Best iems under 150!
Sep 18, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 39
The e-Q5 is better than both imo.  They have the detail of the R-50 with more bass, larger soundstage and a more dynamic sound because of the moving armature.  The Heaven IV has the same or even a little bit more bass impact but the e-Q5 has a bit more over all detail and a livelier more engaging sound imo.

Musica Acoustic has the e-Q5 for $198.99 with free shipping but you can find a used pair here in the for sale section for around $160.  I listen to the same music you do and the e-Q5 sounds great with both rock and electronic.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #18 of 39
Thank you for the recommendation! I currently think that I may have to push the budget up a little more since the better options are more expensive. I guess this is why audiophilia is so expensive. Thanks for the input!

I think that is totally untrue (having to spend more money) I recommend you decide on the attributes you are looking for as no one has even asked you to describe it much except for the kind of music you like. Then check what your options are. There are IEMS that cost less than 50 bucks that you more than likely will be happy with. Especially if you are upgrading from apple stock buds for example almost anything in-ear is going to sound better.

It irritates me when people equate money with good sound. It does not always go hand in hand... just ask the bose corp.

Not trying to negate any of the recommendations given. Just pointing out that $$$ don't euqal good :notes::notes::notes:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625124/over-performing-over-achieving-headphones-iems-for-their-price-range-top-cost-effective-cans-iems

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 39
True that more money doesn't always mean better but I've never heard a $50 IEM that can compete with a $200 one.  When you get up into the $200 to say $400 range its more about preference than pure sound quality.  When someone is looking to spend $150 or $200 why suggest a $50 IEM when there are IEM's in the price range that the person's willing to spend that will sound so much better.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 39
I would ALWAYS recommend a less expensive IEM while someone is really searching out their preferred signature. I could tell him the TF 10's which I obviously like because I own them but after 2 weeks when he realized he is a basshead he's gunna regret the purchase.

People buying their first IEMs often don't get the perfect one right off the bat... look at all of us crazy people on here with more headphones/iems then there are hours in the day to listen to them....

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #21 of 39
Most human(s) psyche believe that there is always something better.  Whether that be sound quality, automobiles...any and everything.  At some point, hopefully before bankruptcy, a person may learn to be satisfied with what they have.

As for cost, two words; deminishing returns.  Because you choose to purchase an audio product that is 100% more money, does not equate to double the sound quality, in fact, the more money spent the smaller the gain in SQ.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #22 of 39
Techno kid, the DBA-02 MKII is much better than the R50, better bass, better balance, not harsh, more comfortable and better built.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #23 of 39
Thank you for the nice link. I am not a total noob! I know that I am not a basshead, I would just like the bass to be tight and not as overpowering as some other headphones. I know that the mids are very important since I listen to a lot of rock, and I also know that the treable is important. This being said, I would like a headphone that reproduces good, accurate sound with a balanced sound signature (maybe) that I can find for under 200.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #24 of 39
Thank you for the nice link. I am not a total noob! I know that I am not a basshead, I would just like the bass to be tight and not as overpowering as some other headphones. I know that the mids are very important since I listen to a lot of rock, and I also know that the treable is important. This being said, I would like a headphone that reproduces good, accurate sound with a balanced sound signature (maybe) that I can find for under 200.

GR07 MK2 would be well worth your time looking into.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:
Techno kid, the DBA-02 MKII is much better than the R50, better bass, better balance, not harsh, more comfortable and better built.

Now that's the MKI I'm talking about but from reading jokers review of the MKII they don't sound like they're that much different plus the R-50 is around $60 to $80 cheaper than the MKII with almost the same sound signature.  I wouldn't call the DBA-02, B2 or GR01 (I've heard them all) much better than the R-50 at all considering they all sound very similar to each other.

The e-Q5 is better than all of those imo and that's what I would recommend the OP getting but everyone has different views on how IEM's sound and that's what makes the debating about them fun.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #27 of 39
Yes I agree that's what's fun.

But I didnt find the MKII fatiguing or harsh like people described the MKI.

So I think there are differences, I sold the R50 as soon as I got the DBA-02 MKII as it sounded more natural, less harsh and better balanced.

Sep 19, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #28 of 39
How does the gro7 compare witth the e-Q5 or the dba-02 or the tf10?

I've only heard TF10 out of those three, which has a V signature, as you can see V is quite a distance away from balanced ---- . They're quite good for electronic music, techno, rock and metal because BA drivers have excellent speed. Though I would rate them in the "fun" category over GR07 MK2. I don't really think you could go wrong with either because while the signatures are different they're both equally as good imo. TF10 have like a metallic lacing over the signature whereas GR07 are 'super natural', so to speak. :smile:

TF10 for me can become tiring easily, I find them good for a quick blast of insane clarity, instrument separation and treble extension, though for long term listening I prefer the natural presence of GR07 which at higher volumes becomes thin. So....you have trade off's for each.

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #30 of 39
I recently sold my TF10 after getting the e-Q5 (I was going to sale them anyway) and I used them a lot, they were one of my favorites.  The TF10 is better than the GR07 for electronic music hands down, they are very fun to listen to with things like trance and progressive but all forms of electronic music sound good on them.  The GR07 would be better for the rock music with its more monitor like sound signature and smooth detailed mids.

I still think the e-Q5 has a better over all balanced sound and works well with every type of music I've thrown at them.  Electronic music sounds good with the dynamic sounding bass along with the detailed mids that bring out the melody and other sounds and the highs have nice sparkle to them without the harshness.  For rock the mids sound great as they're not really forward but they do standout but not over shadowing the treble and bass at all.  One thing that really sets the e-Q5 apart from the others is the soundstage, it might not be quite as wide as the TF10 or GR07 but they're not far behind and I think the e-Q5 has a more well rounded and airy soundstage than the others especially over the GR07 which doesn't portray depth very well at all and the imaging and instrument separation is just as good as the others also.  

Well good luck on finding the IEM that best fits your needs because the $150 to $200 price point is tuff as there's quite a few IEM's in that price range that sound really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back