Best (timbre) IEM?
Jan 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 134

tuahogary

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a PL30 and although it has far less detail and power as my W3, it seem to always do one thing better that is timbre. It sounds more realistic to my ears. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that it is dynamics and not BAs. So I'm looking for the best dynamics out there. I tried the IE8 but I didn't like it. In fact I preferred the PL30 sound sig. Don't like too much warmth or bass instead I lean more towards fast, cold, balanced, analytical. Of course one with timbre that betters the BAs. Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry for awkward post, I'm typing from my phone :p

Edit: I'm just looking for the best timbre, regardless of sound signature or driver type. Thanks!

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 134
Depends on the kind of music you listen to! I think my Panasonic HJE900's do the timbre of distortion guitars extremely well. The JVC FX700 is known to reproduce the timbre of acoustic instruments the best as well. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 134
JVC HA-FX700 best timbre hands down and also maybe the best in dynamic range. It has it's own flaws but these are their fortes, the timbre is even unmatched with certain electronic instruments. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 134
Thanks for your replies everyone! I'm someone who appreciates timbre in non-electronic instruments that is recorded straight into the mic.

I must say the FX700 sounds very tempting but where can I buy it from? Anybody around selling theirs? Does it sound like an IEM version of an open back headphones?

The TS02 is also very intriguing considering its affordable price and mic that I can use with my phone. 

I'm not sure how the Hifimans and Sunrise stack up in terms of realistic timbre but they do seem to fit my desired sound signature. The HJE900 looks a bit too warm for my liking but perhaps someone can tell me more about them?

Jan 31, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 134
FX700 does sound like an iem version of an open back headphone. You can order it from Seyo-Shop but the price is steep and isolation isn't the best. 

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 134

Quote:
Out of all the dymanic driver phones i have ,mtpg,ie7,hje900,mtpc,ie8  the hje900 has by far the best timbre for bass, electric guitars, drums.

What is your opinion on the dynamics vs the BAs vs MAs that you own in terms of timbre? Is timbre on the HJE900 much better than say the EQ7 and W3 or do you think there isn't a significant difference?

Quote:
FX700 does sound like an iem version of an open back headphone. You can order it from Seyo-Shop but the price is steep and isolation isn't the best. 

Thanks. Can the soundstage match the likes of an Alessandro MS2?

Feb 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #11 of 134
Haven't tried the MS2, only the MS1. The soundstage of the JVCs is big and deep for an iem, but it's not as "round" as full size headphones, but it's definitely up there in terms of stage size. 

Feb 1, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 134

Quote:
"fast, cold, balanced, analytical." You just described the sound sig of the RE0s and the RE252s. And possibly the Sunrise xcapes as well.

x2

also sports the timbre you are looking for

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 134
Well, I've heard the RE0, RE252 and FX700 and IMO the RE0's timbre is off 'cause it's tipped towards brightness, e.g. cello or bass strings leave a lot to be desired. Even more mid/treble centric instruments like violin are somewhat screechy in the upmost ranges. The RE252 does it a lot better to my ears and the FX700 even more so, but the latter is a bit warmer than the former, yet no more than your PL30, if you wear the JVC with a loose seal. Soundstage wise there's absolutely no comparison, the FX700 has a sense of space and openness that's pretty much unrivalled among the IEMs I know and both the RE0 and RE252 feel claustrophobic in comparison.

As for moving armatures, they have surprisingly good timbre to my ears and (judging from memory) I'd think that the e-Q5/7 or GR10 can keep up with the HJE900, but again the FX700 is a step up from all of these. Just keep in mind that they're vented and have pretty low isolation, which of course is the secret behind their soundstage.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 134

Quote:
Well, I've heard the RE0, RE252 and FX700 and IMO the RE0's timbre is off 'cause it's tipped towards brightness, e.g. cello or bass strings leave a lot to be desired. Even more mid/treble centric instruments like violin are somewhat screechy in the upmost ranges. The RE252 does it a lot better to my ears and the FX700 even more so, but the latter is a bit warmer than the former, yet no more than your PL30, if you wear the JVC with a loose seal. Soundstage wise there's absolutely no comparison, the FX700 has a sense of space and openness that's pretty much unrivalled among the IEMs I know and both the RE0 and RE252 feel claustrophobic in comparison.

As for moving armatures, they have surprisingly good timbre to my ears and (judging from memory) I'd think that the e-Q5/7 or GR10 can keep up with the HJE900, but again the FX700 is a step up from all of these. Just keep in mind that they're vented and have pretty low isolation, which of course is the secret behind their soundstage.

I concur with james regarding the e-q5 having better timbre. The one are the HJE900 does better timbre wise is with distortion guitar. But stringed instruments are more realistic on the e-q5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back