Bicycle-Fi!
Apr 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #391 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chain vs Belt vs Drive Shaft
Steel Frame vs Carbon Fiber vs Chromium Aluminum vs Other Compositions
Anyone care to comment and educate me and others reading this thread about different bicycle technologies?

i ride alu but i'd say steel (triple butted) hardtail or even rigid is best. a good character & ride quality, some shock absorbtion built in. some ti frames are deliberately built with flexi-stays or even a small shock connecting them to the frame (no pivots).

i'd avoid carbon unless i was a svelt roadie who needs to eat to survive, lol

i like double or triple alu just for the direct response when you stomp up hills. you stomp, it goes. strong enough to take some beating unlike carbon imo. but alu can fail in a nasty way (snap)

i seen some composite lattice tubing, litterally see straight through it, looks strong but must be a beggar to clean, wouldn't trust it myself. can't remember their names but they make whole bikes.

if i had more money, ti. until it breaks, alu
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #392 of 4,427
the only real problem with disc brakes is that they are not good outside of mountain/touring applications. i need to shed mud and weight and the discs are heavier. they do stop amazingly well though! but for cyclocross, stopping is not really an option! i really need to get some good mountain bike lessons though to help me with inch-jumping and trackstanding which i am atrocious at.

Apr 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #393 of 4,427
For road bikes carbon forks do definietly help, I rode a alu fork hybrid and bars buzzed away like mad. Ride on the road bike - carbon fork - and it's as smooth as silk, even though the hybrid had slightly wide tyres.

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #394 of 4,427
As stated in an earlier post, I have a single speed. How many gears do you really need to ride on the road. I had a 27 speed Trek. I thought all of those gears were too much. With a single speed there is nothing to think about.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #397 of 4,427
Geared bikes are for old men and sissies.

Okay, not really...but come on. I've done about a dozen centuries over the last two years fixed (with brakes) and it is definitely more exciting and rewarding.

I think a lot of the 'technology' employed in modern road bikes is completely superfluous to anyone but the top .05% of cyclists. 11 speed gruppos? Give me a break.

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #398 of 4,427
Does a BMX count? My bike is pretty much all custom, it has the following parts:

- Specialized Fuse 2 frame
- WeThePeople bars
- Animal GLH tires
- Front Sun Rims ZX25 rim on a specialized hub
- Rear Alex Rims Supra-E triple wall with a Shadow conspiracy hub (12T)
- Shadow Conspiracy 25T sprocket
- Odyssey pedals
- Brakeless

It's a pretty fun ride, but the frame needs to lose some weight.

Apr 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #399 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wankerfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a BMX count? My bike is pretty much all custom, it has the following parts:

- Specialized Fuse 2 frame
- WeThePeople bars
- Animal GLH tires
- Front Sun Rims ZX25 rim on a specialized hub
- Rear Alex Rims Supra-E triple wall with a Shadow conspiracy hub (12T)
- Shadow Conspiracy 25T sprocket
- Odyssey pedals
- Brakeless

It's a pretty fun ride, but the frame needs to lose some weight.

If it has two wheels, it counts!!! Was that the bicycle frame or your frame?
My bicycle frame could lose some weight but at that price point it won't happen.

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #400 of 4,427
All I know is that I welcome the 18 gears on my Univega Gran Turismo on a trip with my bike loaded for a 5 day 400 mile trip from Chattanooga, TN to Savannah Ga. Ditto for when I rode five days in the Shenandoah Valley including climbing to the Blue Ridge Pkwy.

Yes I was a sissy.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #401 of 4,427
I can't believe I just found this thread!!

Here is my current stable:

Colnago Dream (old school aluminum with clover shaped tubing) w/ 10sp Dura Ace
Gunnar Ruffian Single Speed MTB w/ Industry Nine Wheels

I sold the following a little over a year ago (too little time to ride with work and kids):

Look KG281
Soma Rush Fixed Gear w/ Campy Pista
Specialized Allez CroMo

Bike-fi is my other sickess!

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #402 of 4,427
Hi Five to the Single speeders and Fixies. I love the simplicity and the workout w/ my converted single speed. This year I lost the drop bars for a flat bar - looks weird but I love the countersteering response.

12 yrs commuting to work and going strong.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #403 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geared bikes are for old men and sissies.

Okay, not really...but come on. I've done about a dozen centuries over the last two years fixed (with brakes) and it is definitely more exciting and rewarding.

So where within this "fixie"-ation does the concept and practice of efficient pedaling cadence fit in?

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #404 of 4,427
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it has two wheels, it counts!!! Was that the bicycle frame or your frame?
My bicycle frame could lose some weight but at that price point it won't happen.

Oh, I guess you can say both frames
biggrin.gif

I'm working on changing my frame right now, but it looks like the Specialized frame will have to be replaced. I just need to save a few dollars (~$400) lol. By the end of the season, I want my BMX to weigh under 20lbs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back