BEST solution for airplane (JH13Pro custom vs FitEar universal), money is no object but sound quality, comfort, and lastly portability are
Dec 2, 2012 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Beejohn

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first post on head-if, hello Everyone! I have been reading a lot on the forum, but now I come to you all with a question as to which you all woud think is the best solution for me.

I would like a setup for international airplane travel that provides the best sound quality possible with passive noise cancellation (Bose QC15 sound like crap to me and I can't stand their pressure on the ears). Currently my home office setup are two Audioengine A5 bookshelf speakers with built in Amps connected to a creative sound card on my desktop and I love the sound of those. If I could recreate that clarity and tight bass for my electronica, indie rock, and hip hop music for the airplane I would be in heaven.

From what I have read a custom IEM is going to provide the best sound isolation, best SQ, and best comfort for me in this setup. I went and tried a demo of JH audio for a few hours of the JH13Pro and JH16 and I liked them. These were universal versions however and I know the sound will change once I get the custom molds. I liked the bass response on the JH13 Pro, but I also liked the oomph of bass on the JH16 but on some songs I thought it was a bit much, and I would probably be fatigued by the 16s if I got them. The controllable bass of the JH-3a setup would be best, but I'm not willing to carry that amp and once the 8hr battery dies on my flight I'd have to go back to my DAP and that's another $65 cable I'd have to buy to connect the JH-3a to my DAP. Not a very pretty solution.

The other thing I didn't like about the JH13 setup was that I couldn't listen to the music loud. I found the sweet spot with my iPhone was right at 75% volume level. Everything sounds AMAZING at this level. Detail, bass, etc, etc. but I'm the type of person who likes to listen to their music loud but have it be comfortable for my ear at the same time. I found that when I turned it up to 80 or 90% my ears would hurt and the high-er mids on some songs would almost sound distorted because they were so hurting loud. Not fun loud. Is this because I was playing my music through my iPhone? I also had a demo of the Shure SE215 (I know, completely different types of IEMs and different classes) but I found those fun to be played loud. Without hurting my ears and not giving me that metallic over boosted high mids/vocals during the song that was unpleasant to my ears and hurting. Why is that?

I am willing to carry a second portable device in addition to my iPhone but it must not be bigger than being able to fit in my pocket. I was thinking the sandisk clip+ would be a good choice. The Fostex HP-P1 might be a bit too big for me to carry, and the 8hr battery doesn't fit my requirement for international flights that are 14hr+.

So after researching IEMs it looks like the next higher end model is the Fitear 334. But comfort is a huge factor for me and it looks like these are only available as a universal fit in the USA. If you had your choice of JH13Pro custom or Fitear 334 universal which would you choose? Are the fitears just as comfortable as a set of JH13Pro's?

Is there a way to get an MH334 custom in the USA? I am going to be in Hong Kong in December, is it possible to get them there?

What setup would you get if you were me? FitEar togo 334 vs JH13Pro custom? I really disliked the pressure on my ear that i had with the Shure 215 even with the smallest tips on. Right now I am leaning towards a very nice DAP and doing whatever I can to get my hands on a custom MH334 setup. I want to buy this setup and have it last me for 10years and not regret my $2k decision. Thoughts? I appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks,

Beejohn

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 33
P.s. I was using an iPhone 4S as a source. And the song I was playing where I was complaining about the vocals and mids being overpowering and metallic like (is bright the right word?) was Morgan Page - Strange Condition (Inpetto Mix) from 3:10 to about 4:20. Thanks everyone in advance.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 33
I do not have jh 13 pro , but I have jh 16 pro and fit ear to go 334

Custom iem is the best comfort and isolation for your flight use

My set up for long distance traveling like below :

Source : iPhone 4 S
Amp : pico slim and head stage arrow 4 G
These two amps are the best battery life about 80 hours
Iems: fit ear 334
Um miracle as my custom

Music file : all in WAV

Now i use seldom my Jh 16 pro , because can not hear more than 2 hours
These two iems above are not so fatigue soundzig , I can hear my music during my long distance
Trip from Asia jakarta to Paris nonstop about 8 hours with my two iems above no fatigue feeling .

This is my personal experience

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 33
I think a lot of folks bought the 16 thinking it the top of the JH line when it's purpose is different and not better. I actually think the 13 is far better if your looking for an accurate listen and the 16 more for stage or fun sound use.

JH13s are very revealing of source as something that informative will be. It's actually less critical of source than some other monitor types but it's part of the genre. An amp and good rip will likely cure your misgivings and word is that an Iphone 5 is just not good at driving things. The universal versions are also always less good than their custom counterparts though the fitear may be close as it's a dedicated design. It's also reportedly easy to drive. You may have not heard the latest improved freq phase version of the JH13 either.

