Best Sennheiser under $100!!!
Feb 20, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #32 of 40
As someone who tried a lot of Sennheisers in your price range (HD202, HD238, HD448, PX200-II), I can't help but recommend the PX200-II, as the bass on the HD448 is somewhat lacking. The PX200 sound like baby HD25s to my ears, with less piercing highs and a bit less isolation. Very good cans, considering just how small and practical they are. The volume control might be a deal braker for you, though.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
I came into many local stores and they all said they stop manufacturing the HD555 model and replace by the HD558!!! Do these two have any difference in sound quality?

Quote:

^^  Excuse me, but how did you come to this conclusion?  Did you hear them??  Hopefully you aren't looking at graphs to come to that conclusion.  From my listening and others there is a clear distinction.  From opening them up there is a clear construction difference as well.  If you don't hear a difference there is something wrong.  FYI, I've been the anti-Sennheiser for a long time and the 558/598 are much improved and actually enjoyable.  They made a few subtle tweaks here and there but taken together make quite a substantial difference.  

To the OP, grab a 558 which should be doable for around $120.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:

^^  Excuse me, but how did you come to this conclusion?  Did you hear them??  Hopefully you aren't looking at graphs to come to that conclusion.  From my listening and others there is a clear distinction.  From opening them up there is a clear construction difference as well.  If you don't hear a difference there is something wrong.  FYI, I've been the anti-Sennheiser for a long time and the 558/598 are much improved and actually enjoyable.  They made a few subtle tweaks here and there but taken together make quite a substantial difference.  

To the OP, grab a 558 which should be doable for around $120.

Really? hmm, I always thought that all they did was a style update. I've owned a pair of HD595s, and I've heard the new 598s briefly, and to me they sounded the same.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #35 of 40

Quote:
Really? hmm, I always thought that all they did was a style update. I've owned a pair of HD595s, and I've heard the new 598s briefly, and to me they sounded the same.

Nope, here are the construction differences.

1-1 less crossmember on the lower part of the driver frame.
2-Damper plug inserted in the center of the driver.
3-4 holes added to the rear of the driver felt.
4-Thinner paper used across the front surface of the driver frame.
5-Changes to the grills depending on model.  (558 has no grill at all)
6-Changes to the housing vents depending on model.

Not sure about any other non visible changes like the cable, etc.  Doubtful.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #36 of 40

Quote:
Nope, here are the construction differences.

1-1 less crossmember on the lower part of the driver frame.
2-Damper plug inserted in the center of the driver.
3-4 holes added to the rear of the driver felt.
4-Thinner paper used across the front surface of the driver frame.
5-Changes to the grills depending on model.  (558 has no grill at all)
6-Changes to the housing vents depending on model.

Not sure about any other non visible changes like the cable, etc.  Doubtful.

The problem might've been that I had already done the bolded to my 595s, and the difference wasn't as pronounced. Granted, I didn't like the sound of either, so that might play into it a bit.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
Hi, I'm new here and I'm a noob. I'm going to buy the first pair of high-quality headphones. Most of the time, I listen to music at my campus, library and home. I listen to Pop, Slow Rock, Rap, Hip Hop, R&B and Electronic (Taio Cruz and Lady Gaga stuffs). I'm considering PX100. Do you have any suggestions? I'm only interested in Sennheiser that under or around $100.

I think you'd love the Sennheiser IE7's and they would be just in that price range if you are willing to buy refurbished (basically like new and reconditioned from the factory). I just got my pair and I love them. Not to mention the portability and durability of these IEM's. I paid $94.00 from Adgtron (an authorized Sennheiser Dealer, so there is warranty support) on amazon.com. I paid 101.00 with expedited shipping. I am loving these ear buds. I also own the IE8's and Dennon AH-D5000s. They all are wonderful headphones. Especially since you love rock, rap, and electronic these IEM's do wonders with them. Rich bass, nice highs, mids and a large sound stage. The IE7's are in no way weak on bass, they are just right in my opinion. Their mids are more pronounced than the IE8's I think.

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #39 of 40
If you want a good pair of closed back headphones for library use/portable use. Then go for the cute little AKG K430, they are $100 and they give out (from reviews) crystal clear HIGHS/MIDS. I recommend them! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back