Best dac or dac/amp for Ultrasone Pro 900s?
Jul 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kazsud

1000+ Head-Fier
Currently I listen to jazz, hip-hop, funk, lounge, rock etc... by way of alac/flac/mp3s

My work setup where I do most of my listening is with Win7>foobar 2000>usb-Nuforce Icon> Ultrasone Pro 900

My home/portable setup is a mba11">Fidelia>usb-Nuforce Icon> Ultrasone Pro 900

I am getting enough bass but would love more detail and soundstage and maybe more separation. I like the sound of the icon but something better so not sure if i should upgrade to the Icon hdp or something else.

I am willing to spend $350-550

My 900s are unbalanced

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Umm.....well ultrasones are low impedance, so Matrix M Stage, Schiit Asgard, Audio GD C2.2 etc

All those are regarded are good high quality amps under $300. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks Vampre50003

What about in the higher end of my budget? I don't mind paying $550 versus $300 if it's gonna sound better

Aug 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I would actually shoot for "darker" sounding amps/dacs in your case... The Ultrasones have very steep highs (they would actually hurt my ears with Nuforce stuff... )

Ultrasones actually don't need a lot of power and I doubt you'll get a HUGE gain with updating the DAC/Amp combo (probably in the bass department, but separation and soundstage on a closed headphone, the gain will not be much I can assure you)... have you tried another pair of headphones that maybe go more with your liking (i.e. something open like the HE-500s or 400, etc.)?

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 6
I just got the 900s and like them a lot w/ the icon. The 900s were very harsh sounding when I first got them especially the highs. But now it doesn't seem to bright to me. I just want to step up to a better quality dac and amp. The icon only has 1 dac chip and the hdp has 4

When I pre-amped the icon w/ my icon mobile I liked how it was a little louder and the bass seemed a bit faster that's why I was thinking i wanted a stronger amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back