If it's for plane use, an amp with bass boost or a phone EQ app may help whatever you buy. Probably not absolutely needed but you will lose some low end with anything used on a plane. Less so with better isolation. Of course when in normal environments, back to flat will be preferred. Both IEMs that your looking at have plenty of bottom. I haven't heard a fitear but would recommend against the universal for this purpose as it can't isolate as well. If you go that route, buy the custom version on your China trip.

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 33
Hi rudi0504,

Thanks so much for your experience and input, it helps a lot. Which do you use more often/prefer more the UM Miracle or the Fitear Togo334?

Do you think you would you prefer the Fitear MH334 (custom version of the 334) over your UM Miracle if you had a custom fit 334?

Thanks Rudi...

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:
JH13s are very revealing of source as something that informative will be. It's actually less critical of source than some other monitor types but it's part of the genre. An amp and good rip will likely cure your misgivings. The universal versions are also always less good than their custom counterparts. You may have also not heard the latest improved freq phase version either.

If it's for plane use, an amp with bass boost or a phone EQ app may help whatever you buy. Probably not absolutely needed but you will lose some low end with anything used on a plane. Less so with better isolation. Of course when in normal environments, back to flat will be preferred. Both IEMs that your looking at have plenty of bottom. I haven't heard a fitear but would recommend against the universal for this purpose as it can't isolate as well. If you go that route, buy the custom version on your China trip.

Yep you are right the JH13 I tried was not the freqphase version. All of those factors make me believe the end-result JH13 would be very nice (better source, freqphase, and custom mold are all factors that were missing during my listening experience).

Yes I am leaning towards the Fitear 334 custom setup right now, just have to figure out how to get it. It seems so hard to get my hands on with no distributor outside of Japan, we will see... Thanks Goodvibes

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:
Just opening up your solutions, i know that the sennheiser hd 25's are known to have fantastic noise isolation.

Yes, I have considered that headphone as well... I definitely want to hear those before purchasing the IEMs for basically 8x the cost. Thanks. the one thing I have heard though is that these IEMs I am considering have an incredible sound stage because of how close they get to your ear that the Sennheiser's can't produce. Is that true? If so, I'm still leaning towards IEMs for this purpose.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #9 of 33
Three more options to consider (all of them much cheaper than JH13s :wink:):

Sennheiser Amperior
Beyerdynamic DT1350
Etymotic ER4S with custom sleeves

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 33
For flight use and the BEST isolation a silicone CIEM is probably the best way and the spiral ears 5 way seems to be a great sounding one too! I don't think my ACS T2 can live up to the sound the two in question possess. I have not hear spiral ears by the way.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 33
You are welcome Beejohn

I prefer to use ny fit ear 334 .
Fit ear 334 is my best iem collection now
It is very easy to drive and to enjoy the soundzig
It is like my lcd 2 rev 2 soundzig

It is better you test with your songs and audio rig

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 33
I own both, the TG334 and the JH13.
I'm not a big fan of the custom comfort. I feel far more comfortable with universals than customs. But everyone is different.

I get a great isolation with the TG334, maybe the best I experienced with universals IEM, but customs are still slightly better.

Coming to the sound, both are fantastic in their way: JH13 are very transparent, neutral, dynamic and have amazing speed. TG334 are warmer, have the best mids I've ever heard, a very 3D sound stage, and still highly transparent in a different way. I like both equally.

Now as I had a lot of trouble (and still have and I'm not the only one) with JH Audio's after service I would definitely not recommend doing business with those people.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 33
If I were you, I'd stick with sub 150 - 200 ish iem. My experience with portable on board of a plane is nothing short of nightmare. Left my sennheiser cx (forgot the series) and lost it, burned my tf10 on airplane headphone out, slept on my jh13 and broke the connector.

Now after all the fiasco, I've come to conclusion that the best place to enjoy ultimate SQ is frm the comfort of my home. As long as I can hv decent SQ, not bulky, blocks majority of the plane noise and can sleep with the iem on while I travel, I'm happy. Not going to chase fr the last 10-15 % of the perfection.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 33
The JH13Pro are amazing sounding CIEMs and iam sure you will hear imrovements in actual custom JH13Pro than universal version and they won't sound harsh or distorted when turn up the volume. The other IEMs like Heir Audio 8A are also recommended because there clean soundqulity even at high volume and they are very detailed with good bass response. BTW better source(dedicated DAPs) like HM-602, Sony F series walkmen, iBasso DX1000, HM-802 or iPhone with AMPs and CIEMs will improve soundquality futher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back