Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 15, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #826 of 3,701
  I was a little confused about the custom headphone lineup.
Custom pro one
Custom pro one plus
Custom Street
Custom Studio

I think I got this right and did not know there was a Custom Studio

Custom One Pro
Custom One Pro Plus

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #827 of 3,701
  I was a little confused about the custom headphone lineup.
Custom pro one
Custom pro one plus
Custom Street
Custom Studio

I think I got this right and did not know there was a Custom Studio

Yea, it's this one.

In terms of sound I would not put them in the same category with other Custom line headphones, those are more like gimmick headphones, whereas the Studio is a serious headphone, and the 2nd best professional closed headphone Beyer makes, superior to DT770 line, closer to DT1770 than DT770 in terms of sound quality and technical ability.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #828 of 3,701
Yea, it's this one.

In terms of sound I would not put them in the same category with other Custom line headphones, those are more like gimmick headphones, whereas the Studio is a serious headphone, and the 2nd best professional closed headphone Beyer makes, superior to DT770 line, closer to DT1770 than DT770 in terms of sound quality and technical ability.

Drivers of the Custom Studio are very close to the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, sound quality, too.
If you want Tesla quality on an around-ear professional headphone, DT 1770 Pro is the ONLY choice you have.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #829 of 3,701
I got some DT1770 and found them quite comfortable for longer periods (especially but not only with the velour pads) decent isolation and good bass. But I did not like their tonal character in the mids and highs, very HiFi not music. The decay of notes was very unnaturally. Quite in middle of your head soundstage. Tried it with my Macbook, Samsung phone, iPad and AK120 , volume wise they worked great  but the basic character was the same.  They are going back! What to try next for a closed one?

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #830 of 3,701
Guys would you say the amp section of the AK120 is sufficient to drive the DT 1770 well? Because that was the only amped source @greenmountain tried the 1770's with. If not, I would really recommend you give this 'can a decent chance with a more powerful amp. They're 250 ohms so should be able to scale well with better amps. Maybe you have a hi-fi store that you can plug them in to, or maybe another user can chime in on which amps this shines with, versus unamped.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #831 of 3,701

I was listening to the DT-1770 at 56 to 62 out of 75 on the AK120 (similar levels  with my  Hifiman RE-400 which are quite o.k. sound wise but I can not stand IEMs). Maybe a better amp would improve things but not the basic sound signature. I am not defending the AK120 as the best amp but I think it was not the problem with the DT-1770

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #835 of 3,701
i must say thanks to the furutech cable , with this one i can hear ( it is subtle ) but noticeable weird resonance with the bass response on the the left driver , especially with acoustic jazz . i return the headphone , and now waiting for a new replacement one . i can say that with the furutech everything's open up with the dt1770 . Thank you . 

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #836 of 3,701
Drivers of the Custom Studio are very close to the DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms, sound quality, too.
If you want Tesla quality on an around-ear professional headphone, DT 1770 Pro is the ONLY choice you have.

Yea, of all the DT770's, the 80 ohm version is the most similar in sound to the Studio, but as someone who owned that 80 ohm version for several years and used it as a daily, I can tell the Studio is obviously superior, it's just cleaner and more refined sounding, without that low-mid, upper-bass bloom that the DT770 had. It's a nice job you guys did, especially if the drivers are actually the same or very similar, because that would mean the improvement in sound come from the enclosure, which is totally different than the DT770 one, and the tuning ports really give a lot of freedom to tune the driver and make it sound better. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #838 of 3,701

I agree. It sounded a lot like a DT 770. Slightly more refined, likely from design tweaks. The DT 1770 I hope negates that mid scoop and high end hype.

The mid scoop is heard when playing vocals. Hrm 7 does better vocals. The DT1770 is a better headphone though overall. The highs are a little hyped but only a little.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #839 of 3,701
Will that's me out of this thread....I already have the best V shape headphone with the TH900 and hoped this headphone would offer a difference....as in better mids but still with good bass....oh dear, the search continues....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back