best headphones for $80 or less
Oct 5, 2006 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Matto23

New Head-Fier
they will be used for an iPod, usually on flights or bus trips. i'm looking for the best sound quality possible. i listen to reggae, acid jazz, indie rock, world music, basically anything. please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 27
I'd suggest AKG K81 DJ for a closed headphone, and Grado SR60 for an open alternative. Closed would work much much better for bus and plane rides, since it would cancel a bit of noise.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 27
Hmmm, another vote for K81DJ. Also, if you don't mind the large size, the HD 280 Pro are a good choice too.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 27
K81DJ SR-60...Damn at this rate we will have like 1000 threads from 30$ to 1000$ headphones. I can't understand a person willing to spend 80$ but not as far as 100$
blink.gif

haha just jocking, it's hard to use this damn search fonction sometime, hope you'll like what you'll be hearing soon
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 27
If your primary use if on buses and airplanes, I suspect that you want something that (1) cuts out at least some outside noise, and (2) doesn't annoy those sitting around you.

So you should be looking at either an inexpensive inner-ear-monitor (IEM) if you really want to be discreet (Sennheiser CX-300, or low end Shures or Etys if you are willing to stretch your budget a bit) or a closed phone if you don't mind lugging a full-size set of cans (I'm sure others can provide some sub-$80 suggestions).

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 27
Sennheiser PX100??
eggosmile.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by reivaj
hd280 is 68 dollars... maybe thats a good choice lol

IMHO, the HD280s are TOTALLY lifeless out of an average portable. An alternative to that would be the MDR-7506/V6, but I'm not a big fan of those either. I've never heard the K81DJ, but from most peoples description it sounds like a FANTASTIC phone to go portable with.

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #12 of 27
I agree that SR60 and PX100 are some of the best sub-$80 headphones around, but have some of you guys read the original post? OP needs closed cans.

Last year, I found myself on a two hour flight with only the PX100. PX100 is unusable with the noise of jet engines roaring through the plane.

Oct 5, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 27
This may seem like an odd recommendation, but in all honesty I'd go with a pair of KSC-75 for the time being (about $15 shipped), and save up until you can afford something in the $150-$200 price range.

There are a lot of good choices at that price level that are likely to give you more long term satisfation. You could then hang on to the KSC-75 and still use them when going to the gym to workout or whatever (i.e., your "beater" pair of headphones).

I've just never been very content with the 'usual suspect' types of cans in the <$100 price range. The SR-60's and HD280's, as examples, are "nice" for a while but they really don't grab me and pull me into the music.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
This may seem like an odd recommendation, but in all honesty I'd go with a pair of KSC-75 for the time being (about $15 shipped), and save up until you can afford something in the $150-$200 price range.

There are a lot of good choices at that price level that are likely to give you more long term satisfation. You could then hang on to the KSC-75 and still use them when going to the gym to workout or whatever (i.e., your "beater" pair of headphones).

I've just never been very content with the 'usual suspect' types of cans in the <$100 price range. The SR-60's and HD280's, as examples, are "nice" for a while but they really don't grab me and pull me into the music.

This makes perfect sense. Good advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back