Best classical recordings...ever!
Sep 14, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #8,435 of 9,368

Some rare good recording LPs(even modern classical Karhaintz Stockhausen's LP!) have not published as CDs yet.
my local music friend is crying about it...

R-8015072-1469452083-2633.jpeg.jpg

This is the one I want to get converted. It's the best Schumann Dichterliebe recording imo, just look at the accompanist! 

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #8,439 of 9,368
  @uchi,  I sincerely hope that the reptiles do not also get transferred when you digitize this baby. 
biggrin.gif

This is a digitised rip I think of the same LP, not too 

considering the SQ, cortot must have been ancient when he recorded this... 

Sep 15, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #8,441 of 9,368
^. So GG has been dethroned?!
mad.gif

Schiff is great, and the recording is superb, but GG is too idiosyncratic to be dethroned. More like a neighboring throne in a different kingdom. I'll have to check out the Richter. 

Going through the 17-disc set "The Truth of Beethoven" that apparently only came out in Israel (probably for copyright reasons).

This is a typical disc:
David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin doing Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 9 in A-major "Kreutzer" (1956, TESTAMENT/EMI) sounds quite good considering it's 60 years old. Combine that with the One Movement Piano Trio in B-flat Maj, Wihelm Kempff, Henryk Szeryng (violin) and Peirre Fournier (1970, DG), and then finish off with the String Quartet No. 7 in F-Maj, "Rasumowsky" with the Quartetto Italiano (1974, Philips).

I honestly don't know how they managed to construct these albums, but they're really good despite the strange juxtaposition of labels and time periods. 

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #8,443 of 9,368
  Schiff is great, and the recording is superb, but GG is too idiosyncratic to be dethroned. More like a neighboring throne in a different kingdom. I'll have to check out the Richter. 

Going through the 17-disc set "The Truth of Beethoven" that apparently only came out in Israel (probably for copyright reasons).

This is a typical disc:
David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin doing Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 9 in A-major "Kreutzer" (1956, TESTAMENT/EMI) sounds quite good considering it's 60 years old. Combine that with the One Movement Piano Trio in B-flat Maj, Wihelm Kempff, Henryk Szeryng (violin) and Peirre Fournier (1970, DG), and then finish off with the String Quartet No. 7 in F-Maj, "Rasumowsky" with the Quartetto Italiano (1974, Philips).

I honestly don't know how they managed to construct these albums, but they're really good despite the strange juxtaposition of labels and time periods. 

Nice set you have there. I have those recs separately, and the violin sons by Oistrakh are terrific. Not sure about Oborin. I would have preferred someone like Kempff who is more poetic. (Kempff did record a few sonatas with Menuhin, I believe. The Kreutzer and Spring sonatas, if I remember right). I was listening to the Triple Cto last night on my floor system, with Richter, Oistrakh, and Rostropovich. That is still my go-to for the Triple. What an under-performed piece (at least in concert nowadays) as it contains so many humming-good melodies. A real gem of a piece, and a great rec.

The Italianos do a great quartet cycle (esp with SQ), it's probably my fav, up there with Prazak, Tokyo (1990s), and the Berg.

Bring a good pillow for the Richter D.960 
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #8,445 of 9,368

This is a typical disc:

Nice set you have there. I have those recs separately, and the violin sons by Oistrakh are terrific. Not sure about Oborin. I would have preferred someone like Kempff who is more poetic. (Kempff did record a few sonatas with Menuhin, I believe. The Kreutzer and Spring sonatas, if I remember right). I was listening to the Triple Cto last night on my floor system, with Richter, Oistrakh, and Rostropovich. That is still my go-to for the Triple. What an under-performed piece (at least in concert nowadays) as it contains so many humming-good melodies. A real gem of a piece, and a great rec.

Menuhin and Kempff recorded all the Beethoven sonatas, but to my ears the Oistrakh-Oborin set is preferable.I also prefer the Kempff-Schneiderhahn-Fournier-Fricsay recording of the Triple concerto to the in-famous Karajan-All Star rendition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back