Beyerdynamic Headphones?
May 23, 2003 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

XtremeD

100+ Head-Fier
Ok I am swapping my DT770pro mainly because of the tight headband pressure and comfort. The list I have to choose from is as follows:

DT770 non pro
DT990 non pro
DT990 pro
DT880
DT831
DT531

Anyone had experience? If so can you summarize how the headphone is with bass - taking in the fact that I will be benchmarking them against the DT770pro bass. Which of them are the most comfortable/ low headband pressure?

TIA

May 23, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 42
I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the headband pressure. It's easy enough to reduce by bending the metal earcup holder part where it kinks. And if you're really tried bending them almost straight and it's still too tight, the only phone I can see for you is the Sony F1!

May 23, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 42
aye but that can ruin the headphone - make it look scruffy. But you must admit some headphones are more comfortable. So therefore I'd like some help to get the most comfortable.

May 23, 2003 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 42
No, won't ruin the phones at all and it's very simple. You just hold that kinked area against a flat edge (like a table, use a hanky to mask the table if you're worried about scratches on the black metal part) and very gently bend it.

The big circumaural earcups distribute pressure very evenly so it is one of the most comfortable headphones about (unless they're too small for you... They were for my titanic head). All you need to do is to reduce the pressure the headband assembly exerts on the earcup... And that's easily done, as detailed above.

May 23, 2003 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 42
Ohhh I get ya now but wheres the kinked area. But even so I don't want the dt770pro. Should I go for the DT770 non pro version you think? Are the Open ones really light or not?

May 23, 2003 at 12:43 PM Post #6 of 42
Oh I see you don't want them. But you want the 770 bass from another Beyer? Sorry... I can't help there. I'm sure someone else can. Sony 7506 with the Beyer DT250 pad is an option if you want the same sort of impact.

May 23, 2003 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 42
Sorry forgot to tell - I'm limited to Beyerdynamic only. I'm doing exchange with the company itself. Thanks for your help though. The director is going to contact me soon - so maybe he can be more of a help. In the mean time - anyone who has these headphones please let me know what they're like.

May 23, 2003 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 42
Should you change your mind:
DT770.jpg

May 23, 2003 at 1:09 PM Post #9 of 42
if the fir isonly problem why not order dt-770 ?
Its same as dt-770pro but bigger and not so tight clamp

May 23, 2003 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by XtremeD
I'm limited to Beyerdynamic only.

This table should give you an idea regarding clamping force and weight. Clamping force is measured in Newtons.

You'll need to stick with the DT770 or DT990 if you need strong bass.

TravelLite

May 23, 2003 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 42
According to Jan when I was emailing him about the pros and cons of opened and closed ... the 990 is going to offer the same deep dark sound, but less muddy and boomy than the 770, due to the openness.

If you want an open 770 then I suppose the 990 would be a good option, but non-pro, since you'll end up with the same headband you don't like from the 770pro.

The old 990 headphones kept falling off my head, these clamp it just fine. I must have a small head or something. In fact, any of the phones you guys complain about as being too small for your head are a good indicator of total comfort for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
The last hat size I took was in the 8th grade for a riding helmet, so I figure it's grown since then - that was 6-7/8.

May 23, 2003 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
According to Jan when I was emailing him about the pros and cons of opened and closed ... the 990 is going to offer the same deep dark sound, but less muddy and boomy than the 770, due to the openness.

plainsong,

It seems that I hear most things differently than Jan. I own both the 990 Pro (250 Ohms) and the 770 Pro (250 Ohms) and to my ears, the 770 Pro is a lot better, more controlled, impactful and less bloated in the mid and upper bass and in the lower mids than the 990 Pro. And the bass-reflex 770 Pro is, of course, more extended in the low bass than the open 990 Pro.

I guess the only Beyer headphone that rivals the bass of the 770 Pro - while being more comfortable - is the new non-Pro-version of the 770. However, I have not yet listened to the new 770, 880 or 990.

The old 531 is quite enjoyable as well, but the 831 ought to be avoided, in my opinion.

May 23, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 42
Firstly why avoid 831?

And secondly you must not know bass. DT770pro was extremely muffled and boomy imo - and every site I've been too commends DT990 for being better bass quality etc.

May 23, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
plainsong,

It seems that I hear most things differently than Jan. I own both the 990 Pro (250 Ohms) and the 770 Pro (250 Ohms) and to my ears, the 770 Pro is a lot better, more controlled, impactful and less bloated in the mid and upper bass and in the lower mids than the 990 Pro. And the bass-reflex 770 Pro is, of course, more extended in the low bass than the open 990 Pro.

I guess the only Beyer headphone that rivals the bass of the 770 Pro - while being more comfortable - is the new non-Pro-version of the 770. However, I have not yet listened to the new 770, 880 or 990.

The old 531 is quite enjoyable as well, but the 831 ought to be avoided, in my opinion.

I share the same thought as you tomcat. The dt770, unlike what some had mentioned, is not too boomy actually. It has got the impact, depth and fun factor. Of course those who are not used to listening it will comment on how boomy it is. The fact is that 770 has one of the best quality bass. Deep, controlled, extended,and very rounded.
I've also heard the 880. The bass on this goes very deep too. The impact is very good for open can. If I were to rate it, I would give it a nod over hd600's bass. And dt880 has better soundstage and more realistic sound reproduction too ..

May 23, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by XtremeD
Firstly why avoid 831?

And secondly you must not know bass. DT770pro was extremely muffled and boomy imo - and every site I've been too commends DT990 for being better bass quality etc.

XtremeD,

First things first.
wink.gif
I have never cared for the closed DT831 or for the open DT931 because I found their rather bright tonal balance to be easily annoying. Neither of them has the cohesion, coherence and musicality of the 770 Pro or 990 Pro. And neither
of them presents music with enough body, palpability and dynamic impact. I find both the 770 Pro and the 990 Pro to be a lot more enjoyable and involving (and I guess the new non-pro versions and the new 880 would be equally pleasing).

Secondly: the 770 Pro's bass. It's not perfect, but it's sufficiently violent. It has subwoofer-like slam usually not to be found in headphones, especially not in open ones. Now, tell me: how many subwoofers do you know that utilize an open baffle configuration for their driver? Back pressure loading will almost always give the amp more control over the driver's bass behaviour. However, a ported design like the 770 Pro is not without problems either. Typically, phase linearity is seriously compromised around the port hole's resonance frequency and that's audible as a soemwhat detached low bass. But all things considered, I clearly prefer the 770 Pro to the 990 Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back