Best headphones for J-rock / J-pop (anisongs)
Sep 26, 2012 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

carlove

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I'm in search of headphones somewhere in the price range from 0 - 200 dollar/euro. (I'm Dutch).

I mostly listen to Japanese music, bands like: The Kiddie, Nico touches the walls, LiSa, Fripside, Sid, Spyair, Miwa, One ok rock, Supercell, Yui, Nagi Yanagi, Mami Kawada, rookiez is punk'd and uverworld.
But I also listen to English bands like Muse, Dead by april, and anything that sounds good to my ears! 
So I'm searching for headphones that will do great with all these types of music. Most instruments used are: guitar, piano, drum, bass, electronic, accoustic and vocals and a bit of techno ? (dead by april)
I'm looking for headphones that will make me feel like they're playing live infront/besides me. And I would appreciate if the bass weren't that present. 
Or well, balanced headphones. I have had multiple headphones like the Bose AE2, sennheiser HD 205, Shure SRH750DJ and the Monster turbine pro earplugs. But they were all too bassy, except for the Bose AE2 it sounded very wonderful, but I sold it 'cause I heard Bose is overpriced and you could get much more for the same amount of money.
But I guess I do like a punchy bass, but it should only be present when the artist(s) originally wanted it to be.

I've already searched many threads but couldn't get any answers.
Is it true that the Audio-technica's ATH M50 has a lot of bass?

I'd like the perfect headphones for these genres of possible! Can anyone help me?

Cheers!

Edit: Also, a headphone that isolates music greatly, I don't wanna annoy people with my music and I don't wanna hear sounds around me when I'm trying to listen to mine on a low/medium volume.

Oh the demands.. quite sorry!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 41
Quote:
Hello, I'm in search of headphones somewhere in the price range from 0 - 200 dollar/euro. (I'm Dutch).

I mostly listen to Japanese music, bands like: The Kiddie, Nico touches the walls, LiSa, Fripside, Sid, Spyair, Miwa, One ok rock, Supercell, Yui, Nagi Yanagi, Mami Kawada, rookiez is punk'd and uverworld.
But I also listen to English bands like Muse, Dead by april, and anything that sounds good to my ears! 
So I'm searching for headphones that will do great with all these types of music. Most instruments used are: guitar, piano, drum, bass, electronic, accoustic and vocals and a bit of techno ? (dead by april)
I'm looking for headphones that will make me feel like they're playing live infront/besides me. And I would appreciate if the bass weren't that present. 
Or well, balanced headphones. I have had multiple headphones like the Bose AE2, sennheiser HD 205, Shure SRH750DJ and the Monster turbine pro earplugs. But they were all too bassy, except for the Bose AE2 it sounded very wonderful, but I sold it 'cause I heard Bose is overpriced and you could get much more for the same amount of money.
But I guess I do like a punchy bass, but it should only be present when the artist(s) originally wanted it to be.

I've already searched many threads but couldn't get any answers.
Is it true that the Audio-technica's ATH M50 has a lot of bass?

I'd like the perfect headphones for these genres of possible! Can anyone help me?

Cheers!

Edit: Also, a headphone that isolates music greatly, I don't wanna annoy people with my music and I don't wanna hear sounds around me when I'm trying to listen to mine on a low/medium volume.

Oh the demands.. quite sorry!

I almost got the recommendation until you said you don't like present bass. Because the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's were almost it.

Yes the M50 has a lot of bass. I didn't have enough time to compare it with DT770 Pro 80 Ohms amount though.

Ultrasone HFI 580/780 

They are a bit fatiguing but have much better bass responce and what not.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 41
Haha, thank you for your reply.

I don't enjoy the bass (guitar) too much, no. No idea why, it seems like I'm the only one around though, haha.

Do you know anything about the 680 as well? 

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:
Haha, thank you for your reply.

I don't enjoy the bass (guitar) too much, no. No idea why, it seems like I'm the only one around though, haha.

Do you know anything about the 680 as well? 

The bass guitar isn't always in the low frequency section although it rely's on the low frequency ranges quantity, quality and extention and other factors to make it sound amazing. I don't listen to much rock that includes very present bass guitars so I can't tell you but overall the DT770 Pro or Ultrasone's shouldn't be a problem

No idea on 680. I have 580. Higher numbers DO NOT MEAN BETTER.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 41
Ah I see. Yeah, I just now read something about the 580 having better bass but 780 better sound quality overall. 
But you don't own a 780 do you? I'm really unfamiliar with Ultrasone. How good is the price/quality of it?
I'm reading very positive reviews about the 780.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:
Ah I see. Yeah, I just now read something about the 580 having better bass but 780 better sound quality overall. 
But you don't own a 780 do you? I'm really unfamiliar with Ultrasone. How good is the price/quality of it?
I'm reading very positive reviews about the 780.

I do not.

It depends on what you are looking for, I am a fan of Jpop and Jrock as well and also various other types of songs.

