Best place to buy classical music CDs cheaply?
Jul 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys
So I've been wanting to increase the size of my classical music library of CDs. Yesterday I tried making a ebay account but apparently it didn't accept my debit card :frowning2:. So I can't buy the CDs that are available on Ebay which was a huge bummer for me. My parents won't let me get a paypal either which is a problem. So where do you guys suggest I can get classical music CDs at a cheap price?

Thanks!

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 53
Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 53
+1 Local library.  Also check with school libraries (high school is hit or miss, but college has an awesome selection if they have a decent library).

Otherwise, check into local record stores who take in used CD's.  Even FYE in the mall has a (somewhat) decent selection of used disks at good prices.

Cheers

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:
+1 Local library.  Also check with school libraries (high school is hit or miss, but college has an awesome selection if they have a decent library).

Otherwise, check into local record stores who take in used CD's.  Even FYE in the mall has a (somewhat) decent selection of used disks at good prices.

Cheers

True I thought about it. But I've always had mixed opinions since I felt like it was kind of wrong. But that's a whole different debate. Thanks for the advice though!

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:
+1 and your local library as well.

+2 for amazon. For better or worse there is nothing that even comes close to the depth of their collection and to their prices. As suggested check out the "More Buying Choices" section where CDs can usually be had at 50% discount or more...

Not sure  if amazon will take your debit card but I can't see why they would not...

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 53
Quote:
+2 for amazon. For better or worse there is nothing that even comes close to the depth of their collection and to their prices. As suggested check out the "More Buying Choices" section where CDs can usually be had at 50% discount or more...

Not sure  if amazon will take your debit card but I can't see why they would not...

Yeah the used market on Amazon is a boon for the Classical music listener. Then just put them back up for sale, nice eco-system. 

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 53
Quote:
+1 and your local library as well.

Oh yea, I completely forgot about that, local LIbraries too if you have  good one near u 

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:
Used CDs at Amazon.

i bought a stack of "used"  ($0.01 to $4.99)  cds from amazon n their resellers....all came in mint condition, despited the " some user marks" remarks. 
So i am restocking my funds for the next assault. 
ksc75smile.gif

$2.66 ..think its 0.46 now..need to add postage/gulps.

Aug 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #11 of 53
Another vote for both JPC and Amazon (second-hand), I've already sent quite a fortune their way.
regular_smile .gif

With Amazon, both second-hand and new, it can also be really benificial to 'shop around' and check different Amazon sites for prices (.com, .co.uk, .fr, .ca, .de). Both prices and shipping costs can vary significantly from site to site (shipping costs also depend on where you happen to live, of course).

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:
i bought a stack of "used"  ($0.01 to $4.99)  cds from amazon n their resellers....all came in mint condition, despited the " some user marks" remarks. 
So i am restocking my funds for the next assault. 
ksc75smile.gif

Glad all of yours came mint, you will find eventually that there are good and bad sellers on Amazon... Unfortunately a lot try to pass off ex-library discs without mentioning this fact, or without grading them appropriately (if they're not in original jewel case, and if any of the art is a photocopy, you'd better damn well not try to pass it off as VG or even G!). One seller, when I left negative feedback accordingly, had the audacity to ask me to rescind my feedback because they're a Fulfillment Services seller and they 'couldn't verify that it was actually them who sold it.' Nice try. But Amazon is good about handling returns/refunds if and when the need comes up.

I will put the name of one good seller out there - I have bought many discs from Movie Mars, who sell on Amazon and on eBay, and things have always been as described, and shipped in a timely fashion. I generally check to see if they're selling what I'm looking for before moving on to other sellers...

Aug 9, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

I will put the name of one good seller out there - I have bought many discs from Movie Mars, who sell on Amazon and on eBay, and things have always been as described, and shipped in a timely fashion. I generally check to see if they're selling what I'm looking for before moving on to other sellers...

Funny that, I usually try to avoid MovieMars. They usually take a long time to ship my order and then it always seems to take the slow boat. I've had much better experience with Zoverstocks for example (another of the larger sellers). But best (in my experience) are usually the smaller professionals, like antique bookshops that do some classical cds on the side.

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Funny that, I usually try to avoid MovieMars. They usually take a long time to ship my order and then it always seems to take the slow boat. I've had much better experience with Zoverstocks for example (another of the larger sellers). But best (in my experience) are usually the smaller professionals, like antique bookshops that do some classical cds on the side.

I will also vouch for zoverstocks, never had a problem with them. Patience has never been the biggest issue when I buy, and stuff I've ordered from MM tends to come before stuff I've ordered from Amazon during the same purchase, but that is true, I would not necessarily call it a speedy process. More important to me, personally, is that I know what I'm getting condition-wise, and that has never been an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back