Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jul 28, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #61 of 4,798

Why does this guy remind me of Ben Affleck?

popcorn.gif

When did YOU become the popcorn guy? Move aside that is my spot.
popcorn.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #62 of 4,798
Jul 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #65 of 4,798
  I can appreciate a good popcorn
popcorn.gif
...and for the record driver size isn't related to performance 
cool.gif

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Driver size has nothing to do with sound quality (or popcorn).
You can have a great sounding 40mm driver and a terrible 53mm, 70mm, ...

Its not how big it's how you use it

Which only Sennheiser knows how.  No 40mm-driver headphones hold a candle to HD6x0/HD700 (40mm-driver headphones) for good reasons.  Good ol' Senn is awesome like that, among other ways.
This Focal will probably be another underperformer.

Anyway, back on topic, I look forward to DT1990. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #66 of 4,798

Which only Sennheiser knows how.  No 40mm-driver headphones hold a candle to HD6x0/HD700 (40mm-driver headphones) for good reasons.  Good ol' Senn is awesome like that, among other ways.

Anyway, back on topic, I look forward to DT1990. 
popcorn.gif

You might want to read some reviews and impressions before making your decision purely from on data point (the size of the driver).  Clearly nobody cares what I have to say about it, but Tyll just put out his review of the Elear and he seems rather taken with it (and the Utopia).

Anyways, yeah, I guess this headphone is officially launching in Sept.  Hopefully we'll get some feedback from London.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #67 of 4,798
  You might want to read some reviews and impressions before making your decision purely from on data point (the size of the driver).  Clearly nobody cares what I have to say about it, but Tyll just put out his review of the Elear and he seems rather taken with it (and the Utopia).

I care what you have to say. I'd assume the person you quoted is trolling, if not then he's clearly just oblivious or trying to be unique - some people just enjoy disliking things, happens, no matter how many good reviews or positive feedback they get, they'll just never be as good as x, in this case "old Sennheiser". I personally don't understand why anyone thinks saying headphones that are blatantly good as per any number of great and knowledgeable reviewers/members of the community are going to be underperformers based on something as silly as driver size is a good idea but each to their own ey? 
popcorn.gif

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #68 of 4,798
I for one am excited about this new model.  It seems Beyer is consciously moving away from the bass-light overly-bright sound signature that their critics dislike. But they are keeping enough treble energy to make the sound detailed and exciting without being harsh. I get the sense after talking to my contact at Beyer that they will be weeding out some less popular models next year and introducing some exciting new products.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #70 of 4,798

You've been sleeping for the past few weeks, haven't you...? :p

Those Focals have the most advanced drivers ever put inside a headphone, and most importantly, take a different (and right) direction in designing headphone drivers from ground up.  Their diameter is irrelevant, the design and materials used make them far superior to any 40 mm driver out there right now, and probably superior to any dynamic headphone driver out there, full stop.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #71 of 4,798

You've been sleeping for the past few weeks, haven't you...? :p

Those Focals have the most advanced drivers ever put inside a headphone, and most importantly, take a different (and right) direction in designing headphone drivers from ground up.  Their diameter is irrelevant, the design and materials used make them far superior to any 40 mm driver out there right now, and probably superior to any dynamic headphone driver out there, full stop.

Woah..that's quite the statement there.  Granted, the previous statement wasn't particularly fair either, but to discount greats like TH900 and HD800...  Have you heard the Focal yet? 

popcorn.gif

Jul 29, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #72 of 4,798
  Woah..that's quite the statement there.  Granted, the previous statement wasn't particularly fair either, but to discount greats like TH900 and HD800...  Have you heard the Focal yet? 

popcorn.gif

There's a whole thread for discussing the Focal headphones.  I suggest we take that discussion over there.  And you should probably read some impressions from people who HAVE heard it.  The reason he says it might be the best dynamic headphone ever is because many people (myself included) have said that.  

We should probably keep this thread on track.

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #73 of 4,798

There's a whole thread for discussing the Focal headphones.  I suggest we take that discussion over there.  And you should probably read some impressions from people who HAVE heard it.  The reason he says it might be the best dynamic headphone ever is because many people (myself included) have said that.  

We should probably keep this thread on track.

Interesting. I have read the impressions - seems like a good can.  Exciting stuff without a doubt.  However, I'm going to moderate my opinions/ temper expectations until I hear it myself.  I'm just a hesitant when I see such broad statements cropping up on other threads at an early point in a headphone's release.  At any rate, I'm here on this thread for the 1990, not the Focal's.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #74 of 4,798
I can't wait to hear some impressions of these. I'm looking for a warmer replacement/upgrade to my T70's and these have the potential to fit my needs perfectly.

It's also nice to see Beyer using a detachable cable and removable earpads on thier lower priced (that is, lower than 1k) cans. I'm interested in the 2 different earpads. It's a nice idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back