Best headphones for electronic music (trance, progressive)?
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #16 of 58
Cleaner sound is good and bad.  2004/2005 and earlier, you want something that isn't super clean.  2005 and beyond you want something cleaner sounding.  So where is the middle ground lol? 

Also, are open air headphones like the LCD-2 good for trance?  I read in a few places that closed models are much better.

The DT990 (especially the Pros, since they have a noticeable jump in mid bass impact over the Premiums) and HE-4 are the two open headphones I would easily suggest for EDM like trance. The HE-4 needs a power plant (like the Lyr) to power properly though.

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 58
thanks for some of these recommendations.  don't wanna sound to pretentious but was wanting to venture into the high hundreds low thousand for a pair of headphones, unless of course these 300-400 headphones just blow thousand dollar headphones out of the water.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 58
thing is that most of the high end setups wont give you the bass response you need for edm as far as i know. usually closed headphones provide that experience and most of the thousand bucks headphones are open semiopen leading to better soundstage, airy lovely sound but weaker bass... but of course i haven't tried then... someone could chime in and tell it how it is...

sorry for the syntax, my phone is misbehaving

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #19 of 58
With your budget and based on your preference for electronic, I would say the LCD-2s are definitely the safest bet. With electronic music, Audeze seems to have the right house sound. Vocals sound fantastically natural. The bass impact is high but not bloated like closed headphones have a tendency to be (if u start comparing the very top cans, some will say it's bloated though). Also, the fact that is it open is a good thing IMO. It feels more like you're in a club ("being there"). They are, however, not portable, even though the case Audeze offers makes it very tempting to carry them around.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 58
Jan 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #21 of 58

Quote:
I would also look into the HD-650s. They are, after all, Sennheiser's former flagship. I haven't spent as much time with them, but the 580/600s do not disappoint with electronic music for me, and the 650s are a little south of neutral which could be better for electronic.

I'm pretty much a noob but I had my HD 650 for some time now and I would not recommend them for electronic music. Their laid-back sound just... doesn't tickle the ears, if you know what I mean.
Great for many types of music, but not for trance.

EDIT: Aaaand I totally missed there was a second page already. I should go to bed :wink:

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #22 of 58

Quote:
Weak bass shouldn't even be considered for the LCD-2s. They have enough to knock your socks off. And it's very textured. It just dawned on me though, OP, what do you have as far as an amp and/or DAC? They can be driven okay by most things, but if you want to get really fancy, Red Wine Audio has an Audeze edition amp w/ a pair of LCD-2s and a balanced ALO cable for only $4,900.

You know you're an audiophile when you say "only $4,900". 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 58

Quote:
You know you're an audiophile when you say "only $4,900". 
biggrin.gif

It was intended sarcastically, but I know there's people here on Head-Fi who would probably say that in all seriousness.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #24 of 58

Quote:
Weak bass shouldn't even be considered for the LCD-2s. They have enough to knock your socks off. And it's very textured. It just dawned on me though, OP, what do you have as far as an amp and/or DAC? They can be driven okay by most things, but if you want to get really fancy, Red Wine Audio has an Audeze edition amp w/ a pair of LCD-2s and a balanced ALO cable for only $4,900.

yeah i saw those.  one day i'll be able to go ball to the wall and drop that much, but i don't have the funds to do that yet : /

any recommendation on an amp that will suit the se535's and LCD-2s?

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #26 of 58
listening to this on my lcd-2

at full volume, the lcd-2 start shaking!!! 
these things bump!!!

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

May 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #27 of 58
I'm on the same boat here with the same music preference (electronica, trance, dubstep, vocal trance, progressive, uplifting etc.). I'm stuck between Hifiman HE-500 and Audeze LCD-2.

May 18, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #28 of 58
Awww, no love for the ATH-M50 for electronic dance music? I think they're wonderful. Although, this is coming from someone who has never heard the Ultrasones, or LCD-2 or 3 or whatever. Way out of my price range. Any headphone over 200 bucks is really out of my budget.

May 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #29 of 58
I had the DT 990 before. And it was OK for electronic music. But in my opinion a little to shallow and trance sounded lifeless. There was nothing wrong with the bass and treble department. But the mids... It did sound just "technially good", but there was no real connection to trance music. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #30 of 58
Almost a year later, but I got the opportunity to audition the LCD-2 at a local store, using some super expensive amp.  Meh, clarity was amazing, but still not worth $1000.  Having never owned full-sized cans, only 535's & 16 pros, maybe I'm just expecting too much.  I like nice, tight, robust bass; lush, forward mids, and unoffensive treble/highs.  Open-back cans just make no sense to me, not for someone into electronic.  I just don't feel like exceptional soundstage and airiness really have a huge part to play in electronic music.  Definition, clarity, highly precise low-end, & the ability to not muddle everything together, those are the important things for electronic music.

Having said all this any new suggestions?  I'll up the antee to $2500 for headphones & an amp.  Also, these don't have to be portable, would be nice but they certainly don't have to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back