Best Logitech Computer Speakers?
Jul 27, 2008 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrading my computer speakers...I have some creative speakers I bought at best buy years ago...think its time to look at getting better speakers..and i have read a lot of good things about logitech. any suggestions?

Jul 27, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 21
Well the Logitech Z-2300 get really good reviews on a lot of the tech sites. With that said they don't get much love here. I just ordered a set on friday so I will report once I get them. Mine are going to be primarily for movie watching. There is also the Kilpsch Pro Media in the same price range. Both are 2.1 systems. Let us no what you get and how you like them. I'm curious myself.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 21
I have the logitech z-2300's and I think they are fine. The audio coming from the two speakers is good, my hd555's can produce better sound quality though. The subwoofer on the logitech is huge, it weighs about 50 pounds and your going to have a hard time finding a place to put it if you have little space already. I can say one thing, the movie watching experience on these speakers are amazing. This set-up gives you these bone vibrating explosions and such, something you definitely won't experience from headphones. Also the speakers are great for entertaining guests, I never turn my volume more than half way and if I tried to max out the volume I would probably go deaf and have the cops at my house. Hope that helps with your decision.

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 21
Z2300 is nice 2.1 system, z5300 is a nice 5.1 (I actually installed these with a $200 old Dell refurbished PC as home theater running off Audigy2ZS for my parents - outperforms any system way above it's price).

What's your pricerange?
Any reason you're going with Logitech?
Is this for games or movies or music?

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Z2300 is nice 2.1 system, z5300 is a nice 5.1 (I actually installed these with a $200 old Dell refurbished PC as home theater running off Audigy2ZS for my parents - outperforms any system way above it's price).

What's your pricerange?
Any reason you're going with Logitech?
Is this for games or movies or music?

pricerange: $200

read so much about their z2300 figured it was a good bet...but if theres something better thats in my price range i will do it
music

Jul 28, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what are you using them for and what soundcard / DAC do you use?

using on board sound..recently built a new comp as in just this week...use pico connected to a GS-1...but sometimes I go into periods where I like to listen to music on speakers and give the headphones a rest.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 21
Just one:

Logitech Z-5500. pretty serious PC speakers

2411.1.0.jpg

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 21
Z-5500s are pretty decent and if you look around on slickdeals (newegg might still have it going), they were $175 shipped not too long ago.

Being a speaker freak, I've got a few issues with it, but for movies/gaming and general music listening, they're not bad.

You should really pick up an actual audio card, even if it's just an old Audigy2. Hell, I think some of the new X-Fi cards are selling for like $50 now.

Jul 29, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audioengine A2 Desktop Speakers
this is said to be superior than any of Logitech speakers. Search the forum, fits your 200 dollar limit too.

+1 on this. I recently purchased the A2 speakers and they really are something else, especially for the size. I tried to go back to my Logitechs but the highs and mids sounded lifeless and hollow, and the bass bloated and imprecise compared to the A2's.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Tso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1 on this. I recently purchased the A2 speakers and they really are something else, especially for the size. I tried to go back to my Logitechs but the highs and mids sounded lifeless and hollow, and the bass bloated and imprecise compared to the A2's.

I really have to EQ the piss out of the Z-5500s to get metal to sound decent, especially the highs. The mids aren't so horrible, but when it comes to speakers, you'll never really get great mids and midbass out of small drivers. Least to my ears.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 21
I have the Logitech Z-5500's. They can be had for cheap on amazon and other online sites. The Z-5500's are AWESOME. For me, they were an upgrade from the Logitech Z-680's (my remote broke after several years). The Z-5500's have the power of the Z-680's, but a much deeper and finer controlled subwoofer.

The Z-5500's take six channel analog input, DD, DTS, LPCM via Coax or Optical, and have a headphone jack on the side (not very powerful for headphones, though). The DAC on teh Z-5500 is actually quite impressive. I have never heard a better sub-$1000 5.1 system (PC or home AV), and the Logitech Z-5500's only cost about $200!!!

One caveat: Logitech customer support is TERRIBLE, awful, insulting, and straight up evil.
mad.gif
Damn them!!! Also, the head units on occasion lock up and you have to power off the system (unplug it or use the switch on the back of the sub). This happens every few weeks or so.

As you can see, I strongly recommend them despite these issues because they honestly sound incredible for the price. I use them for blu-ray and DVD movies, and CD audio.

YMMV.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 21
I have a whole set of a z-5300e model (most current revision) just sleeping in my room. PM me if you're interested, ZepFloyd.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back