Best desk top audio rack for headphone DAC and Amps?
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

AlanHell

500+ Head-Fier
I am coming back to head-fi recently, and wanted move my headphone gears from my speaker room to my computers desk. I also have a Materix Saber X pro comming soon, so I really need a mutli-level desktop shelf to organized the space better.

Most of the rack I can find on amazon or ebay is either too big (floor standing one with vibration damper), or too technical looking (full metal rack with 19" mounting holes).
Does any one have any good recommendations? I do not think I will need any vibration isolation as it is just for headphones. Any thing that is not over $500 will be acceptable for me.

This is the space I have
WeChat Image_20200216120126.jpg

And this is the additional stuff I am moving to my desk:
WeChat Image_20200216120104.jpg

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 18
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 18
I was totally unable to find a set of desktop shelves like I think you are asking about. In the end I bought a glass monitor shelf that's three feet long. It allow me to get two rows of components on my desk instead of one. I am not completely happy with it but it is much better than the total chaos I had before.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sho...e-no-old-pictures-please.529140/post-15455403
This is indeed what I have looked at before as well. I find some of the monitor stand seems to fit OK, but often have cheap fit and finishes. Yours acually looks nice, is the glass tempered?

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 18
This is indeed what I have looked at before as well. I find some of the monitor stand seems to fit OK, but often have cheap fit and finishes. Yours acually looks nice, is the glass tempered?

Yes, it's tempered. It's sold here as a house brand but I think I saw the same thing online under several brands. I'm really sorry I can't remember which but I think monoprice was one of them.

There are aluminum pucks molded into the glass and you screw the legs into those. It is heavy and seems pretty nicely made. I got it on sale for around 24 euros but it just went up over here to around 40.

Feb 16, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Yes, it's tempered. It's sold here as a house brand but I think I saw the same thing online under several brands. I'm really sorry I can't remember which but I think monoprice was one of them.

There are aluminum pucks molded into the glass and you screw the legs into those. It is heavy and seems pretty nicely made. I got it on sale for around 24 euros but it just went up over here to around 40.

Humm, I guess I will need to reshape my search and see if my local furniture store has something better to offer. Most of the hifi gear store only have huge speaker amp shelf that cost more than few thousand dollars ~

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #6 of 18
I have that setup as well. Tempered glass, holds like 50KG, and looks very good. My brand and model are a bit different, but I've had many monitor stands in the past and none were as good a quality, as simple, nor as stable at this one.

It's called a "Glass monitor stand" and there are hundreds of variations of them on Amazon. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=glass+monitor+stand

Amazon Canada has less of them, and at the ~$30-50 USD price point, it's not too bad to have them shipped form the States anyway.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 18
I have that setup as well. Tempered glass, holds like 50KG, and looks very good. My brand and model are a bit different, but I've had many monitor stands in the past and none were as good a quality, as simple, nor as stable at this one.

It's called a "Glass monitor stand" and there are hundreds of variations of them on Amazon. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=glass+monitor+stand

Amazon Canada has less of them, and at the ~$30-50 USD price point, it's not too bad to have them shipped form the States anyway.
I guess this will be the only option for me for now. Will get the black monoprice one and hope for the best. I might want to stack two on top of each other as my headphone stuff should be light enough.

Feb 17, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 18
I guess this will be the only option for me for now. Will get the black monoprice one and hope for the best. I might want to stack two on top of each other as my headphone stuff should be light enough.

I would not recommend that. Not because of the weight but because the metal legs on glass are not likely to be stable and will concentrate the weight on a small area, not like equipment spread across the glass. Personally I have cleaned up enough broken glass in my life not to get anywhere near that again. To the point I even bought a wood stereo rack. I just hate glass.

Feb 18, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 18
I would vote to go WITH stacking.

The shelves are sturdy and the metal feet on mine have rubber bottoms that "stick" to smooth surfaces to make the shelf more stable. They stick to glass like glue, very sturdy. If you stacked 2 of the same shelf on top of each other, the loadbearing feet would also be on top of each other, which wouldn't compromise the capability of the shelves ones bit.

Either way, I'd start with buying 1 shelf first and having a look at the build quality, sturdiness, and the bottom of the feet. Or like @gimmeheadroom posted from the equipment thread, you could buy a really wide one and just need one. Based on your desk picture, I guess you're looking at more square-shaped shelves and stacking, though.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 18
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 18
I would not recommend that. Not because of the weight but because the metal legs on glass are not likely to be stable and will concentrate the weight on a small area, not like equipment spread across the glass. Personally I have cleaned up enough broken glass in my life not to get anywhere near that again. To the point I even bought a wood stereo rack. I just hate glass.
I will very much prefer a high quality wooden piece for myself. However, I am unable to find quality wooden shelf in similar profiles that actually . I think tempered glass is still much better than composite wood frames~
In terms of weight, I think all my headphone stuff is going to be way below 10 KG in total, so I will not worry too much about it.

Feb 18, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #13 of 18
I will very much prefer a high quality wooden piece for myself. However, I am unable to find quality wooden shelf in similar profiles that actually . I think tempered glass is still much better than composite wood frames~
In terms of weight, I think all my headphone stuff is going to be way below 10 KG in total, so I will not worry too much about it.

You're in the land of carpentry, aren't you? I would guess you could get something made locally that would be wonderful. But for the money, the monoprice/noname thingy is perfectly fine.

Feb 21, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 18
Thanks to all the helps.
My rack arrived today, and it seems work better than I was expecting.
View attachment _ANA8815.JPG

This is with all the headphone cable been plug in:
View attachment _ANA8817.JPG

I think I just have enough space for my Saber X Pro.

Now it comes to me second question:
Any ideas for good heaphone cable manage solution?

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 18
Looks great!

I'm in cable management hell, certainly I can provide no assistance about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back