Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Dec 28, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #226 of 766
thank u very much, i put amplifier between pc and dac with aux cable? or pc-dac-amp? sorry but it's first time for me? can u suggest me a good cables?
and if it possible some alternatives if i can't find them in italy
Source (e.g. PC, laptop, phone) to DAC to amplifier.

Typically, you will use a USB cable to connect the DAC to your source; RCA cables are used to connect your DAC and amplifier together.

You don't need expensive cables, just well-built ones. :)

What about fiio k5pro or Hugo chord2?
That's quite a huge leap, from the K5 Pro to the Hugo 2. I don't have much experience with the former, but I own the latter, and it is one of the best trans-portable DACs on the market, IMO. To my ears, it offers oodles of clarity, yet doesn't sound clinical or sterile (thankfully). It's also a lot more expensive than the FiiO DAC/amplifier unit.

Dec 28, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #227 of 766
Source (e.g. PC, laptop, phone) to DAC to amplifier.

Typically, you will use a USB cable to connect the DAC to your source; RCA cables are used to connect your DAC and amplifier together.

You don't need expensive cables, just well-built ones. :)

That's quite a huge leap, from the K5 Pro to the Hugo 2. I don't have much experience with the former, but I own the latter, and it is one of the best trans-portable DACs on the market, IMO. To my ears, it offers oodles of clarity, yet doesn't sound clinical or sterile (thankfully). It's also a lot more expensive than the FiiO DAC/amplifier unit.
Yeah, i see the price of Hugo later...btw thank u very much

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #228 of 766
I finally got my hands on a pair of T5's. Can't wait to test them out.

Attachments

• 20210112_171151.jpg
    20210112_171151.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #230 of 766
congratulation, I am still on fence for this T5 3rd.
I was on the fence about the T5 2nd gen for so long that the 3rd gen came out. These were my choice for endgame headphones so I went for it.

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #231 of 766
I was on the fence about the T5 2nd gen for so long that the 3rd gen came out. These were my choice for endgame headphones so I went for it.
Yeah, I've been mulling on a purchase since it was released in September.

Anyway, how are you finding the headphone? Looking at your signature, you appear to enjoy good bass, so the new T5 will probably fit right in. :)

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #233 of 766
Yeah, I've been mulling on a purchase since it was released in September.

Anyway, how are you finding the headphone? Looking at your signature, you appear to enjoy good bass, so the new T5 will probably fit right in. :)
I'm really enjoying their sound so far. It's hard to describe but the pads fit kind of weird around my ears. They seal fine but I am looking forward to trying some Dekoni choice leather pads on them.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #234 of 766
Test with a better cable when you do, my stock one is problematic amyway, R interrupts
I haven't had any problems with the stock cable, but I do have a third party one coming in.

Jan 29, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #236 of 766
I got a pair of these this week.

About a year ago, I reentered the headphone waters. I had been happiily listening to My AKG K701 and Q701 of a few years, but needed some good closed headphones. I started with the 1770, and then I picked up a pair of 17xx, and it has gone from there. I liked the Beyer sound so much, I also picked up the Amiron, and finally made my way to the T5 (3rd).

I'm a big fan so far of the T5s. I was a but surprised on much tigher the sound was compared to the 1770/17xx. I also like the soundstage difference, that is likely attributable to the angled drivers (I had a pair of the Sony CD3000s back in the day). They also might be the most comfortable headphones I've owned.

It's strange, never had a pair of Beyers until this last round, but I'm loving them.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #237 of 766
I bought the T5.3 and they are really good. Head and shoulders above my current Sony MDR-Z7M2. They sound more Sony that actual Sony do. Very much like them.

Beyers pick up more details, I hear things in songs that I have never heard before, and that I listened to 1000s times. For example, Morgan's mic distortion on the right channel @1.57-2.0. I just can't hear that in Sony's - there is just a bunch of sound mess at that moment where you can't discern anything apart.

Beyers at the same time have significantly narrower sound stage, than Sony MDR-Z7M2. Like, 3x times narrower. (Maybe 2x times, ok?) But thanks to the increased level of details that you can now hear, and better overall sound quality, they are more immersive non the less. What's good in a wide sound stage if it sounds like crap? lol. I exaggerate, but still.
I played a lot of Far Cry New Dawn in T5.3, and despite the 3x times narrower sound stage, they provide 3x times more immersion into the game. Just can't stop playing, following that constant wave of sounds and music... Enjoying it.

The bass at first feels very annoying, and starts to settle down after approximately 3 hours of constant use. Then it becomes better and better with every listening hour, concentrating specifically where it is supposed to be, and not all over the place in every tone possible like when the headphones are new. When they headphones are brand new, the bass is everywhere - in mids, in mids highs, in mids lows, in mids mids, in lows, in highs... you name it. Then it settles down, and goes away from where it shouldn't be.

Now 1 seriously bad thing about the T5.3 - they are very uncomfortable. In terms of comfort - the Sony's are in a different dimension. Beyers pads feels like they are made of wood. No comfort at all. They are also small so you ears will inevitable touch the tough pads and the headphones will press you ears to your head, which feels unpleasant. The stock pads have to be changed for something like Dekoni custom pads. And that's the first thing to do after you buy the headphones.

The second thing - order the custom cable, because the stock 1.4m cable is too short and has way too much microphonics to it. Sony cable in comparison is a high quality top tear accessory.

(And one more thing I would like to note - the T5.3 really started to shine only after I switched the DAC from Low gain to High gain. Interestingly, Sony, that are rated at a higher impedance and having much higher Power Handling Capacity (2000mV Sony vs 300mV Beyer), show noticeable distortions in playback when switched to High gain. So I always run them on Low. Not the case with the T5.3s! So, Beyerdynamics are still Beyerdynamics, and despite being specced to 32ohm, they still appreciate the POWAH. :muscle: :L3000:) <- not really, see edit.

The DAC is Sony TA-ZH1ES.
Cheers.

Edit: After more days of breaking-in, I switched the DAC back to Low gain. The sound is more neutral that way, in High gain the bass is getting emphasized too much. As well as some other tones.
The pads became much more bearable, but still far from the level of comfort of Sony MDR-Z7M2, and the headphones still clamp your head like no tomorrow.
Also the bass really gets in your way of listening more than you would like it to.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #239 of 766
Is this forum bugged or what? I haven't gotten any notification for months despite subscribed.

How does the T5 3rd compare to T5p.2 and Amiron Home/Wireless?

What about fiio k5pro or Hugo chord2?
Fiio K5 Pro.

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #240 of 766
Is this forum bugged or what? I haven't gotten any notification for months despite subscribed.

How does the T5 3rd compare to T5p.2 and Amiron Home/Wireless?

Fiio K5 Pro.
I have compared the T5 (3rd Generation) and its predecessor, the T5p (2nd Generation) here.

They differ fundamentally in signature. Where one is more "v-shaped", the other is darker, with a stronger bass region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back