Best Studio Headphones
Feb 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #137 of 601
  key term for you.. but I get it. hadn't I had the yamaha at the same time and compared them both a lot a lot then the sony would still be here. The yamaha barely won me over but I find that since it has less midbass hump next to the strong lower mids like the sony does that is it more accurately balanced, less congested and the tones/timbres are more true to the nature of the recording on the yamaha.

but yes monitors are better. but since i also want to really enjoy the music my taste is for less congestion.

Yes, as I said, for me. But I understand why you prefer the Yamaha.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #143 of 601
  key term for you.. but I get it. hadn't I had the yamaha at the same time and compared them both a lot a lot then the sony would still be here. The yamaha barely won me over but I find that since it has less midbass hump next to the strong lower mids like the sony does that is it more accurately balanced, less congested and the tones/timbres are more true to the nature of the recording on the yamaha.

but yes monitors are better. but since i also want to really enjoy the music my taste is for less congestion.

Grizzly, the Yamaha is available in the UK at the moment for around £130. That's about 1/3 of the price that the 7520 was before it was discontinued (or what it costs if you buy from the States now). That makes the Yamaha incredible value if it's as good as the Sony.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #145 of 601

Grizzly, the Yamaha is available in the UK at the moment for around £130. That's about 1/3 of the price that the 7520 was before it was discontinued (or what it costs if you buy from the States now). That makes the Yamaha incredible value if it's as good as the Sony.

that is one of the reasons I like it so. It is affordable. The sony has things that are technically better, resolution being one of them (by a little) but the yamaha stacks up against it so well that what you mentioned is a steal. Also I think there is a youtube review of them around I think I have seen one or two.

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #146 of 601
For a closed model, I'm impressed with KRK KNS8400 so long as one replaces the hard, noise-bearing plastic they call a cable. Besides that, it's a little bright which you can mod with foam under the earpads (I didn't need to). The headroom chart seems quite inaccurate to me in this case.

I really liked the 8400s when I had them at home and recording some snippets BUT I didn't like them for just listening and enjoying music. Too tilted up-top, too cold. But for recording and probably mixing they should do excellent.

I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned Shure SRH940s!!
Yes they are bright and their bass attack is lacking (i.e. not boosted, no slam) but I don't doubt they'd do great in that setting. Personally I preferred them over the KNS.

do you guys think that flat measurements are the most important?
  would the shure 1840 be just as worthy of being scratched off because it has absolutely no bass? where as the 1540 has too much?
  ^rhetorical

Where did you get the idea that the SRH1840 has no bass? The problem with relying on what other people say - is that unless you take their individual preference into account - you'll have a very coloured view of the world. That's why more "reviews" should always state the listeners/reviewers preference. Give a basshead, or someone who is used to orthos/planars, the SRH1840 and they'll call it bass light. Give it to someone who is more used to a neutral can - and they'll tell you the bass is perfectly balanced.

If you wanted an idea of what the SRH1840 sounds like, and have heard the HD600, just imagine an HD600 without the mid-bass hump, and with flatter mid-range, and more 'apparent' detail. I say apparent - because I think the detail is same/similar to HD600 but it shines through more because of the lack of mid-bass hump.

I personally loved it when I owned mine. With the drop in price to sub 500, and the possibility of picking up a used pair for $300 or lower, I'd probably repurchase again.

And no - they have beautifully rendered bass IMO, and would be very good for mixing and mastering - especially because they are so flat.

Totally agree and mentioned a similar statement in my review... so if found cheap, the HD600 or 1840s would do great as well.

i cant wait for this spirit pro to get here. I have a feeling it may dethrone my yamaha. 

I've yet to read even one negative review regarding the sound of those. All the grumbling focused on the small pads. We'll be waiting for your impressions!

That's the only thing that has stopped me from getting those... ugh!
But yeah, will wait on impressions.

Regarding the Yammies, I really do like them even though I know they have a couple of cons, especially boosted upper-highs/highs (on some songs I detect sibilance that I don't get with others such as the Alpha Dogs.).

My list of recommendations would include:

1) Shure SRH940
2) KRK 8400
3) Yamaha MT220
4) MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs
5) Sennheiser HD600s
6) Spider Moonlight Studio maybe...
7) AKG K551

Also, an old read but could be helpful: https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

Check.

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #147 of 601
Some song I get it some songs I don't but I don't know if its the recording or what. I listened to two versions of my fab song righ now. The one on YouTube was mixed for a video after the original song was mixed and the video is a lot less sibilant whereas the flac of it on the record made me not like the song as much. I just figured it was them and not the hp.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #148 of 601
If you scroll to the bottom of that SOS article you see their top overall recommendations. For closed, they recommend the Sony 7509HD. I still wonder how or why it is that the 7509HD seems to have flown so spectacularly under the radar on Headfi. Excellent studio hp IMO (and that of SOS!). The 7520 is better though.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #149 of 601
If you scroll to the bottom of that SOS article you see their top overall recommendations. For closed, they recommend the Sony 7509HD. I still wonder how or why it is that the 7509HD seems to have flown so spectacularly under the radar on Headfi. Excellent studio hp IMO (and that of SOS!). The 7520 is better though.

SOS is a good spot. you have to pay for some of their reviews though.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #150 of 601
  I really liked the 8400s when I had them at home and recording some snippets BUT I didn't like them for just listening and enjoying music. Too tilted up-top, too cold. But for recording and probably mixing they should do excellent.

Really? "Too tilted up-top, too cold" doesn't sound very neutral to me. You'd probably end with a warmer-than-desired mix.

I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned Shure SRH940s!!
Yes they are bright and their bass attack is lacking (i.e. not boosted, no slam) but I don't doubt they'd do great in that setting. Personally I preferred them over the KNS.

Maybe neither is a top choice, then. From what you're saying, the SRH940 isn't neutral, though more than the KNS 8400.

I do have read reviews calling the SRH940 "neutral" or "linear," however. Should I swap the SHR1540 for the SRH940, in my opening post?

My list of recommendations would include:

1) Shure SRH940
2) KRK 8400
3) Yamaha MT220
4) MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs
5) Sennheiser HD600s
6) Spider Moonlight Studio maybe...
7) AKG K551

1) Over the SHR1540?
2) In the opening post.
3) In the opening post.
4) In the opening post.
5) In the opening post.
6) Why?
7) Do you know how it sounds, compared to the K550?

Which one among those would be your favorite monitoring/mixing monitor, and why?

Also, an old read but could be helpful: https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

Yup. Read that one. But most of the close cans that are most interesting today (MDR-7520, Spirit Pro, Alpha Dogs ...) didn't exist when this article came out. 
frown.gif

SOS is a good spot. you have to pay for some of their reviews though.

All of them when they're new, IIRC. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back