Best portable amp synergy with Yuin PK1's?
May 26, 2009 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
As in title, no set budget (<US$500). Real-world experience only please.

Comparative rankings most welcome. Looking for clearly defined jumps in quality amongst models.

TIA.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 18
I really like the MiniBox-E+ w/ AD797 op-amps in place of the AD8610. A very close second would be an original SR71, but it is about twice the size of the MiniBox-E+.

If you wish to go ultra portable then the iBasso T4 would fit the bill. If you wish to use it at home for an occasional use w/ full size cans the Xin Reference using either the C5 or the D5 boards.

If interested in any of the above shoot me a PM and we may coordinate for you to listen to them in your house.

May 27, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the thoughtful posts, Miguel. I'll let you know re: your generous offer.

Any thoughts on the Portable Millett Hybrid with the PK1's? I'm trying to contact Todd to see if the loaner program is still ongoing (or can be revived).

May 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 18
I never paired those two, but the Millet Hybrid reminds me of being and dark smoky jazz club listening to a 4 piece jazz combo. Very engaging and soothing. If you plan on using it as a transportable it is fine, but it is not the best amp to go running or cycling with due to tube micro-phonics.

May 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 18
For Portable Millett I recommend OK1. This is a pair of incredible synergy, one of the best two portable pairs I know. Another is Supermicro > ER-4S.

PK1 also plays best with this amp, but they are a bit syrupy. Next synergistic amp for PK1 is XIN Supermicro IV. Then other good amps follow: Move, then Pico, then D3.

Ask EFN, he may tell you about MiniBoxE+ with PK1 in comparison to Supermicro.

May 27, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 18
My PK1 sounds great with RSA amps (P51 and SR71a). The amps give great energy, dynamic and bass for the PK1.
I didn't like the sound when pairing with the Pico, though SE530+Pico is just freakin' awesome.

May 27, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 18
The setup will serve as both a portable walkabout (no jogging or riding) rig, as well as at my office desk.

Currently under consideration & my general thoughts on each:

HR Total Airhead (inexpensive, but possibly not enough performance)
Rockhopper Mini3 (high value ratio)
Meier Porta Corda II/III ("old school", compare to 3Move?)
Meier 3Move (don't need DAC, but gain adjustment & crossfeed are good)
Minibox E+ (lots of op-amp options)
Practical Peripherals XM5 (with BU634 buffers, lots of features)
Decware ZenHead (little heard, but a few good reviews)
HR Portable Micro (big, but solid. sounds great)
TTVJ Millet Portable Hybrid (possibly too syrupy/slow w/PK1's?)
Rudistor XJ-03 (love the Rudi sig, is this one like their desktops? availability?)
RS SR-71/SR-71a (is the 71a still available new?)
iQube (great amp, but expensive. bad battery cover design)

Xin amps are out due to poor availability. Didn't like the GS Voyager I demoed a while back.

Am I missing any other biggies?

May 27, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 18
HeadAmp Pico has just beautiful synergy with PK1. Highly recommended.

I used this as a portable desk/work rig while on the road and it provided all-day enjoyment, week after week. Objectively the combination is a little on the warm side, yet although I am normally an Ety-head who loves a more analytical sound, I never found anything lacking in it at all - it 'should' have felt slow and syrupy, yet it didn't. Hard to explain.

In fact I think it probably remains my favorite work rig whenever I cannot use speakers.

May 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't like the sound when pairing with the Pico,

Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadAmp Pico has just beautiful synergy with PK1. Highly recommended.

Wow, what do I do with that? Any tie-breakers?

May 27, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 18
I think what you do is read some Lil' Knight posts and some episiarch posts and see if you get a sense of whether one of us has hearing/preferences that seem close enough to your own to be somewhat predictive. That's what I do in these situations.

May 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 18
Sure, I’ll break that tie…. With the note that we all hear so differently that it’s more just another opinion. There are no tiebreakers in audio, and there’s no crying in baseball… 8~)

The Pico and PK1 are a very, very good combination; one of the best portable/transportable combos I’ve heard with a good source (I use an iMod and lossless).

Something to keep in mind is that the PK1 is much harder to drive than the Ohm rating might indicate. It’s rated at ~150 but seems just a little easier to drive than a Senn HDxx or other 250+ Ohm can. You need a beefy amp.

I first paired the PK1 with a RSA Tomahawk, and although it sounded good+ at medium volumes, the amp/PK1 combo would distort when cranked (the later RSA amps may provide a bit more power; no experience past the t-hawk). This higher level distortion went away as soon as I plugged into the Pico.

I used the Pico/PK1 combination every day at work until the OK1 was released, which is the only reason why the PK1/Pico is in the previous best list; plus, I still own the Sensa 2XS. I won’t bore about the OK1 cause that’s not what you already own,

If it matters, I have the DAC version of the Pico. For added versatility and for day-to-day office tunes using USB and lossless/foobar, this is the perfect office rig. I think you’d be impressed. IIRC, back in the day, you and I both owned Apogees. It’s that good…..

May 27, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 18
Thanks guys.

What about the AE-2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back