Best movie nobody else has ever seen...
Aug 8, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #46 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on that description, I think it was Primer. Be prepared to rewind.

Thanks for the ID. Done some googling, and I'm definitely getting this one. Forget music, this next check's going toward movies.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #47 of 59
Wow, based on the responses in this thread about Time and Tide, I guess that one wasn't as much under the radar as I originally thought.

Whoever mentioned Oldboy is right - what a disturbing movie...but despite the disturbing plot (or maybe because of it?) it was a gripping movie...

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was in a few theaters. I remember driving to some bizarre one to see it. Definitely worth seeing. Christian Bale is pretty far from being a no-name actor though.

A few of you may have heard of Christian Bale, but that is far from making him a well known actor. My mother, grandmother, and a bunch of my friends don't know who he is. My mother and grandmother go to the movies every Tuesday (dollar theater). They know all the big names. Batman Begins is arguably the biggest thing he has been in. However, I would argue that he is not a big name. Put him in a movie with Keanu Reeves and he would not get top billing.

Another movie to go see is the Red Violin. It has a lot of classical music and Samuel L. Jackson is in it. The movie follows the life of a certain "perfect" violin. Worth seeing IMO.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #49 of 59
spring, summer, fall ,winter... and spring is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.

Another one I liked is "3-iron".

They are similar in the sense that there is little to no dialogue. (and same director)

3_iron_01.jpg

but i'm pretty sure plenty of people have seen most of these movies

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few of you may have heard of Christian Bale, but that is far from making him a well known actor. My mother, grandmother, and a bunch of my friends don't know who he is. My mother and grandmother go to the movies every Tuesday (dollar theater). They know all the big names. Batman Begins is arguably the biggest thing he has been in. However, I would argue that he is not a big name. Put him in a movie with Keanu Reeves and he would not get top billing.

Didn't American Psycho get a decent amount of press when it came out? If you haven't seen that one yet, then check it out. Come to think of it, I can't think of a bad Christian Bale movie, except maybe for Harsh Times, and he was still the best part of the movie. His most recent, "Rescue Dawn" is also quite good. It was about a 35 minute drive to the theater where it was showing, but it was worth it.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #51 of 59
Hardware Wars

I laughed my a** off at the time, but now that I have it on VHS, it just seems semi-stupid. Its place as best Star Wars parody has been taken by Pink Five [viewable on Atom Films].

Laz

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another movie just came to mind. The Machinist, featuring the "no-name" actor Christian Bale.
tongue.gif
A movie that will have you questioning everything, including the fact that Bale is on screen. I think his weight was somewhere around 80-90 pounds during filming. To think he went from that to Batman weight in such a short time is amazing.

I found The Machinist mediocre at best. It was really stylish, but the plot just wasn't there for me, and I was unconvinced by Bales performance for the most part. The big twist was also pretty obvious to me. It was definitely a nice movie to look at, but insubstantial.

Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean. All the pictures show up for me. The movies I posted are, in order:

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring
He Died with a Felafel in his Hand
El Topo
Eureka
Badlands
Primer

EDIT: I just saw that someone identified it already. Well done.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 59
Tampopo (1985) (food & sex)
Safe (1996) (hypocondria)
Curse of the Cat People (1944) (childhood loneliness and imagination)
Three Colors: Blue (1993) (death and disconnetion)
Local Hero (1983) (fish out of water) / Comfort and Joy (1984) (ice cream truck mafia)

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #55 of 59
How about "The Chumscrubber"? A pretty obscure dark comedy about a bunch of families in the middle of suburbia.

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #56 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
run lola run

a movie about time contingency.

I'll second this one. Worth seeing Indie film.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #57 of 59
Definetly The American Astronaut. Still my favorite US film of the past ten years. Excellent example what you can do with a minimal budget. Special interest to head-fi'ers, since it's a musical
wink.gif
Too bad it's pretty hard to find now, the DVD has been out of print for a while now, although you might be able to get it directly from their site.
Another small scale US short film is A short film about John Bolton, directed by Neil Gaiman nonetheless.

I would class some of the films mentioned here as at least decently known, such as Oldboy, Spring, summer... and Koyaanisqatsi, but that may be because I like to watch even more obscure films and it probably is better to stick to films that people can actually get a hold of on DVD or something
tongue.gif

I'll list a few that I think have had low coverage in their own countries and/or abroad - or ones that I just think deserve to be seen:
A Stranger of Mine A very good, but less known Japanese film with no name actors
The Dish Small drama-comedy from Australia
Ritual Arthouse to the max!
Missing Pages You can view this visually interesting film online
Electric Dragon 80.000V Another film that head-fi'ers might like
basshead.gif

Mind Game Wild animation
Sons Fantastic Singaporean short film
Angel's Egg Arthouse(ish) animation
Yûkoku Starring and directed by Yukio Mishima

... and many more! There's a huge selection of obscure films around the world and I enjoy finding them as much as finding a band or a piece of good music.

Aug 8, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #58 of 59
Battle Royale

Watch. It.

Never released in US threaters....but is on DVD and YouTube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back