Beyerdynamic comparison - input needed
Aug 14, 2010 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gunnerbob

New Head-Fier
Am looking at getting a new set of cans, I hear good things about the Beyerdynamics, and here's my situation:

-Will be used mostly for gaming, but I don't care about the uber-3d positioning features that tend to make the sound quality garbage for the most part.  I'm not out to win gaming competitions, I want some immersivity in my games
-also to be used secondarily for music so I need something that won't sacrifice sound quality for gaming to the point they sound like crap in music/movies
-looking at an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card upgrade
-I will need a microphone, so I may have to look at a mic mod (I'm a beginner with that stuff though)

So here is my shortlist for now:

-DT 880
-DT 990 PRO
-MX 300 (yes, it's a headset please don't ban me LOL.....but I will need a microphone, so......and on a side note, anyone know how these compare to the new Sennheiser 360??)

No amp right now but am definitely open to the possibility.  Don't think I need the 600ohm variety cans though, my ears probably aren't that discerning.

I am a bit of a bass whore but not to the point it drowns out everything else.  I guess I'm looking for something solid all-around.

So.......input, thoughts, comparisons?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Aug 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 21
I have both the 880/250 and the 990/600.  The 880s are great cans.  They are very neutral, accurate, and polite.  They play certain genres very well, but they can tend to suck some of the life out of some more rocking recordings.  The 990s aren't as neutral, accurate, or polite, but they are more fun and energetic.  For gaming, I'd probably look at the 770s and the 990s before the 880s.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks.  I understand the MX 300 is based on the 770 (true?), but obviously with the microphone designed into the package.  If that's the case, how does the 770/MX 300 shake out against the 990?

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 21
I honestly don't know if the 300 is based on the 770s. 

Quote:
Thanks.  I understand the MX 300 is based on the 770 (true?), but obviously with the microphone designed into the package.  If that's the case, how does the 770/MX 300 shake out against the 990?

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 21
Well I'm picking up a used pair of DT770/80 to start with, see how it goes on the cheap.  If they work well I'll try a mic mod.  I have a feeling though that I'm going to want to branch out and try some other ones after this LOL.

Thanks.

Aug 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 21
Welcome to the addiction.  I applaud your upfront honesty and realism.  When I first got started, I said I wasn't going to buy more cans or do extensive tube rolling.  Ya......that lasted a week.  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Quote:
 I have a feeling though that I'm going to want to branch out and try some other ones after this LOL.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 21
Picked up my DT 770/80's last night.  They are used, but I don't care, this is my first foray into getting "real" quality headphones.

My impressions?

HOLY CRAP!  I FRICKIN LOVE THEM!

I tried them with Battlefield 2: Bad Company and now I can hear sounds that I didn't even know existed in the game.  I'm not used to closed cans but I kinda like how they kill most of the ambient noise, now I know how to tune out the wife LMAO!

And I should mention I am a bit of a bass whore and these DT 770's ROCK!

I'm so bloody happy with these headphones, it's like night and day compared to what I'm used to.  My old  headset is going into trash as soon as I get a mic mod done.  I'm new to all of this so hopefully it goes well.

Thanks everyone. :)

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 21
I just got a pair of DT880/250s as my first foray into real headphones. Plugged straight into my Xonar D2X and I can't recommend them enough :) looking forward to amping them properly in the future. For gaming though, these forums will tell you time and time again to try the 770/990s.

Quote:

-I will need a microphone, so I may have to look at a mic mod (I'm a beginner with that stuff though)

I had this problem too, solved by the surprisingly good Logitech desktop digital microphone (easily google-able). I found it for ~£15 on ebay. It can pick your voice up very well without having to sit next to it. I much prefer it to a headset mic now. It will suit for voice comms but not if you want to professionally record voice, which is probably what you want.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 21
beyerdynamic headphones + bad company 2 = synergy

gratz to GunnerBob for the DT770/pro80's. Enjoy your heavy bass, sir ! Just please be careful to not step on any C4's. 
smily_headphones1.gif

and gratz to Groog on the DT880/250. Please give them a proper amp, and they will never let you down.

both of these headphones work very good with BC2.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 21
Bad Company 2 eh? I use my AD700's every time I play. I can hear through walls with them. Very useful.

It's fun how you can hear enemies run up the entire stairway while you are sitting up on the roof. Waiting.

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 21
yes, AD700 is also a strong performer in BC2.

but this is a beyerdynamic thread bro
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back