"Best" Piano/Classical full-sized headphones for 350$ or less?
Aug 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #46 of 71

Quote:
Keep in mind, T50p have small cups and go on ears. Comfort wise combined with a strong grip that's quite annoying or at least could be so for long term wear (I couldn't wear HD25-i for over 30m).

What do you mean by "go on ears?" Couldn't the grip lessen over time or by stretching them (i.e. fitting them on a box overnight)?

At this point, I'm quite open at the possibility of purchasing open HPs... though closed ones are nevertheless still the ultimate goal.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #47 of 71
my hd25 chewed quite a few tissue boxes when I thought I could loosen its jaws of death :D

For open HP, I liked Beyer T1 (although i still had some comfort issues with it), didn't like HD800 (too harsh, probably depends on the amp though)or LCD-2 (lows exaggerated, mids relatively recessed)/HE-5LE (eeky build quality, can't remember much else). SR-507 is pretty good though.
Haven't heard much else... Oh um, heard Grado HF-2 - that sounded like someone scratching on the board with chalk, but RS2 or was it RS1 sounded pretty nice.

Switched to electrostatics after my first few bad closed HP...So I somewhat lost interest in open HP.
Pity stax don't make any closed HP aside SR-4070.

Unfortunately I can't recommend any moderately expensive open ones, maybe someone else can help :)

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #48 of 71

Quote:
Here's my setup.

Fatar Numa Nero MIDI controller > PC > East/West Quantum Leaps Pianos sampler program > Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra > headphones.

Looking for a set of cans that'll reproduce solo piano and classical music beautifully. I also listen to solo piano and classical music a lot.

Can anybody help me decide which ones to get?

The hunt for the perfect set of cans isn't something I enjoy and I can't unfortunately try them prior to buying so I'm relying on the expertise of the members here to let me know their thoughts/experiences/comments/opinions.

Anxiously awaiting your replies! :)

*** EDIT!!! **** I've decided to buy a HP amp to expand my choices (most likely a LD MK IVSE or WA3), so don't be shy to recommend some power-hungry cans that can give me a natural, organic piano timbre. :)

I have no idea what the headphone output of the Klipsch promedia 5.1 is but I wouldn't be so sure it can drive any headphones you want.  Do you know the specs?  The point is that you want headphones that work well with your headphone output and maybe many of the ones you are considering won't work well with your headphone output.  Just my $.02 worth.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #51 of 71
svyr, have you tried the Pro-900?

no, nearly bought 780 alo a few times, but then it seems it and pro-900 will annoy me with the bass the same with D5000 did
http://x.head-fi.org/y.z?l=http%3a%2f%2fwww.head-fi.org%2fforum%2fthread%2f565943%2fmore-awful-huddler-bugs%3futm_campaign%3dsubscription%26utm_source%3dsubscription_immediate%26utm_medium%3demail%23post_7663742&r=545485254&d=40172&p=1&t=h

Too much. Even more than D5000 :D ... That said it also has a strange mids peak above 2khz and I generally find something like that around 3k-5k grating =(

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #52 of 71
For me, yes but i am not a basshead so oppinion may differ.

Cek this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/

To sum it up, you need :
- dynamat extreme
- akasa paxmate
- felt
- different earpads (better change first, the stock is not so good) , many reports it have good result with stax O2 pads while cheaper alternative are there like shure 840 and sony sa5k  earpads.

Just try to mess around and have some fun modding
wink.gif

Quote:
For the bass, does it give enough oomph so that heavy chords don't sound shallow, yet not boomy?

Which mods would be required to make them more interesting?

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #53 of 71
As a classical pianist, I heartily recommend the K701's, which can be had for under $200 on the FS forums.  They take a while to feel right, but when they do, they are very accurate.  There was a user here, I don't remember whom, that used to go on and on about hearing individual notes on a K701.  Now that I've had some time with them and a decent amp I heartily agree.  When I want to reverse engineer a jazz lick or pinpoint differences in the way different pianists play debussy, the K701 is the first phone I reach for, even before the LCD-2 or JH13.  
For classical with vocals (or opera) in that price range, I would use the HD600 like many have suggested.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #54 of 71

Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 900 is amazing with piano. Capable for classical in general it really can tell stories though a bit to much low end at times. Not perfect but the best I found for this genre at 350$ or less open and closed.

