again and the upcoming subway fare jump. not really a compact fold too. and if it gets stolen I'm only out $100.
I lost 10 lbs already this Spring.

I do have one question though, from an olds like me,
when did Brooks saddles become popular? the 80's was all Selle Italia and
Selle San Marco.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #408 of 4,427
I just put down my deposit on a Cinelli MASH track frame. I fell in love with it at Interbike. If I had a wife, she'd have murdered me by now.

3408565495_587168c50f_o.jpg

May 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #411 of 4,427
I was a roady in the 80's. I have a custom Jim Redcay. I'll dust it off and Post some pics. I rode with the ABC ( Atlantic Bicycle Club) out of Manasquan, NJ and the Belmar Touring Society in Belmar, NJ, A drinking club with a bicycle problem.

May 2, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #414 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're kidding, right?

Not at all. I read the entire piece you linked to and that author doesn't seem to have much of a concept for pedaling cadence beyond the definition. Might I suggest the section on cadence in Forester's Effective Cycling and Dick Marr's excellent Bicycle Gearing, A Practical Guide?

Essentially, a fast pedaling cadence (north of 50RPM) at normal effort is a cyclist's friend and matching the drivetrain to the cyclist and the terrain is how you get it. Forcing the cyclist out of the cadence range of 60-100RPM causes problems. Being forced to maintain a cadence south of 50RPM at normal effort is very hard on the knees. Pedaling north of 110-120RPM causes most of us to blow chow. With the exception of elite athletes (and probably not even them over the long run), long rides on a fixie would be like signing up for knee replacement surgery and never finishing a meal in the normal way. Do you think arrogance might play any part in advocating fixies?

Not being able to coast is yet another thing I have no interest in signing up for. I'm sure it builds additional skills, just none I want to develop. I kept my Fuji Roubeaux so that I would have a bike for early Spring and bad weather. But I pedal my fifty-five year old keester around for the pure pleasure of it, not to try to prove anything dubious to anyone foolish.

May 12, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #415 of 4,427
My bike just gained about 20 lbs. and then another 15 on my back.
confused.gif

...I'm going on a bikepacking trip this weekend.
icon10.gif

Most of the heavy weight is water (over 3L) and food for 8 days. I also over packed (this is my first real trip) to see what I really need for next time.
Going to make an epic 5-7 day trip out of this.
7 days if the mtb trails (my end destination before I turn around) are dry enough to ride.

Sorry, had to share-- I'm just too excited!
regular_smile .gif

May 13, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #417 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to need A LOT more than 3L of water if you plan to be out that long..

Hopefully you've got access to a river and a good filtration system, too.

Oh I know. That is just to start and my max amount to carry.

Luckily my entire route follows a river-- plus there are countless streams and lakes along the route if the river dosen't look safe and even a few small towns too. So I should be safe on water

I'm opting to use water purification tablets instead of a filter system for drinking water and boiling for my meals.

It's not the weight that defers me away from a filter system, but the cost. Not only are they initially more expensive than tablets, but they require maintenance and replacement of filters. But I'm sure as I do more of these long trips I'll find the benefits of filter system more appealing.

May 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #418 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not the weight that defers me away from a filter system, but the cost. Not only are they initially more expensive than tablets, but they require maintenance and replacement of filters. But I'm sure as I do more of these long trips I'll find the benefits of filter system more appealing.

Modern water filter systems work really well. If you find yourself liking backcountry stuff, I foresee a water filter system in your future. Fortunately, water filter systems are now a well developed mature technology; that means they are also regularly available on sale.
biggrin.gif
Might I recommend following SierraTradingPost.com? I've had good luck with these folks for almost two decades.

May 15, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #419 of 4,427
This lady was selling her ex boyfriend's bike and she thought it had a flat tire, a broken chain and it hadn't been ridden in years so everything must be rusted out. It turns out the chain was just detached and the air just went out of the tires so I just picked up a 97' Trek 720 for $15.00
biggrin.gif

trek1.jpg

trek2.jpg

I can't wait to take this thing out on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back