Mar 6, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,491 of 9,368
  It wasn't published in 1914 though.

Hey take it easy there...

I said "mostly".
smile.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #1,493 of 9,368
  It wasn't published in 1914 though.

One of the interesting things about Ives is many of his greatest works
(like The Three pieces, Concord Sonata and the 4th Symphony)
were all regarded as processes of long term reflection and revision rather than one object to be completed for an occasion.

This is partly because he was an insurance salesman and very few people of his time(1914 etc..) could recognize the importance of his work.
Even fewer would pay for any of it.

Mar 10, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #1,495 of 9,368
Mar 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #1,496 of 9,368
Pieter Wispelwey' s 2nd recording of Bach's Cello Suites is the definitive version in my opinion and very well recorded to.

http://www.channelclassics.com/pieter-wispelwey-suites-for-violoncello-solo.html

This is one of the best sounding symphony orchestra recordings ever made:

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-rachmaninov--symphonic-dances.aspx

And this guy must be the ''worlds best trumpet player'' Lovely choice of repertoire and incredible well recorded.

http://www.soundliaison.com/products-from-our-studio-masters/71-andre-heuvelman

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #1,497 of 9,368
  Pieter Wispelwey' s 2nd recording of Bach's Cello Suites is the definitive version in my opinion and very well recorded to.

one should be careful with using the word "definitive" (even if tempered by "in my opinion") for a sacred cow like the Cello Suites, unless they are trying to start a heated discussion...

Having only heard Suite No 1 so far, I would say that Wispelwey is trying too hard, waaay too hard, to sound different from the other 666 recordings of the Suites. He does manage to do that, but in the process he takes takes so many liberties with the phrasing of the music that it almost becomes a parody. I also found incredibly annoying his continuous tapping on the cello. Is this meant to be authentic practice or just another way to attract attention to his performance? Definitely worth a listen, and thanks for the pointer, but much less "definitive" then say Fournier or Bylsma.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,498 of 9,368
I started listening to the 3rd(!) recording of the Cello Suites by Wispelwey. Suite #1 is even more extreme than in the 2nd cycle you recommended. The guy obviously likes to epater les bourgeois!

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #1,499 of 9,368
one should be careful with using the word "definitive" (even if tempered by "in my opinion") for a sacred cow like the Cello Suites, unless they are trying to start a heated discussion...

Having only heard Suite No 1 so far, I would say that Wispelwey is trying too hard, waaay too hard, to sound different from the other 666 recordings of the Suites. He does manage to do that, but in the process he takes takes so many liberties with the phrasing of the music that it almost becomes a parody. I also found incredibly annoying his continuous tapping on the cello. Is this meant to be authentic practice or just another way to attract attention to his performance? Definitely worth a listen, and thanks for the pointer, but much less "definitive" then say Fournier or Bylsma.

I've never been able to make it through any rendition without falling asleep. Maybe I should try a piano transcription.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,500 of 9,368
I've never been able to make it through any rendition without falling asleep. Maybe I should try a piano transcription.

One suite, maximum two, is the limit of my attention span. That's the problem with Bach music (which I love): it is hard work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back