I respectfully disagree.  I know firsthand what a piano in a concert hall sounds like. and no, the pro 900 (which I will fit with certain genres) sound nothing like it.  The highs are off the lows are boosted and the S-Logic messes with the presentation.  It may make it sound "amazing" to your tastes as far as enjoyment are concerned, but most classical music listeners I know are more interested in the tonal accuracy (inasmuch as it should be reproduced as intended by the composer, conductor, and musicians who played the piece) than the fun sound that the pro 900's supply.  I have the 8 LE's on order, and if they do not do justice to my jazz and classical collection then it is time for an HD800.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #55 of 71
Aug 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #56 of 71
      Quote:
As a classical pianist, I heartily recommend the K701's, which can be had for under $200 on the FS forums.  They take a while to feel right, but when they do, they are very accurate.  There was a user here, I don't remember whom, that used to go on and on about hearing individual notes on a K701.  Now that I've had some time with them and a decent amp I heartily agree.  When I want to reverse engineer a jazz lick or pinpoint differences in the way different pianists play debussy, the K701 is the first phone I reach for, even before the LCD-2 or JH13.  
For classical with vocals (or opera) in that price range, I would use the HD600 like many have suggested.

Thanks for the wonderful reply! Which amps did you try them on? And why did you sell them? Also, surprised you're recommending the HD600s since the 800s are supposedly better for classical.

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but I clearly stated in my original post that I don't want IEMs at all! Denon is the last name I think of when somebody says "Classical." I'll look into the AKG model you suggested.

Thanks again. :)

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #57 of 71
I sold my first pair because I didn't have a proper amp for it, re-bought when I had proper amping.  I used them with a headroom airhead originally, (which was insufficient,) a Meier Aria (which was decent,) but am currently using it on a Burson Ha-160D DAC/Amp which really brings out its potential to my ears.  There are plenty of other good candidates for amping as well.  
I recommended the 600's over the 800's because of the budget you listed (350.)  You can't even get an aftermarket cable for the HD800 for that price.  The difference in quality for classical between the K701 and the HD800 is less than you'd think given the price difference between the two.  
Quote:
      Quote:

Which amps did you try them on? And why did you sell them? Also, surprised you're recommending the HD600s since the 800s are supposedly better for classical.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #58 of 71
The "Top 10" you see in this post is because Headroom rates the AH-D2000 as one of its top 10 headphones of all time.  Hate for you to miss an opportunity to listen to one of the greatest headphones.  If you have heard these before, unamped, I am not surprised you did not like them.  Amped they are one of my favorite cans.  I sold my HD-650's to get a pair and quite frankly will never miss the HD-650.  Best of luck kind listener!

Here is a direct quote from Headroom about the AH-D2000's:

top_ten_70x70.png
"Absolutely clear with extended bass and highs yet effortless and tight, the DENON AH-D2000 rate as the best (on paper) 'sealed' headphones we've measured in our lab. The D2000 are closed-back headphones delivering mild ambient isolation and are capable of true timbre with an analytically neutral, flat response that audio engineers, media professionals and audiophiles seeking uncompromised acoustics should hear."

Below is an actual customer review and his name is Brahms Fanatic so I think he would have some experience with piano music:

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #59 of 71
As with the Ultrasones, the Denon 2000's are just too bass heavy (and treble emphasized) to accurately reproduce piano music. I would focus on the 600/650's. The 600's were designed for classical producers in mind. Though, If you prefer a little more warmth and musicality then go the extra mile for the 650's. I've used them for classical music now for 6 years with numerous purchases in between (including the Denon's) nothing comes close in the same price bracket. They do need a powerful (not necessarily expensive) amp to sound there best though. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #60 of 71
Not at all my experience with the d2000's or the d5000's.  Better than comparable ultrasones to be sure, but you really don't want a sealed heaphone at all for classical music.

Quote:
The "Top 10" you see in this post is because Headroom rates the AH-D2000 as one of its top 10 headphones of all time.  Hate for you to miss an opportunity to listen to one of the greatest headphones.  If you have heard these before, unamped, I am not surprised you did not like them.  Amped they are one of my favorite cans.  I sold my HD-650's to get a pair and quite frankly will never miss the HD-650.  Best of luck kind listener!

Here is a direct quote from Headroom about the AH-D2000's:

top_ten_70x70.png
"Absolutely clear with extended bass and highs yet effortless and tight, the DENON AH-D2000 rate as the best (on paper) 'sealed' headphones we've measured in our lab. The D2000 are closed-back headphones delivering mild ambient isolation and are capable of true timbre with an analytically neutral, flat response that audio engineers, media professionals and audiophiles seeking uncompromised acoustics should hear."

Below is an actual customer review and his name is Brahms Fanatic so I think he would have some experience with piano music:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back