beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Nov 19, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #481 of 1,963
I agree with beyerlove, if you're spending this much on headphones you should be willing to get at least a portable amp. Perhaps you could try getting a portable amp with a bass boost like the fiio E17, maybe boosting the bass will solve your problem.

Good Luck!

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #482 of 1,963
All - Many thanks for your thoughts.  This has been very educational.  I was very aware of the possibility that a portable amp would be necessary to make the T5p shine, but I had to experience directly how it compared to the more iPhone-friendly headphones that I already had (ES5, Momentum).  I'll still burn them in just to see how they sound, but I suspect that I'll just keep the Momentums, return the T5p, and then consider something like the T1 and a "portable" desktop amp (like Beyer's A1 amp) that I can move easily within my house and that will really shine for those moments when I just want to listen to music.  I was never going to take the T5p out of the house, and there would only be a few places within my house where I'd listen to a full-sized headphone.  For my purpose, size, convenience and comfort mean a lot, and the Momentums ring the bell on all three.  I was already on the fence with the T5p because of its size and comfort (not as nice as the other headphones I have, because of my glasses), and if I'm going to be hooking up a portable amp, LOD cable, etc. every time I want to use it, I'll figure out an alternative.  Again, I really appreciate everyone's willingness to share their thoughts, experience and expertise.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #483 of 1,963
Quote:
...T1 and a "portable" desktop amp (like Beyer's A1 amp) ...

The T1 is truly a high class headphone. I do not miss the T1 after getting the T5p though, but I almost only listen for music on the move.

I had the Beyerdynamic A1 and it has great synergy with the T1 but I would recommend the Meier Concerto/Classic instead. It has better treble-resolution than the A1 and generally sounds a tiny bit better for (almost) half the price (here in the EU). Both are great amplifiers and pairs very well with the T1 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #484 of 1,963
Right now I am listening to the T5p directly from my MacBook Air and it is clear to me that they are designed to be used without the need of an amplifier. They sound so crisp, airy and detailed. I could not ask for more in a simplistic and very portable setup. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #485 of 1,963
I agree about the SQ coming out of the MacAir headphone jack.  A real step up from the iPhone, and suggests what with proper amping, the bass will be back!  Unfortunately, I'm not carrying my MacAir around the house.  Also unfortunate is that have to play music in mono mode (partially deaf), and the iPhone has a mode for that, but iTunes on a Mac laptop does not, as far as I can tell.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #486 of 1,963
I spent some time tonight listening to the T5p, and have decided to return it.  I listened to it straight from an iPhone, from my MacBook Air, and then from the headphone jack of my B&W MM-1 speakers; not surprisingly, the sound quality went up with each device.  (I was comparing it each time to the Sennheiser Momentum.)  The clarity/detail, separation and airiness of these headphones are really something, and at least coming out of the MM-1s, the bass quality was "adequate".  I could get used to it, particularly because the other qualities of the headphone are so great.  But I've decided to use the Momentums for everyday use with my iPhone and, eventually, go with a desktop amp and a "non-portable" full size headphone that has more bass presence.  A low/lower volumes, which is what I'd be using most of the time, the difference between these two headphones was not that great, and the stronger bass of the Momentum actually gave it a more satisfying SQ.  For the the kind of money for the T5p and a good amp would run, I can get a hopefully no-compromise setup.  We'll see.  Again, an extremely interesting experience.  And a wonderful site to learn a lot more.  Thanks, all.

Nov 20, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #487 of 1,963
At least you can say you tried. Living with a headphone for a while is the best way to determine whether they are the right ones for you. Enjoy your Momentums they are great headphones too 
normal_smile .gif

Nov 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #488 of 1,963
Quote:
Obviously, technology marches on continuously, and it is possible that the next generation or two will get closer to what I am looking for.

