Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 15, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #8,446 of 9,368
The Kempff et al. Triple is a darn good one as well.
Not sure what's so "infamous" about the Oistrakh/Richter/Rostropovitch Triple. Full-blooded playing, imo.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #8,447 of 9,368
I'd love to hear the Karajan all-star Triple, either way. But it seems that Richter later came out against it, and some of the critics condemned it as being somehow a bad recording.

Probably it has to do with a certain amount of hubris that hit the industry at the height of the era where 'regular' people in the street knew big named musicians and composers. The idea that if you put them in the room, they'll talk, apparently isn't an invention of John Kerry. It's was popular in the 1970s in classical music, too. (Doesn't mean it's wrong, though.)

For an interesting discussion on that, see:
http://www.gramophone.co.uk/forum/recordings/beethoven-triple-concerto-karajan

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #8,448 of 9,368
  I'd love to hear the Karajan all-star Triple, either way. But it seems that Richter later came out against it, and some of the critics condemned it as being somehow a bad recording.

Probably it has to do with a certain amount of hubris that hit the industry at the height of the era where 'regular' people in the street knew big named musicians and composers. The idea that if you put them in the room, they'll talk, apparently isn't an invention of John Kerry. It's was popular in the 1970s in classical music, too. (Doesn't mean it's wrong, though.)

We talked about this recording a bit earlier in the thread. I've always felt they make it a "Concerto for 3 Soloists" rather than a "Triple Concerto." Among recordings of similar vintage I like Stern/Rose/Istomin better, and the more modern Shaham/Mork/Bronfman makes me jam too.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #8,449 of 9,368
Not sure what's so "infamous" about the Oistrakh/Richter/Rostropovitch Triple. Full-blooded playing, imo.

Wasn't there some audio critic from one of usual suspect hifi magazines prizing it as THE record to die for only until after some music expert found out and frequency tests revealed that the speed / pitch was off by 3 or 4 hz, that critic retracted and the speed corrected version was then the one waaay better ... similar to various renditions of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue".

Btw I listened to this one last night :
512Q1K78XPL.jpg

Delightfull
beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #8,450 of 9,368
Huh, I didn't know any of this about the Triple (oops -- "Cto for Three"!). Must have missed my issues of the Grapevines of Classical Musik. 

Hey Quinto, that Dvorak Dance disc from Mercury Box, was pretty good! Didn't think I would like it, but it's a gem.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #8,451 of 9,368

There's an hour long richter documentary on Youtube floating around, there Richter goes into detail about how surreal he found the whole experience. Apparently they all fell out with each other at one point or another, and Richter just couldn't get his head around all the publicity stunts that Karajan seemed so preoccupied with.

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #8,452 of 9,368

We talked about this recording a bit earlier in the thread. I've always felt they make it a "Concerto for 3 Soloists" rather than a "Triple Concerto." Among recordings of similar vintage I like Stern/Rose/Istomin better, and the more modern Shaham/Mork/Bronfman makes me jam too.

Bronfman <3

Sep 15, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #8,453 of 9,368

Thx for that link. Quite a wide range of opins there. I gotta get the Arrau/Szeryng triple. Haven't heard it yet.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #8,459 of 9,368

Anything beyond his LvB with Zinman you recommend?

His Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff is up there with the best. I also have his Beethoven piano concerto cycle, which is great also. He plays with such majesty.

A lot of videos of him on youtube playing live, good insight, shame about the SQ and VQ though!

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #8,460 of 9,368
  His Prokofiev and Rachmaninoff is up there with the best. I also have his Beethoven piano concerto cycle, which is great also. He plays with such majesty.

A lot of videos of him on youtube playing live, good insight, shame about the SQ and VQ though!

He does a pretty good Emperor concerto.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back