Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 14, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,052 of 9,368
  Masur's Mendelssohn symphonies and overtures are excellent

Masur unfortunately was never a really great conductor and can be very heavyhanded. But, throughout most of his career he has been conducting one of the most exceptional orchestras in the world (Gewandhausorchester) and that can really help.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,053 of 9,368
I gave the Masur/Norman Strauss 4 last songs a listen again last night and it was indeed quite excellent.

It's been about a decade since I've heard these pieces but I think I would still prefer these:

I admit my Szell/Schwarzkopf choice is heavily effected by personal nostalgia of a past place/time in my life.
I generally much prefer Szell's work with The Cleveland Orchestra but as far as his recordings available with other orchestras this stands out.

The Karajan/Janowitz is a standard.
The other pieces on the cd are also highly complimentary and make for a heavy listening session indeed!

As I said though, the Masur/Norman version is quite excellent.

Dec 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #1,054 of 9,368
I so understand the 'personal nostalgia' part..
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,055 of 9,368
  I gave the Masur/Norman Strauss 4 last songs a listen again last night and it was indeed quite excellent.

It's been about a decade since I've heard these pieces but I think I would still prefer these:

I admit my Szell/Schwarzkopf choice is heavily effected by personal nostalgia of a past place/time in my life.
I generally much prefer Szell's work with The Cleveland Orchestra but as far as his recordings available with other orchestras this stands out.

The Karajan/Janowitz is a standard.
The other pieces on the cd are also highly complimentary and make for a heavy listening session indeed!

As I said though, the Masur/Norman version is quite excellent.

Currently I only have the Janowitz/Karajan, and I would love a comparison between the three you have. Do you mind? 

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,058 of 9,368

Currently I only have the Janowitz/Karajan, and I would love a comparison between the three you have. Do you mind? 

I'm not great with adjectives but I feel the Norman/Masur lacks the subtlety and detailed orchestral/singer interplay of the others.
Give them a listen and let me know if you agree...

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,059 of 9,368
Also when listening to Jessye Norman's version I feel there's too much stress on technique whereas in Schwarzkopf's version I feel her technique isn't so much on display and more in sympathy with the text.Of course this is my opinion and Jessye Norman's huge voice has made her many fans.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #1,061 of 9,368
The Schwarzkopf recording would be the one of those I know that I'd prolly recommend as a "library choice"; not the most impressive, gorgeous etc etc one-off but less one-dimensional than most and stays fresh on repeated listenings.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #1,062 of 9,368
  The Schwarzkopf recording would be the one of those I know that I'd prolly recommend as a "library choice"; not the most impressive, gorgeous etc etc one-off but less one-dimensional than most and stays fresh on repeated listenings.

When I read this I interpret your comment to mean the Schwarzkopf is less superficial and has more depth,Is this correct?

Interestingly enough I feel the opposite about the Norman/Masur.
I will say if you're an audiophile wanting to show off the capacity of your audio system the Norman/Masur would be my recommendation.
Excellent sonics in general and amazing depth/presence of vocal sound.

"Impressive" is the word I disagree with.
I think the music/text is better served by the understated approach of the Szell/Schwarzkopf.Of course my opinion.
I'm more impressed by musicians who serve the music/composer first and put themselves second.

The music of Richard Strauss often invites big showpiece type performances though...

Dec 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,063 of 9,368

When I read this I interpret your comment to mean the Schwarzkopf is less superficial and has more depth,Is this correct?

Interestingly enough I feel the opposite about the Norman/Masur.
I will say if you're an audiophile wanting to show off the capacity of your audio system the Norman/Masur would be my recommendation.
Excellent sonics in general and amazing depth/presence of vocal sound.

"Impressive" is the word I disagree with.
I think the music/text is better served by the understated approach of the Szell/Schwarzkopf.Of course my opinion.
I'm more impressed by musicians who serve the music/composer first and put themselves second.

The music of Richard Strauss often invites big showpiece type performances though...

I am almost sure Strauss would disagree with you. He always showed great affinity for the soprano voice (even married one), I can't imagine he would prefer an understated soprano voice in any of his vocal works..

Anyways it's a matter of taste of course..I prefer Norman's interpretation by f a r  
tongue.gif

(comming from a Schwarzkopf fan)

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,064 of 9,368

I am almost sure Strauss would disagree with you. He always showed great affinity for the soprano voice (even married one), I can't imagine he would prefer an understated soprano voice in any of his vocal works..

Anyways it's a matter of taste of course..I prefer Norman's interpretation by f a r  
tongue.gif

(comming from a Schwarzkopf fan)

Considering Szell was personal friends with Strauss and Strauss purportedly was quoted as saying "that he could die a happy man knowing that there was someone who performed his music so perfectly" about Szell I think you're first sentence stands on shaky ground historically.And those who know about Szell were well aware he was not afraid to give advice to even the greatest of soloists.

But you're right "it's a matter of taste".
Based on the amount of Norman recordings vs. Schwarzkopf recordings at my public library many people agree with you.

Dec 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,065 of 9,368
Schwarzkopf was one of the greatest singers who ever lived. It doesn't get much better than her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back