I personally prefer the slight bass punch the HFI 580 gives off. Jpop and Jrock tend to need a little bit of bass to get it going and sounding good in my opinion. I am part of the Official HEad-Fi Anime/Asian Music or discussion thread. Link of which is in my signature. One of our regulars linked your post to our thread.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 41
Ah I see, yeah, I just now found the new anime releases on it, as I replied '' SO MUCH WIN''

Uhm, Yeah, galileo galilei does need bass to pull off their songs.
I like the designs of those Ultrasones. I might get them when my Shure is sold.
The 780's are 200 bucks here. But I'll first further investigate those two before making a decision. 

I hope they're good headphones, I'll get back to you when I have them!

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:
Ah I see, yeah, I just now found the new anime releases on it, as I replied '' SO MUCH WIN''

Uhm, Yeah, galileo galilei does need bass to pull off their songs.
I like the designs of those Ultrasones. I might get them when my Shure is sold.
The 780's are 200 bucks here. But I'll first further investigate those two before making a decision. 

I hope they're good headphones, I'll get back to you when I have them!

Some of our members like that band, I have their songs but never listened to them or can find them anymore.

I like the bass on the 580's as being just enough. I like a various amount of jpop and jrock artists, although I am more in pop.

For example
Larcenciel
TM Revolution
Yui
Angela Aki
Perfume
Ayumi Hamasaki
BoA
Koda Kumi
Utada Hikaru
aiko
Stephanie
Yanagi NAgi
PSY
Girls Generation 
2NE1
ALAN
AKB48
CLARiS
LiSA
Nightmare

and many more

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:
Some of our members like that band, I have their songs but never listened to them or can find them anymore.

I like the bass on the 580's as being just enough. I like a various amount of jpop and jrock artists, although I am more in pop.

For example
Larcenciel
TM Revolution
Yui
Angela Aki
Perfume
Ayumi Hamasaki
BoA
Koda Kumi
Utada Hikaru
aiko
Stephanie
Yanagi NAgi
PSY
Girls Generation 
2NE1
ALAN
AKB48
CLARiS
LiSA
Nightmare

and many more

Ahh, that'll be fine then! I listen to most of those as well. Though, some are new to me. Sigh, I have the luxury of owning a iPhone 16GB. Limited space is limited. 
I do have a laptop so no worries in my library. 6gb in 720 songs. I should swap in the 1411 kbps songs in for 320 kbps? (only 30 of em are) i wont notice the difference anyhow, will i?

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:
Ahh, that'll be fine then! I listen to most of those as well. Though, some are new to me. Sigh, I have the luxury of owning a iPhone 16GB. Limited space is limited. 
I do have a laptop so no worries in my library. 6gb in 720 songs. I should swap in the 1411 kbps songs in for 320 kbps? (only 30 of em are) i wont notice the difference anyhow, will i?

I really like the HFI 580 for them. They are $118...and if you want, you can even see on getting yourself an O2 form Project H our anime thread is doing, its up to our regular mad scientist Borisu if he wants to build an extra cheap O2.

You won't......seriously. Encode them properly and use LAME MP3 VBR v0, this sounds to most exactly the same as MP3 320kbps and saves you another extra 25%. I did a blind test and could tell which A went to which one but not which one was FLAC or MP3..just the difference and matching them up.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:
I really like the HFI 580 for them. They are $118...and if you want, you can even see on getting yourself an O2 form Project H our anime thread is doing, its up to our regular mad scientist Borisu if he wants to build an extra cheap O2.

You won't......seriously. Encode them properly and use LAME MP3 VBR v0, this sounds to most exactly the same as MP3 320kbps and saves you another extra 25%. I did a blind test and could tell which A went to which one but not which one was FLAC or MP3..just the difference and matching them up.

Ah okay, thanks for the tip! 

What's an O2? I'm interested.
Yeah, I like the price of the HFI580. 120 euro here or something.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #13 of 41
Ah, an amp! I've always wanted to try one of those, sadly they're so expensive.. 

An O2 is a homemade amp for much less money eh.. how could he build that for me anyhow? Since I'm all the way here in le Netherlands.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:
Ah, an amp! I've always wanted to try one of those, sadly they're so expensive.. 

An O2 is a homemade amp for much less money eh.. how could he build that for me anyhow? Since I'm all the way here in le Netherlands.

Quote:
Ah okay, thanks for the tip! 

What's an O2? I'm interested.
Yeah, I like the price of the HFI580. 120 euro here or something.

The O2 is not always homemade, many buy it. Buying it in US or international is about $150 not including shipping or any of that.

NETHERLANDS!?? seriously!?? Dude..JOIN THE DUTCH MEET. one of our super regulars is organizing a massive netherlands meet where awesome headphones will be there! You can go and decide on everything!!!

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:
The O2 is not always homemade, many buy it. Buying it in US or international is about $150 not including shipping or any of that.

NETHERLANDS!?? seriously!?? Dude..JOIN THE DUTCH MEET. one of our super regulars is organizing a massive netherlands meet where awesome headphones will be there! You can go and decide on everything!!!

Hahahahah, I feel like a total newb.. 

Where is this Dutch meet? Where where where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back