Best recorded albums of all time?
Sep 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #241 of 464
Man, I sure killed this thread, eh?

I feel the same way.  Quite often, actually.

biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #243 of 464
The one I mentioned is a studio album from 2003. I have "No. 2 Live Dinner" but I didn't think the recording quality was very good. It's still fun, though. I suppose there's something to be said for the sense of "ambiance" of the small venue. I haven't heard "The Live Album".

It's an overview of Keen's work for Sugar Hill, so a compilation album.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #244 of 464
The one I mentioned is a studio album from 2003. I have "No. 2 Live Dinner" but I didn't think the recording quality was very good. It's still fun, though. I suppose there's something to be said for the sense of "ambiance" of the small venue. I haven't heard "The Live Album".

Whoops, I thought it was a live album. Wikipedia says it is. I have all the albums this compilation highlights, so I won't be picking it up. I really doubt it's mastered better than the original releases. The "West Textures" and "The Live Album" CDs have no compression and the SACD of "No Kinda Dancer" and "Gringo Honeymoon" CD sound excellent.

Sep 8, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #245 of 464
Few of my choices:
DMB- live from central park
Red Hot Chili Peppers-stadium arcadium
Allman brothers - live at fillmore east
Hendrix - blues
The Stones- sticky fingers
Led zeppelin - how the west was won

Just to name a few

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #246 of 464
Stadium Arcadium is indeed a very well recorded album in terms of modern recording techniques. However, to really appreciate it, you must hear the vinyl version. The CD really suffers from the loudness wars and is compressed to elephant poop levels. Not good.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #247 of 464
Stadium Arcadium is indeed a very well recorded album in terms of modern recording techniques. However, to really appreciate it, you must hear the vinyl version. The CD really suffers from the loudness wars and is compressed to elephant poop levels. Not good.

Agreed, too bad it wasn't released in such limited copies or more people could enjoy it properly!!

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #248 of 464
In my opionion, these are some of the best albums ever made:
1. Dire Straits - Making movies
2. Dire Straits - Alchemy ( live )
3. Chic ( all albums ), some of the best bass lines I have ever heard, definitely check it out :)

Hope someone will agree with me on this one.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #249 of 464
Benny Carter - Further Definitions
This album has the most incredible ambience and air I've ever heard.  In many tracks it sounds like a binaural recording even though it's not.  The recording is clean without any background hiss unlike you sometimes get with jazz albums, the sound is buttery smooth and dynamic.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #251 of 464
My top 10 since 2000 :-

1 Indukti  - S.U.S.A.R (2004) (Main reference source for any equipment I try out) 
2 Soen - Tellurian (2014)
3 Riverside - Anno Domini (2009
4 Messenger - Illusory Blues (2014)
5 Indukti - Idmen (2009)
6 Joe Bonamassa - Dust Bowl (2011)
7 Radical Face - The Family Tree : The Roots (2011)
8 Pg. Lost - Key (2012)
9 The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2013)
10 Fink - Hard Believer  (2014)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back