Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Aug 25, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #92 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a valid worry? Kind of troubling...

No. The 1.2T is the magnetic flux within the voice coil gap and would be considerably less where your brain is. Its also a static magnetic field, and opposing magnetisms would reduce eachothers respective intensities (because they are like charged) which would reduce the impact on the head (and have zero on a mono signal at half-way between the two cups).

The issue with cell phones causing tumors etc (highly unjustified claims, btw) is that the magnetic field is assymetrical. Still, they dont have much.

Modern MRI equipment has about 8 tesla in an assymetrical field which multiplies and causes change (resonance) in order to provide the image. There are "issues" apparently associated with this, but compared to this the T1 is rather modest.

Not to mention there is research that shows neuron-growth is increased in rats by the presence of a magnetic field so yay for propaganda.
Mobile phones get the brunt of the medias "magnets poison your body" fiasco, and as such are lowering their emissions to a. reduce the flames and b. maintain a larger battery life.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #94 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks pretty nice to me. And 600 ohms!!!! YAY!!!!

I'm getting very excited. 880 Euros is $1,250 US - expensive, yes, but not out of the question.

Oh Yay...600ohms...built for "Funitor" Phonitor

Aug 25, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #95 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares how good the marketing is? It's just their way of convincing sheep to buy their products, I'm pretty sure most of us buy based on reviews or the past products of the company (in the case of a newly released product).

sure we do... but presentation does play a big role in the perception of things. HD800 presentation was great, nice pics and informative texts that where not too long. Looks like they care about how it is presented to us. That got people drooling.
T1 wall of text is almost impenetrable and thus not as effective, but I'm sure there will be better marketing after the show.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #96 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a valid worry? Kind of troubling...

well, why does only Ultrasone care?

ULE-technology

they even got tons of german PDF's where it seems clear that regular headphones really send a hell lot of EMI straight to your brain and ears..

I spend a lot of time w/ headphones on my head, I hardly ever use cellphones coz I hate them...and I end up w/ far more brain frying frequencies than if I were using one!

and now, they make super-magnets! I can't stand the Ultrasone sound, so I guess I'm SOL on this one
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM Post #98 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is certainly big news. The funny thing for me is that the HD-800s were so un-Sennheiser like in sound (closer to the AKG or Beyer sound?), so I wonder how the T1 will be in comparison to regular Beyers.

Still a lot of "Sennheiser" in the HD800. Too much for me as a 'beyerphile'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone claims to shield EMI, considering the driver is behind a metal plate(they even have a full section on their website about EMI shielding)...the other manufacturers don't seem to care.

Ultrasone uses this for marketing purposes only, if you ask me. If it was really that bad some had most probably found long before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i say unfortunately because i am a sound engineer. i don't care how good these sound they will not be on my head. they sport nearly as much magnetism as an mri! if you went for mri's everyday for a few hours you wouldn't need worry about what malady the mri was scanning! kudo's to ultrasone for implementing the exact opposite technology.

MRI uses an alternating field, not static.

Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then, twice as loud? man oh man. i guess the folks that buy these will probably be those that also chew tobacco and drink a 5th. of jack daniels everyday lol. nice to see beyer cares about our health.

just having been wowed by the dt880 pro i was very excited about this release. untill i read about three lines of the press release. magnetism and electrical current are not your heads friend! high spl is not your ears friend!

The T1 even needs less current then other phones for the same volume level. Less current results in less megnetic field induced by the voice coil.
But thanks to the strong magnet you won't sacrifice overall volume level or dynamics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's just marketing speach. Although often repeated, it's not true. «Hobby HiFi» has conducted a series of tests with speaker drivers, with the result that the magnetic field has no impact on transient response except for the bass resonance (→ think TSP).

Nevertheless, a high driving force can offer the possibility to use lower moving mass for the voice-coil without sacrificing efficiency, and that's what seems to apply with the Tesla (from what I read).

I wasn't necessarily speaking of transient response but greater frequency range ad cleaner frequency reproduction (=less distortion). It's the same reason for a woofer being unable to reproduce high frequencies or distort a lot when forced to do so. They have too much inertia to be able to follow a faster changing signal, resulting in a roll off to higher frequencies.
To reproduce higher frequencies lower the weight of the diaphragm and/or strengthen the magnets. A good mid driver with a lightweight, yet stiff diaphragm and a strong magnetic system is able to reproduce higher frequencies with lower distortion then a heavier one with weaker magnets.
And headphones use single wide range drivers so being able to (theoretically) reproduce higher frequencies with less distortion with the same mass needed to reproduce a good bass can't be a bad thing. Especially since the heights have always been problematic on beyer. It got better with the 600 Ohm system but these still based on the same design as the 250 Ohm.
So I'm putting much hope into this newly designed 600 Ohm only design.

m00h

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #99 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by m00hk00h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't necessarily speaking of transient response but greater frequency range ad cleaner frequency reproduction (= less distortion).

Transient response equates to frequency range. A stronger magnet doesn't affect it, just increases efficiency. Which of course can have a positive effect on the distortion behavior of the connected amp.

But as stated, Beyerdynamic's approach obviously is to use a strong magnetic field for being able to reduce the voice-coil's moving mass without sacrificing efficiency, which is a good thing.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #102 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you guys take this over to the Sound Science board.

Because everything we have right now is theoretical, there's actually not much else to talk about. We are actually picking them apart before they were even put together.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't we just salivate over the potential of these new headphones?

There is that too of course.
L3000.gif

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #104 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These have very little to do with each other.
Read this for an explanation of transient response.

You must know that you can perfectly calculate frequency response from a pulse response – and vice versa. It's all in the transfer function (→ signal theory).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back