Generation and technology has nothing to do with how these phones sound. They were made to give clarity, soundstage and imaging on the go, while not concentrating on bass. These are tuned to sound the way they do and if you find them bass light, do not try to change them, just return/ resell them and buy something that actually suits your needs.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #489 of 1,963
Quote:

Generation and technology has nothing to do with how these phones sound. They were made to give clarity, soundstage and imaging on the go, while not concentrating on bass. These are tuned to sound the way they do and if you find them bass light, do not try to change them, just return/ resell them and buy something that actually suits your needs.

Fair enough, and that's what I'm doing.  I do wonder wether the lack of concentration on bass in inherent in headphones with exceptional clarity, soundstage and imaging, or whether the lack of concentration on bass in these particular headphones is function of getting those positive qualities in a headphone that can be driven by a low-power device.  Personally, I would love to see companies refine the tuning on the recent crop of "luxury" portable headphones (P5, Fidelio, Momentum, etc.) to emphasize bass/warmth less and clarity/detail more.  Maybe it's not possible, but that would be a great mix of functionality and sound for many people, I would suspect.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #490 of 1,963
Quote:
Fair enough, and that's what I'm doing.  I do wonder wether the lack of concentration on bass in inherent in headphones with exceptional clarity, soundstage and imaging, or whether the lack of concentration on bass in these particular headphones is function of getting those positive qualities in a headphone that can be driven by a low-power device.  Personally, I would love to see companies refine the tuning on the recent crop of "luxury" portable headphones (P5, Fidelio, Momentum, etc.) to emphasize bass/warmth less and clarity/detail more.  Maybe it's not possible, but that would be a great mix of functionality and sound for many people, I would suspect.

I am not sure you can have both at the same time. I think that these phones you mention are simply targeted for a different audience, not those who need to have loads of bass. There are other cans that let you hear bass with some clarity.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #491 of 1,963
Quote:
I am not sure you can have both at the same time. I think that these phones you mention are simply targeted for a different audience, not those who need to have loads of bass. There are other cans that let you hear bass with some clarity.

Szadik - Any you would recommend (bass with some clarity)?  I'm really considering the T1 and the A1 amp (which is small enough to carry around easily in my house).  Everything I've read about the T1 speaks to its clarity and detail (which I loved in the T5p), and greater bass emphasis than the T5p, properly amped.  Again, I'm not a bass-head, and the T5p using the headphone output from my MM-1 speakers was at the lower limit of what I'd consider acceptable to me, so if the T1 is noticeably better (which seems to be the consensus), it may be the one.  Many thanks.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #492 of 1,963
Quote:
Szadik - Any you would recommend (bass with some clarity)?  I'm really considering the T1 and the A1 amp (which is small enough to carry around easily in my house).  Everything I've read about the T1 speaks to its clarity and detail (which I loved in the T5p), and greater bass emphasis than the T5p, properly amped.  Again, I'm not a bass-head, and the T5p using the headphone output from my MM-1 speakers was at the lower limit of what I'd consider acceptable to me, so if the T1 is noticeably better (which seems to be the consensus), it may be the one.  Many thanks.

I wrote my impressions on the A1 with T1 a while ago. Maybe you can use some of it?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-a1-headphone-amp/reviews/5688

Nov 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #493 of 1,963
Quote:

Get Corda Classic instead of A1 and you will be happy :)

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #494 of 1,963
Quote:

Get Corda Classic instead of A1 and you will be happy :)

I would do the same - If I did not have the Concerto already 
normal_smile .gif

I guess that the T1 (and T5p for that matter) benefits with better definition and soundstage from the Active Balanced Ground.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #495 of 1,963
Many thanks for the headphone/amp recommendations.  I can get the Corda Classic shipped to the US, but it seems that the A1 may be a bit more practical (smaller, runs cool).  Hmm.  Difficult choice.  Maybe the A1 and a WA2 later for special occasions.  I really could not believe the level of detail in the T5p (although it was returned today).  I'm not using the greatest source material (256k), but a huge difference in depth, transparency and detail.  If I can have all that and a bit more bass in the T1, it would be perfect. 

Of course,  my wallet is screaming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back