Best Way To Back-Up Comp Data??
Jul 25, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 23
I know mirror the HD over night and store it away sounds like the best way. But if the Computer does get stolen, you'll need to buy a new one anyway. Won't you need another PC that's is EXACTLY the same as the one that got stolen?

I mean all the drivers in the new PC might be different, there might be a newer Graphics card, faster CPU. Won't this cause some major conflict?

Jul 25, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron
Ok I don't know ****. My new advice is buy a gun and sleep with your computer.

LOL! Check. Check. I do both already.

wink.gif

Jul 25, 2001 at 7:54 PM Post #19 of 23
Dont get dis-heartened ai0tron. I hate guns anyways.

My main concern is the data, not the OS and all that. I know in a business environment for example, as much damage can be caused by down-time + loss of unique data. But for me i just dont want to loose my files.

If the comp is stolen i would reinstall the OS and software if requierd. No big deal. I got time!

Jul 25, 2001 at 9:58 PM Post #21 of 23
If you have time then do what I do, just back up the data every few weeks on CD-R, use a few if you need room. Don't tell me the 30GB changes completely every week! Just back up the new and altered data and keep the CDs safe.

Since you have the orginal programs and OS, load them back up and put the CDs back on the HD. Much cheaper and you can do a lot more with the CD-burner as well

Jul 26, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
I know mirror the HD over night and store it away sounds like the best way. But if the Computer does get stolen, you'll need to buy a new one anyway. Won't you need another PC that's is EXACTLY the same as the one that got stolen?

I mean all the drivers in the new PC might be different, there might be a newer Graphics card, faster CPU. Won't this cause some major conflict?

Answer to you is No. it does not matter. You can always boot to SAFE MODE and change drivers. Run add new hardware. and be up n running with 1 reboot. Faster CPU speed has absolutely no effect on Hard drive contents. ( same as it makes no difference if system ram is 64 megs or 256 megs) NO need to reinstall windows or any drivers. ( if the HD he is cloning has a full windows install with the original files, he does not even need windows OS cd to install new drivers)

The absolutely CHEAPEST WAY and easiest way *IMO* is the new HD with internal route. All you need is one HD (whatever size u want) and one Drive cloning/imaging program. Then run the cloning while u are getting the ZZzZZzzzzzZZzz
smily_headphones1.gif

Store it away safely. Once you move to a more *secure* place , you can install the drive back and use it as an extra HD !
smily_headphones1.gif

I do not know eeyssjr's knowledge of computer hardware, nor the act of removing computer case scares him
wink.gif
As a matter of fact, installing a new HD is really simple, connect power and data cable then fdisk it, done ! Since he wants to clone the HD, he does not even have to mount it with screws, just place it on a firm place(above cdr drive, or bottom of case) and start the cloning. wake up next day and disconnect it and store aside.

Entire process of case removing, conencting HD to cpu ( excluding cloning time) takes less than 5 mins if you are slow ( I can do it under 2 mins
cool.gif
)

This is really the cheapest and best way to go at it ( IMO)
NO additional cost( just HD and hd cloning software)

I think programs like norton ghost and drive copy all are free to download( trial ver) so just cost of HD, which is dirt cheap these days..

Tides

Jul 27, 2001 at 5:18 AM Post #23 of 23
Well, the one advantage that Windows has over *nix is its autodetection and self-configurability. Don't worry about getting the same hardware, Windows will work so long as the real biggies (video card, SCSI controller if any, network card) are the same.

Also, I recommend tape backup. True, it's slow, but a good tape drive (HP preferably!) has *very* small tapes (easy to hide!) that hold a *lot* of data (40GB+) and is quite reliable. Unfortunately, they're also quite expensive, and won't fit in your removable caddies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back