Best classical recordings...ever!
Dec 12, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #1,021 of 9,368

This is opinion not fact.

Not all opinions are created equal. Some are informed opinions that are backed up by supporting evidence.

One individual has another psychological type- or make up as you will.. then the other. Intuitional experience is other then an analytical one.. One is not better then the other, just different..

To be more specific, when I speak for myself, I'm a romantic, I experience music as a connection with a unspeakable individuality..seen in the historical context of human development..

If I connect, I develop a friendship or even love for the individual that speaks (the unspeakable) so beautiful and eloquently..

The nuance which a performing entity bring to the table, adds another layer to the experience..

When I read musical analysis on, say Beethoven's string quartets, it is alway a bit of a disappointment for me, it does little for my aesthetics, it seems so bloody trivial...

The big flaw of the 'not all opinions are created equal' argument is the fact it translates to 'your opinions are not equal to mine'

When you read music critics over the last ages, the red thread is clearly a lack of insight in the different psychological types, their own being the objective 'truthful' one, the others the misguided ones.. it's all balony, if you ask me
tongue_smile.gif

Hope this makes some sence.. cheers.

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #1,022 of 9,368
Although I find interesting the philosophy chat, I would like to point two nice opportunities (both in iTunes) about really good stuff that was discussed here:

Heifetz + Sibeliius for U$ 5
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sibelius-violin-concerto-in/id458436919

and
Furtwangler in Bayreuth 1951 9th Beethoven for the same U$ 5
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/ludwig-van-beethoven-symphony/id405832179

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,023 of 9,368
im looking for new enough (in the last 15 years) and good recordings of string quartets. Anyone have any good suggestions? 

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,024 of 9,368
  im looking for new enough (in the last 15 years) and good recordings of string quartets. Anyone have any good suggestions? 

IMO Borodin Quartet Shostakovich & Schubert are splendid, (though a bit older then 15 yrs) Alexander Quartet (last one) of Beethoven is very very good, as is Takacs Quartet..Emerson Quartet is great with Schubert, Quatuor Mosaiques is very good for Haydn and Mozart.. There is a new 10 cd Haydn box out for around 30 UK pounds, best Haydn everr
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #1,025 of 9,368

IMO Borodin Quartet Shostakovich & Schubert are splendid, (though a bit older then 15 yrs) Alexander Quartet (last one) of Beethoven is very very good, as is Takacs Quartet..Emerson Quartet is great with Schubert, Quatuor Mosaiques is very good for Haydn and Mozart.. There is a new 10 cd Haydn box out for around 30 UK pounds, best Haydn everr
biggrin.gif

thanks i will have a look now

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,028 of 9,368

Obviously.

But:

For example: Stravinsky, arguably one of the greatest composers of the 20th century, hated Wagner's music and had lot of reasons which he thought were well thought out and he articulated(I won't go into detail here info is easy to find online or in books) to show it's weaknesses and faults.

I think it's safe to say that both you and I both like Wagner's music.

Maybe you're intellectual stature is  above Stravinsky but mine is not.

I still think he was wrong but a lot of others agree with him.

Who's right?
All of us?

Maybe Stravinsky was "uninformed"?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,033 of 9,368

Do you mean new compositions by contemporary composers?

no, sorry. I should have specified - just new recordings. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,035 of 9,368
  Bought this on LP recently, stunning 
eek.gif

no, sorry. I should have specified - just new recordings. 

I've heard it on cd years ago and remember it being very good.
In fact it's the only Masur recording I remember at all.

Granted I haven't listened to him lately but I gave him a chance once upon a time.
Maybe I'll give him a second chance one of these winter nights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back