Best headphones for bass under $200 buyers guide UPDATED
Nov 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #137 of 272

Hey guys thats cheating you called in Armaegis haha. On a serious note though they are still available for 109 dollars (no tax unless you live in NJ and free shipping if you buy something else for 10 bucks) from the sound professionals I just checked right now.  I have tried both headphones you mentioned there and own the Q40's. I would say that the Q40's come the closest in terms of bang for the buck, and while i like them a lot, I feel that they just aren't there in terms of build quality and value. The shure 840's are almost 50% more than the M50's so I don't think it's fair to compare them.

Quote:

To be fair, it should be more like $150 since that seems to be the going rate for the M50 these days.

I would consider the Shure 840 and M-Audio Q40 to have better soundstage than the M50, and in the same league bass-wise (a bit more body from the other two, though not as impact)

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #138 of 272

Quote:
While admirable for 30 bucks the HTF600's are in a different and much lower league. The M50's are studio monitors and are very neutral, you have to EQ the bass up. When you do so there is no comparison. They start sounding like the Pro700 MK2, which I personally love but I feel like you're paying an extra 50 bucks for nothing. I stated on the first page that although not everyone likes that v shaped sound and boosted heavy bass that is what this thread is all about.

no.

the bass on the M50 is already emphasized as it is, you dont need to EQ the bass up even further. That would make it even more un-neutral. 

also, where are you finding a $110 M50? everywhere ive looked for months even after i bought it always shows $159.99 new and some used for $135.00.

Its gone up in price and stayed there. 

I think what he was trying to say is that price to performance ratio the HTF600's hit a bit harder for their weight group. 

Who knows, maybe they have less recessed mids than the M50, that sure wouldn't be hard to achieve ;/

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #139 of 272
Thats not what I said but even if I did this whole guide is full of my personal opinions and I am by no means an authority on anything.

Quote:

"The M50's are studio monitors and are very neutral..."

Let me tell you, the M50s are NOT NEUTRAL AT ALL!!!
I don't know why people say this about them! Maybe they're just comparing headphones
and haven't actually listened to studio monitors...

I found them warm with good highs and veiled mids being a good performer for EDM, dub, etc.
but boring for vocals, classical, blues, etc.
I also found the soundstage a bit lacking, though 'Ok' for being a closed can.

I know you mentioned: "but for less than 120 bucks nothing can touch them I don't care what anyone says."
with an attitude like that, how can people find good sound and soundstage in cheap headphones listed
on the first page if you are basically saying: "Screw the list I made and just get the M50s!"

I think you should care....

Thanks. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #140 of 272

Quote:

Hey guys thats cheating you called in Armaegis haha. On a serious note though they are still available for 109 dollars (no tax unless you live in NJ and free shipping if you buy something else for 10 bucks) from the sound professionals I just checked right now.  I have tried both headphones you mentioned there and own the Q40's. I would say that the Q40's come the closest in terms of bang for the buck, and while i like them a lot, I feel that they just aren't there in terms of build quality and value. The shure 840's are almost 50% more than the M50's so I don't think it's fair to compare them.

I mostly just go by the Amazon price history. If you're comparing sale prices, then the Shure 840 can be had for $130. At the moment, the M50 is $160 and 840 is $150.

I used to have the 840/M50/Q40 all at once and even wrote a review comparing them a while back (link in my profile). Just my opinions though. I wish I had a chance to try the Q40 with Beyer pads. 

Quote:
I think what he was trying to say is that price to performance ratio the HTF600's hit a bit harder for their weight group. 

In this silly audiophile world of ours, it's all diminishing returns beyond your basic ibuds. My budget/cognitive dissonance point is roughly equal to half my mortgage payments. Beyond that and I start getting twitchy (like I either shy away or decide "oh hell with it, go big or go home!" except then I wouldn't be able to afford said home, so the former usually wins 
biggrin.gif

)

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #141 of 272
This is no sale lol, they have had the M50's for 109 bucks for at least the past year and they have highly rated customer service. would you like a link to their store and customer reviews?

Quote:
I mostly just go by the Amazon price history. If you're comparing sale prices, then the Shure 840 can be had for $130. At the moment, the M50 is $160 and 840 is $150.

I used to have the 840/M50/Q40 all at once and even wrote a review comparing them a while back (link in my profile). Just my opinions though. I wish I had a chance to try the Q40 with Beyer pads. 

In this silly audiophile world of ours, it's all diminishing returns beyond your basic ibuds. My budget/cognitive dissonance point is roughly equal to half my mortgage payments. Beyond that and I start getting twitchy (like I either shy away or decide "oh hell with it, go big or go home!" except then I wouldn't be able to afford said home, so the former usually wins 
biggrin.gif

)

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #142 of 272
Nov 8, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #143 of 272
Eh, tomatoe tomahto, I still call that a sale. Either way, the price differences aren't huge between it and the Q40 and the 840. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #144 of 272
Well in europe / my country price is more like following and been like this all the time:

M-Audio Q40: 100€  (compare $120 US street price)

M50: 140€ ...

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #146 of 272
*shrug* I'm just saying, the norm everywhere else seems to be $140-160. The 840 can be had for $130. The Q40 is around the same, and as RPGWIZARD mentioned the European prices are quite different with the M50 being expensive (and Shure is generally expensive there too) and the Q40 cheap.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #148 of 272

Quote:

I'd like 1 person in this thread to find me a pair of headphones with as much bass and a better soundstage than the M50's for less than 110 bucks

Found one. Fischer Audio FA-011.

More bass, far better sound stage (not hard to achieve in comparison to the m50), and I'm picking one up practically non-used for $90 bucks. 

And they are open back and extremely sexy :)

Nov 18, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #149 of 272

Quote:

I'd like 1 person in this thread to find me a pair of headphones with as much bass and a better soundstage than the M50's for less than 110 bucks

XB700, HFI-580*the M50 are not 110*,  CAL. just the three I have owned and compared to those wretched m50's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back