Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
Jun 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #136 of 4,487
Oh hell, yeah. I'd go for those just on looks alone. I wonder if those Fostex cups would fit the D7000's without modding? I know D7000 cups don't fit the D2000 without some slight modding.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #137 of 4,487
Quote:

The D7000 looks classy, but I actually prefer the looks on the Fostex TH900.  Too bad it's over two grand  :\

That's a lot of money for a D7000 with fixed treble.  Most of the cash is going to those fancy cups.

OTOH, the D7000 might be near perfect for my tastes if the ringing in the lower treble was fixed.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #139 of 4,487
Just listened to these at the NYC meet. I liked what I heard. I'm probably picking these up over the HE-500s.

Because it was meet conditions, I won't comment on them too much, but I will say that they impressed me just as much as the he500s. And at a much lower weight, which is crucial to long term listening. They are 250 ohm, and my amp handled them amazingly. Same with the he500 which surprised me.

I honestly think my search for an open home set has ended with this headphone.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #140 of 4,487
Jun 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #141 of 4,487
Ok, well I'd take T70p over the Denon D5000 any day of the week so I'd hope the TH900 has some significant improvements on the Dx000 line.

The magnetic flux density is certainly one of them since it surpasses all Tesla models afaik, nearing on what you use in fMRI.

p.s. It's not marketing.

Jun 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #142 of 4,487
Quote:
Just listened to these at the NYC meet. I liked what I heard. I'm probably picking these up over the HE-500s.
Because it was meet conditions, I won't comment on them too much, but I will say that they impressed me just as much as the he500s. And at a much lower weight, which is crucial to long term listening. They are 250 ohm, and my amp handled them amazingly. Same with the he500 which surprised me.
I honestly think my search for an open home set has ended with this headphone.

How was the treble?  Typical Beyer?

Quote:
Ok, well I'd take T70p over the Denon D5000 any day of the week so I'd hope the TH900 has some significant improvements on the Dx000 line.

The T70p doesn't really look like something my ears would find all that pleasant.  Maybe you're just not that sensitive to that kind of ringing but I really can't stand it no matter what else I like about the headphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The magnetic flux density is certainly one of them since it surpasses all Tesla models afaik, nearing on what you use in fMRI.

p.s. It's not marketing.

Even if it's true, the strength of the magnet is still pretty much just marketing.  The only real benefit is making it more efficient and that's not usually an issue that dynamics have to deal with.

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #143 of 4,487
Jun 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #144 of 4,487
Quote:
The T70p doesn't really look like something my ears would find all that pleasant.  Maybe you're just not that sensitive to that kind of ringing but I really can't stand it no matter what else I like about the headphone.

X2.  I'm really skeptical of all Tesla Beyers after seeing this CSD comparison of DT990 vs T70 showing the DT990 to have very similar FR, but much faster decay. 

You'd think Beyer would have learned something in the last 30 years and be making better headphones. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #145 of 4,487
Quote:
X2.  I'm really skeptical of all Tesla Beyers after seeing this CSD comparison of DT990 vs T70 showing the DT990 to have very similar FR, but much faster decay. 

You'd think Beyer would have learned something in the last 30 years and be making better headphones. 

I wonder why they aren't they making better headphones when they're clearly capable of it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #147 of 4,487
They're both just looking at the graphs, the T70p is the best headphone I've heard under $500 and clearly in a different class than DT770, DT990 which I found pretty lackluster imho.

rhythmdevils used to say graph's don't tell you anything but now fell into the school of thought of flat + extended FR / CSD.

Audio is like PC monitors, you can have perfect colour accuracy and infra-red <-> ultraviolet extension, that doesn't necessarily imply the refresh rate, G2G, resolution, size, black levels, contrast ratio or depth are anything to write home about.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #148 of 4,487
Quote:
rhythmdevils used to say graph's don't tell you anything but now fell into the school of thought of flat + extended FR / CSD.

Exactly right.  These CSD's match with what I hear, very consistently.  If they didn't then I wouldn't trust them.  There have been a couple surprises, but not much. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #150 of 4,487
The T90 doesn't have the same signature as the DT series. The Tesla series, seems to me to be tuned entirely different. The highs sparkled, and the bass was tight and punchy. Again this was all in a meet conditions, but I was more impressed with the highs from the T90 than the HE-500. The HE-500s have a leg up in terms of fast bass response, and according to the measurements statistics, it has better highs, also I have learned in this hobby that statistics are not to be trusted. This to me, is not so. It could be that the highs of the T90 are more suited to my tastes. However, as I said... These are going to be my next pair. Unless I demo both in a quiet setting and hear something different, I like the T90s quite a bit. Also, the T90s were not slow in any respect, it is just that the bass response was faster in the HE-500s to my ears. But I enjoyed the bass of the T50s more. And I said the weight was quite nice for long listening, unlike the HE-500s.

I should also mention that the potential of the T90s wasn't all there. Pete, the Beyer sales rep, had just gotten them before the meet, and did not have time for proper burn in. So I have extremely high hopes for the T90s. 

Right now the only thing that is enticing me about the HE-500s is the nice box :p

EDIT: Please remember these are just initial impressions at the Head-fi meet in NY. I'll likely be contacting Pete again to confirm my impressions. My only issue is that I won't have a reference pair to go on. However I should be able to get a better idea than I did at the meet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back