Best Closed-back Headphones Under $160?
Jun 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pranesh

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to finally get a good sounding pair of closed-back headphones. I'm mainly going to be using them for listening to indie rock, rap, and some electronica on a laptop or iPod Classic. If anyone can suggest something under $160 that would be great! Bass is nice but I prefer them not to be bass-heavy since I'll be mainly listening to indie rock.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 18
--> http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations

My recommendations would be: Shure SRH440, SRH840, Audio Technica A900X.

In the meantime, you can also use the search function for any other threads similar to this one for recommendation given to other posters. Compile a list of the headphones that most gain your attention and then we can possibly talk about them even more and help you with your decision.

Good luck and welcome to head-fi!

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
Something like the grado sr80i should be nice

if you want spend a little extra the Ath-M50 are pretty nice

Grado's are not closed-back...

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 18
M-Audio Q40's. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 18
I've been looking through some headphones and saw the AKG K271 Mkii. I've heard they have VERY crisp mids, balanced, and are comfortable. A wide soundstage is definitely a plus but I realize with closed-back headphones and a tight budget, there won't be a whole lot. Can anyone comment on this particular pair or provide a better suggestion for the genres I'm into?

I'm still fairly new to the world of audiophilia.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
--> http://www.head-fi.org/f/7840/introductions-help-and-recommendations

My recommendations would be: Shure SRH440, SRH840, Audio Technica A900X.

In the meantime, you can also use the search function for any other threads similar to this one for recommendation given to other posters. Compile a list of the headphones that most gain your attention and then we can possibly talk about them even more and help you with your decision.

Good luck and welcome to head-fi!

Thanks.

The Audio Technica A900X also seems really great! How do they compare to the AKG K271 mkii? Those two may be the ones I'm deciding between.

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
The Audio Technica A900X also seems really great! How do they compare to the AKG K271 mkii? Those two may be the ones I'm deciding between.

Quote:
I've been looking through some headphones and saw the AKG K271 Mkii. I've heard they have VERY crisp mids, balanced, and are comfortable. A wide soundstage is definitely a plus but I realize with closed-back headphones and a tight budget, there won't be a whole lot. Can anyone comment on this particular pair or provide a better suggestion for the genres I'm into?

I'm still fairly new to the world of audiophilia.

Have never used/had the AKGs so I cannot comment on those or any differences...

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #11 of 18
M50 or Shure 840s are your best bet. The M50 are more fun sounding with more color where as the 840s are more analytical and balanced. The M50s often goes on sale for 99-110 bucks.  

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro- Nice full sound and will give you bass if you want it depending on how you equalize it or not.

Ultrasone HFI-780- Very balanced sound that does everything well with every type of music out there. Its the closet yet I have heard to having an open headphone soundstage in a closed headphone. Excellent for what I mainly listen to which is electronic, heavy metal, ambient, classical, 50s Do-whop etc. Oh its also great with movies and pc gaming.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 18
Theres nothing balanced about the 780s, they are bass head cans, more colored than the M50s. Harsh highs though. I think they are absolutely great for trance music, and does have great sound stage. :) Balanced they are not. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Theres nothing balanced about the 780s, they are bass head cans, more colored than the M50s. Harsh highs though. I think they are absolutely great for trance music, and does have great sound stage. :) Balanced they are not. 

Oops when I said balanced I didn't mean neutral. I meant they do everything very well with plenty of everything including the highs which to me aren't harsh but that may have been due to burn in or just that I prefer plenty of treble. So far the only real harsh treble I have heard were some Koss Pro-4AA straight out of the box with no burn in.

But yes the Ultrasone HFI-780 is very colored which am starting to notice more and more am preferring compared to a flat neutral headphone which I usually have to mess with the equalizer to end up with a favorable different sound. With the 780s I don't have to do that I just leave the settings on neutral and I get that "colored" sound.

Thanks for the comparison with the M50 always interesting to see differences :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back